U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:24 PM

14,267 posts, read 16,915,459 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there has been a post or 2 about this in the past, but I'd like to hear some current opinions about Port Saint Lucie regarding the general atmosphere of the city.

Since I've lived in Florida for many years, I realize there are lots of stereotypes wherever you go. For example, Naples is the home to many multi-millionaires and celebrities. So is Miami. One of the Michael Jackson specials last week said he loved the Palm Beach area and considered buying a home there. When they showed the mansion on the beach, it was the size of a resort. The bathroom looked larger than some of my apartments! Yet these towns also have poor residents and lots of working class stiffs like me. West Palm Beach is rated one of the most dangerous, high crime areas in the country.

Today I was told "don't move to Port Saint Lucie because you'll be unhappy. It's all blue collar." Last month a friend who used to live in Sebastian told me I'd be miserable in Port Saint Lucie. A few days ago, I mentioned to a neighbor I've been looking at house online in Port Saint Lucie and she responded "That's not a very nice place to live. It's nothing like Vero Beach. You won't be happy living there since it's all working class people."

Well, since I have to work for a living, what does that make me? I'm guessing they mean "redneck" which is why I am asking for honest opinions from people who moved to Port Saint Lucie from another area. I was just there last week, but I was only looking at a mobile home to rent in Spanish Lakes and then I drove back to Vero, so I didn't really see any neighborhoods. The trailer backed up to US 1 or I might have taken it for a month or 2, since it was really cheap. Still, since I'm sitting here now with a broken little toe, it's probably a good thing I didn't, and I just extended my lease in Vero Beach for another month. Can't imagine trying to schlep all my stuff to the car and then unpack it.

So, please tell me why so many people tell me not to move to Port Saint Lucie when the properties are so reasonable & I can find a nice house that won't break the bank.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 04:24 PM

15,021 posts, read 10,565,094 times
Why did you extent your Vero Beach lease instead of renting in PSL to develop your own opinion before buying?

Old 07-30-2009, 04:33 PM

17,288 posts, read 26,941,837 times
Port St. Lucie IS a mostly working class and middle class city --- and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! It's not significantly different, though. Check up on the median incomes for PSL and the surrounding cities, and it's not like the difference is Bartow vs. Jupiter Island!

Even for its mostly blue collar roots, PSL does have million dollar homes on the river and intracoastal, as well as nicer new gated developments that can rival some of those in Palm Beach County.

The fallacy that many other people on the Treasure Coast have about PSL is that they forget that PSL is HUGE - population and landwise compared to any other city on the Treasure Coast. If moving to PSL, you could spend days touring different areas of town. You can find any kind of property or neighborhood you want --- retirement village, trailer park (though the trailer parks in PSL are actually nice, b/c they are 55+), waterfront, estate homes, cookie cutter, lots of land, in the woods, etc. etc. etc. PSL is home to Tradition, Club Med, PGA Village, and the Mets. It's sometimes boring and sprawling, but commercial development is catching up to the population, and when it does, I suspect a lot of the surrounding communities are going to lament the loss of "working class" population going to their stores. It does lack the charm that many cutesy little towns on the treasure coast have, but heck, the unwashed masses have to live SOMEWHERE, right? There might as well be a place where working people can get a decent home on a slice of land in a safe area.

To be frank, as someone who grew up in a barely working class household in PSL, I never ever could understand the snobbery from people who live "around" PSL have their noses in their air. The whole area bleeds into each other.... it all looks the same to me, and the youth of all of the Treasure Coast often mix and hang out together.

Unless people are living on the barrier Islands, one must remember that PROXIMITY to richness does not make one rich or cultured themselves.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
Why did you extent your Vero Beach lease instead of renting in PSL to develop your own opinion before buying?
Didn't I explain? I'll have to go back and read my post, but I'm sure I've mentioned several times on this board I broke my toe a few days ago, but maybe you didn't read my other posts.

Okay ...just reread my post and I mentioned it on this thread as well. I also had trouble finding a 1 or 2 month rental in PSL in a reasonable price range. Most people want a minimum of 3 months or their condo association requires it. Extending my lease for 1 month got me a nice discount on the rent. Sorry I asked the question.

By the way, I've been in Vero Beach for 2 months now. That doesn't mean I really know the area. I lived in Bonita Springs for 13 years and my experience was probably a lot different from someone who lived in a gated golf course community. I was just asking, that's all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
To be frank, as someone who grew up in a barely working class household in PSL, I never ever could understand the snobbery from people who live "around" PSL have their noses in their air. The whole area bleeds into each other.... it all looks the same to me, and the youth of all of the Treasure Coast often mix and hang out together.
Thanks for your response. I heard the same comments from people in Naples about Bonita Springs when I first moved there and it's a beautiful city, just more working people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Port St. Lucie IS a mostly working class and middle class city --- and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!
I agree. Also, when people use "blue collar" and "white collar" it often makes no sense when referring to lifestyle or income. A lot of blue collar workers make 6 figure incomes and many white collar workers make bubkas.

Last edited by justNancy; 07-30-2009 at 05:05 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 PM

15,021 posts, read 10,565,094 times
Renting for three months at whatever price range is a good investment before purchasing. This is my outlook and frankly, ......... no I did not read your other posts.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:12 PM

150 posts, read 663,476 times
I moved to PSL from S.Fla 2 yrs ago.and love it.Many of our friends couldn't understand why we'd want to live in PSL.I guess they thought we'd miss the endless rising HOA fees, high-priced malls,and endless hours wasted in traffic.Give me the blue-collar working families anyday.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post
I moved to PSL from S.Fla 2 yrs ago.and love it.Many of our friends couldn't understand why we'd want to live in PSL.I guess they thought we'd miss the endless rising HOA fees, high-priced malls,and endless hours wasted in traffic.Give me the blue-collar working families anyday.
Thanks for your post. Sounds nice.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:07 PM

92 posts, read 338,690 times
The friendly people in PSL just amaze me. So far I've only met one grouch.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:56 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,832,323 times
PSL is just fantastic. We did have a home in Ft Lauderdale and soon discovered it is a place of "Who's-Who". I believe if we continue to identify some with those noisy labels, the results may have "outsiders' believe the community named PSL is one of working adults that work all day for minimum wage which not a place they want to call home..

I belong to a group of Veterans consisting of a small amount of non-working adults who either worked and retired or found we do not need to work and enjoy life so we don't work, so to say.....We do work in a way to support those in need and seek those who need support and guidance. We thoroughly enjoy helping others and expect nothing in return. We do start with supporting Veterans because all but one in our group is a Veteran of combat and enjoys helping others. Some of us are former successful business owners or educated Veterans who enjoy helping others. Several of us have Masters degrees and one has a Masters Degree in the healthcare industry.

If I may speak for all of us, I can simply say we love regular people who do regular things to support themselves in a regular community. I also believe if some do not want to enjoy PSL then I am sorry for them because they are missing out on the majority of the mixture of people who reside in the USA.

I do believe the middle class working regular families are our greatest asset... When we first moved to our new home in PSL we search the SE and West coasts of Florida. We spent a week in PSL and after 2 full years of living in this good community I still find it a bit hard to accept the friendly "Hi" and "How ya doing" we often receive from the new people we meet.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:58 PM

92 posts, read 338,690 times
Synergy, I totally agree.

We've visited PSL 4 times in the past year. Everyone we came in contact with was so warm and friendly and just "regular" people.The town itself seems clean and well cared for.

In fact, we just returned from PSL last night. We spend 3 weeks in our home there and loved every minute. We'll be moving down permanently this fall. Can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach