Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 05:02 PM

152 posts, read 463,821 times

Advertisements

So what is it going to take for the people in Florida, myself included in the future, to fix this thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 01:14 AM

375 posts, read 908,633 times
Don't know, I had to rent my house out b/c I couldn't afford it anymore. I still lose $350/month from rent but at least I am holding onto my house instead of losing it. Believe it or not, it was cheaper to move and rent it out then to stay. Which county are you in?

Old 10-15-2009, 05:14 PM

152 posts, read 463,821 times
I live in Cape may county, but if, or when, we sell our house..we are moving to north Saint Lucie county.Have family there..Wife wants to be near family...

Old 10-19-2009, 09:44 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,044,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelb View Post
I know, I have the same issues. You have no idea how much it makes me mad that I have to pay more taxes on my house than the people across the street who have a pool and a second floor addition that was just done. Because I bought it later than they did and b/c I can't get homestead since I rent it out, even though it's my only residence...
If you own a second home in Fla, but don't rent it out, while maintaining official residence in another state, do you pay a higher level of RE tax?

Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 AM

Heard St Lucie is nice! I'd love to move back to FL one day, who knows?

In terms of the owning of a second home in FL but not renting out, I am not sure, but I think you would get the homestead exemption as you would be the primary resident.

For me, I did the 'right' thing by letting the county know that I wasn't living there, so I lost my homestead, but the interesting thing is that my insurance went down by having a renter in there, as I don't have to cover the interior contents.

I have seen on the property appraiser website that ppl who I knew didn't live there still had the homestead on it, which meant lower taxes. So, I am sure that there must have been a way around it.

You can access property appraiser info, which might help guide you with more of the specifics about what you will end up paying as well as answer your questions.

Just google 'property appraiser ________ county, Fl" and you should be able to find it!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:54 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,004,106 times
You can only bhave one homestead. If you get it in another state, you can't have it here.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,004,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
If you own a second home in Fla, but don't rent it out, while maintaining official residence in another state, do you pay a higher level of RE tax?
You don't pay higher taxes than someone who lives here. You don't get the discounts that a person who has the homestead gets.

Residents get a discount off the regular taxes.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:26 PM

HI there

Saw this article today and thought it might be interesting to you guys:

Fla. appeal court hears Save Our Homes case | floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach