U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-18-2009, 05:34 PM

77 posts, read 136,971 times
Default failed inspection question

failed my inspection on a home today because inspector detected stair step cracks on outside wall, home is 3yrs old! its bank owned and my realtor is gonna suggest they fix it or there may be a chance the builder is responsible to fix! really like home but this is a serious issue im trying to remain optimistic wont have an answer till mon or tues any realtor or buyer have a similar problem? any suggestions

Last edited by hatemiami1170; 07-18-2009 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: add picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:25 PM

4,514 posts, read 4,764,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatemiami1170 View Post
failed my inspection on a home today because inspector detected stair step cracks on outside wall, home is 3yrs old! its bank owned and my realtor is gonna suggest they fix it or there may be a chance the builder is responsible to fix! really like home but this is a serious issue im trying to remain optimistic wont have an answer till mon or tues any realtor or buyer have a similar problem? any suggestions
I've heard that the banks will fix stuff now and then, which surprised me. Did anybody get an estimate? Are you saying the wall is cracked from the stairs where they're attached? So it's essentially foundation damage? Or is it just the stairs?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:57 AM

578 posts, read 1,004,788 times
Make sure you get the issue fixed BEFORE you close. After that all bets are off. Suggestion, if the builder has the same name as a German luxury car then RUN RUN RUN GO FAR FAR AWAY!!!!!! Look them up on Google if you don't believe me. Just put in their name and then complaints and you will be surprised at what you find.

Other than that get three estimates on how much it will take to fix the issue and then deduct the most expensive one from your offer should they try to make it as is. Also I would be surprised that your lender would approve this sale unless the house passed the inspection.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:10 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,805,017 times
If the house is only 3 years old I would be concerned about what caused the crack and whether the underlying cause would rear up again i nthe next few years. Here in Tampa I would immediately worry about a sinkhole. I lived in the Treasure Coast for 5 years and don't recall hearing about sinkholes so that probably isn't the issue, but I would wonder whether the house has some settling left to do,

Old 07-22-2009, 07:27 AM

578 posts, read 1,004,788 times
Some of the builders just threw up homes. Some of them had bad sub contractors. A dead give away is if you walk in the house and see lenolium (or how ever you spell that) floors. I had a realator tell me that the builder did not lay tile because the house needs to settle. Well let me tell you that if the pad is poured correctly the cracks will be minimal. Our house is now 3 years old and has only minor cracking. Those things are easy to fix but you have to get on them. Major cracks like that are an indication that the house will have much more major problems in the future.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Status: "Moved in to our new PGA Village office!" (set 10 days ago)

2,386 posts, read 2,884,823 times
I think if I saw "stair step" foundation cracks on the outside of a home I would walk away.

I've seen them in exterior walls there were NOT a part of the home (such as a privacy wall) and we talked about taking the wall down because it was no longer stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach