Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:19 AM

9 posts, read 33,589 times

Advertisements

I had a job interview in St Lucie county recently. Some of the older people I met told me that it is difficult for younger people in the area when it comes to networking, finding something to do, etc.

Is it really as hard as they claim? I'm a single male, very active and athletic, love water sports (swimming, sailing, waterskiing, kayaking, etc) and the job is good. The only thing that seems to be missing is a crowd my age and a jazz/blues club.

Would I do better commuting from Stuart or Jupiter? Perhaps Vero Beach?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:46 AM

56 posts, read 170,426 times
Don't know about now, but I'm hoping to move in a few years and I'm 22 lol!

Old 05-15-2007, 10:04 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,729 times
After my son graduated from college, he returned to Port St. Lucie to take advantage of the fact that he was one of the first generation of "kids" to grow up in the city. He was 1 year old when we moved here in 1972. He bought a house, started his own appraisal firm and worked with me at our retail business. He was successful economically, but by the time he was 32, he was choking socially. He gave up the independent businesses and went to work for a large national bank as an appraiser located in their Boynton Beach office.

He's been there about 4 years, has been promoted several times to regional manager of appraisers, has a wide circle of single friends, is busy socially all the time, and even finally has a serious girlfriend. She is also in her mid-thirties, has never been married and has a career; the chances of him finding that girl up in St. Lucie are slim to none.

So, what is the problem with St. Lucie? Simple . Most of the young folks moving in are married. Port St. Lucie is an ideal community for young families. They have their social life, but it tends to revolve around tee-ball and school events. For example, when he was in his early twenties, my son joined the local Jaycees to find new friends. All of the other members were married, and he was odd man out.

He is a lot like you when it comes to sports -- had a Hobie Cat that he earned himself when he was in high school, later a pair of jet-skis and then a center cuddy dive/fishing boat, certified diver, lobster hunter, long distance biker, etc. He was also a pretty good sports racing car driver and we traveled around the state with our race car. But, come evening, and all he had in the single scene was a couple of friends left over from high school. One of them got married and divorced and the other is bi-polar.

Now, I'm an old curmudgeon who may have lost touch with modern Port St. Lucie. I suspect things are changing because I see more young people working as teachers, nurses, bankers, etc., but I still don't see any social scene beyond the typical sports bar or Applebee's, and most of the folks I see in those places are married. Maybe there's an underground I don't know about, but with two kids in their thirties who grew up in this town, I kind of doubt it.

Finally, if there is any single social scene in St. Lucie County, I suspect it takes place in downtown Fort Pierce, which is a really neat place to go. Completely renovated with great restaurants, the completely remodeled Sunrise Theater bringing in name performers and even a jazz club for a few years (I think it's defunct for the time being, just a bit ahead of its time).

Old 05-15-2007, 01:07 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidebelow View Post
I had a job interview in St Lucie county recently. Some of the older people I met told me that it is difficult for younger people in the area when it comes to networking, finding something to do, etc.

Is it really as hard as they claim? I'm a single male, very active and athletic, love water sports (swimming, sailing, waterskiing, kayaking, etc) and the job is good. The only thing that seems to be missing is a crowd my age and a jazz/blues club.

Thanks
are you getting a job in St Lucie County or with the St. Lucie County?

Old 05-15-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
are you getting a job in St Lucie County or with the St. Lucie County?
The job is in St. Lucie County, it's not part of the government.

pslOldTimer, thanks for sharing your experience, it's very helpful. I just read something that suggested that Jensen Beach might be a bit better in this department, perhaps I should look into Martin County in addition to the St Lucie area.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:35 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,729 times
Quote:
The job is in St. Lucie County, it's not part of the government.

pslOldTimer, thanks for sharing your experience, it's very helpful. I just read something that suggested that Jensen Beach might be a bit better in this department, perhaps I should look into Martin County in addition to the St Lucie area.
You would be far better off living in St. Lucie County and running down to Jensen Beach or downtown Stuart if there is something interesting going on. If nothing else, you'll have more $$$ to spend in the evening, because living in Martin County costs more, and in my opinion is not worth it. Your mileage may vary, but I'd think about it.

Frankly, West Palm Beach is not all that far if you crave a more active lifestyle.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:35 PM

79 posts, read 256,025 times
Quote:

Thanks
I'm also 23 and I just moved here (PSL) 2 months ago. As far as water sports go...I have no idea, I've gone to Jensen Beach and it was fine but I don't know if they have water sports there. I also don't know about any jazz/blues clubs since I'm not into that type of thing. What have I done? Well, I've gone to the beach, went to a couple Mets games(very cool), played basketball, movie theaters, bowling, batting cages, normal stuff like that. But again, I just moved here, and I don't know anyone around here to really "hang out".

But I love the area, and the new outlet mall opening this year on Gatlin and the other shopping centers opening should bring the younger crowd out there.

What I suggest, instead of moving to Martin or PBC and commuting to St. Lucie county....move to St. Lucie county, (it provides everyday fun things to do for M-F), then, when you want to do more exciting/outgoing things on the weekend...make the trip to Martin or PBC.

What I'm saying is...making 2 trips on the weekends to go out is better than making 5 trips on weekdays to go to work.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:41 AM

I suppose that is another way to think about it... though I've lived in that situation in the past. Living in northern suburbs when all the fun stuff is 20 minutes south. It didn't work out very well, I would rather live downtown and commute to the suburbs.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:37 AM

79 posts, read 256,025 times
Quote:
I suppose that is another way to think about it... though I've lived in that situation in the past. Living in northern suburbs when all the fun stuff is 20 minutes south. It didn't work out very well, I would rather live downtown and commute to the suburbs.
I hear what you say...but neither Martin County nor Northern Palm Beach county are hardly downtowns worth living by when you work 30+ mins away. If it were a larger city like NYC or Miami Beach I'd understand. Also, with the new malls and "downtowns" springing up in PSL along US-1 and I-95....PSL won't be just a suburb for much longer.

But to each his own.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoAnd1 View Post
I hear what you say...but neither Martin County nor Northern Palm Beach county are hardly downtowns worth living by when you work 30+ mins away.
Interesting... I wouldn't know, haven't seen those areas yet. You're probably right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach