Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,358 times

Advertisements

Well first off hello. My first post and thread. Here is my situation with a bit of history...

I'm moving to Florida. My ex lives in Margate. Yes we are going to be seeing each other again, and are planning on a reconciliation. High school sweethearts (both of us 40 now), and we have a 2 year old daughter that lives with me full time in Texas. We had talked about moving to Florida throughout our marriage, as we have both lived there in the past. She in Ft Lauderdale, me in Tampa. But we are mainly from Texas. She moved to Florida after the divorce. she's living with a friend, and my daughter and I by ourselves.

My ex works in retail management for a large chain store. I'm a landscape professional. I also currently have a class A cdl license. I worked for Miller/Coors as a driver until the divorce, when 17 hour days became impossible as a single parent. We figure a monthly combined income of roughly $2500-$3000 per month after taxes just to be safe. Both cars are paid for, no bills outside basic living expenses, and child care. As you can see we are by no means rich. We both have bad credit(long story) and will have to look at renting until things turn around for us, and we get some money saved.

The plan: She along with some help from me and the computer is going to scout out and find us a place to live. She is going to foot the bill for us to move in. I'm going to foot the bill to get our daughter and myself and all our household belongings to Florida, with a small reserve of cash to operate from until I find work. But I will need to go to work pretty quick doing anything that can bring in at least $1500 to keep on budget. Hoping of course that I can land a good paying job and stick with that, or market my lawn biz and get that going again. My ex is going to commute to Margate until she can transfer, but they need to have an opening at her level so it might be a bit before she could do that.

My questions are:
Are these 2 places good for work these days?
Do you guys think I have a shot at getting a lawn biz going fairly quickly?
I mean i'm just about willing to do whatever to make money these days, but it's a hard market with limited skills. Those skills being lawn and landscape, and truck driving.

It seems that Vero Beach is an awsome place and right up our alley so to speak. But i'm worried about what i've read on employment here in the forums and seen on monsterdotcom. Nothing fits my skill set. I haven't actually checked out PSL yet, so I don't have an opinion about that. It seems as the schools are good in either place, but not much on daycares. I would like a christian based program if possible.

Not sure what else right now as i'm out of time, but i'm sure I will think of something later on. What do you guys and gals think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 01:27 PM

87 posts, read 242,520 times
Default ummmmm

Hate to be negative here.....not sure about the lawn business...sure someone else can give their opinion....but even after 4 years of college and extensive experience in the healthcare industry...I have been out of work for 4 months. Port St Lucie has one of the highest unemployment rates in the US. I do like Vero but am not familiar with the demography per se. If you want to work in PSL and barely get by and hope (and change LOL) that the economy turns around....good luck.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,922,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge View Post

My questions are:
Nice places to live. Right now unemployment is high.
Quote:
As you know, any business takes time to build, even in better economic times. You need to network.
Quote:
I mean i'm just about willing to do whatever to make money these days, but it's a hard market with limited skills. Those skills being lawn and landscape, and truck driving.
Then you might find something quickly, although it probably won't pay what you want or be in the field you desire.
Quote:
It seems that Vero Beach is an awsome place
Much of Vero is very pretty and the beaches are pristine. PSL is more family oriented, however. Both have a lot of retirees.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,411,864 times
Quote:
Well first off hello. My first post and thread. Here is my situation with a bit of history...

I'm moving to Florida. My ex lives in Margate. Yes we are going to be seeing each other again, and are planning on a reconciliation. High school sweethearts (both of us 40 now), and we have a 2 year old daughter that lives with me full time in Texas. We had talked about moving to Florida throughout our marriage, as we have both lived there in the past. She in Ft Lauderdale, me in Tampa. But we are mainly from Texas. She moved to Florida after the divorce. she's living with a friend, and my daughter and I by ourselves.

My ex works in retail management for a large chain store. I'm a landscape professional. I also currently have a class A cdl license. I worked for Miller/Coors as a driver until the divorce, when 17 hour days became impossible as a single parent. We figure a monthly combined income of roughly $2500-$3000 per month after taxes just to be safe. Both cars are paid for, no bills outside basic living expenses, and child care. As you can see we are by no means rich. We both have bad credit(long story) and will have to look at renting until things turn around for us, and we get some money saved.

The plan: She along with some help from me and the computer is going to scout out and find us a place to live. She is going to foot the bill for us to move in. I'm going to foot the bill to get our daughter and myself and all our household belongings to Florida, with a small reserve of cash to operate from until I find work. But I will need to go to work pretty quick doing anything that can bring in at least $1500 to keep on budget. Hoping of course that I can land a good paying job and stick with that, or market my lawn biz and get that going again. My ex is going to commute to Margate until she can transfer, but they need to have an opening at her level so it might be a bit before she could do that.

My questions are:

It seems that Vero Beach is an awsome place and right up our alley so to speak. But i'm worried about what i've read on employment here in the forums and seen on monsterdotcom. Nothing fits my skill set. I haven't actually checked out PSL yet, so I don't have an opinion about that. It seems as the schools are good in either place, but not much on daycares. I would like a christian based program if possible.

Not sure what else right now as i'm out of time, but i'm sure I will think of something later on. What do you guys and gals think?

I'm not sure where to start, but I'd have to say that if your "purpose" of this move(getting your family back together, which I applaud you by the way) has anything to do with what you want out of the end run I think you'll do good.

If I had to choose between PSL or Vero I would pick Vero in a heart beat. I am bias of course because I lived there for 10 years and met my wife there as well. She was born and raised there and loved every minute of it.

Of course when I lived there the economy was booming and they were building houses left and right and the property values were soaring as well. The only reason we left was because my wife is active duty military and was on leave when I met her. I never thought I'd leave Vero or Indian River county "period" after moving there in 1997. It was my paradise so to speak, after the hustle and bustle of the Washington , DC area.

But here is my advice to you: When I moved to Vero in 1997 I had to re-invent myself somewhat. I was a plumbing contractor in the Washington DC area when I moved to Florida. I quickly was shocked at how much of a income difference there was from the middle Atlantic region to the Treasure Coast of Florida. So I worked as a plumber for awhile ,but found it very discouraging for the pay. I quickly discovered that I could go to work in a supply house/retail with my experience and sell plumbing fixtures etc for the same pay I was making beating myself up installing and lived comfortable.

I also enjoyed it ten time better as well . I would say to you if you can afford a trip out to Vero or PSL and do some leg work if possible. It would be a great benefit for you if you could.

If your going the Lawn and landscape route, its very competitive everywhere in Florida I'm sure. But places are looking for fresh faces all the time. Research the barrier Island for business because almost all of it uses lawn care or landscapers. Plus thats where the money is in Indian River County. Don't get me wrong if your more the regular homeowner/retiree kind of lawn care person there is a lot of business there , but there are alot of people in it as well.

The commute for your wife to Margate from Vero would be hell I'd have to admit, 2hrs and that's with no problems along the way which there always seems to be on 95 or the turnpike at least it was when I lived there.

Maybe someone from PSL can chime in about any opportunities or advice about that area. Of course it would be a shorter commute for your wife. But that's all I know really about PSL, yes I went down there but don't know enough to make a decision about moving there or not.

If I could snap my fingers and make thing completely the way I wanted them to be I would move back to Vero tomorrow and raise my family. But my wife is going to finish out her career in the Navy, which means I'll probably be close to a retiree when I get back there myself.

Wish you all the luck in the world , but I don't think you'll need it.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:43 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,194,261 times
Well.. neither one of you have a job here. Job opportunities are hard to come by no matter where you are right now- it's the general economy. If you don't have savings to keep you going for a while well, or at least one job you might want to reconsider.

The lawn/landscaping business is everywhere in Florida and I'm sure since we are now coming to less lawn cuts in the winter months it will be a bidding war for services and is already I'm sure. Everyone has cut back on expenses.

PSL is very family oriented will all age groups and plenty of children. I don't find Vero as family oriented and more retired than here. I actually don't consider PSL a retirement area at all even though we do have our share. Most of the homes here are not geared that way but are more 3 and 4 bedroom plus homes especially in the western section of town.

Driving to her work in Margate will get very old and very expensive very fast. Consider the gas costs alone in your living expenses much less the wear and tear on your family life.

Not giving you the best of news, but I think a job would be first thing on my list.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:29 AM

152 posts, read 465,478 times
I would not consider moving to Florida too earn a living ..even in the good old days wages were low
compaired to the unionized north east...I though about it years ago and had a job offer in Crystal
river, I stuck it out in Jersey and I'm glad I did..I have a pension and retired early..now ready for Florida.
A guy I worked with just before retiring moved his family down to Tampa for a good job in the construction industry..When that crapped out he got a good job as a mechanic in a theme park.That
job also flopped..He's back in Jersey..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach