Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 970 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing some dread about moving here from the north- I want to calm your nerves. I just moved last year from Michigan to teach here in PSL. I love teaching here at a new high school and I am a little familure with the policy. Tradition is great, and you will love PSL or PSL West. The schools here aren't so bad- it's where the kids come from that seems to be the issue. Many families are moving up from West Palm and Miami due to cheaper housing and the kids are coming from broken homes ect ect... so the kids really don't care about school. The ones that seem to care and make the schools great are the ones that are native to the area and from the north (not to sound biased). I'm not to up to date on how they recently changed the bussing system, but I know that kids are zoned closer to home than before. This place is great to teach your kids about diversity- but with a diverse population comes diverse issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 926 times
Default New to area too.

We are new to Tradition and although we love the neighborhood, the school system is a challenge to say the least. Understand that this is the only county in FL like this. However, I have 2 that are IB students and one 3rd grader that is an ESE student. We have been fighting to get them all the best placement we can. I will say that all the Elementary and K-8 schools seem very good. However the middle and High are shameful.

BUT....I got what I wanted. After much research etc... I have come to realize that the problem is that the schools try to do what ever they want and the school board has no idea what the schools are doing (making up their own rules). However, the staff at the student assignment are great and they actually are very helpful. It is not their fault and they feel the same frustrations that we all do.

Peice of advise...don't take anyones answer just because. I pressed and pressed and got what was best for all 3 of my kids. Don't take no for an answer, there are alot of people in SLC school office that really want to help. Befriend them, be nice to them and talk to them alot. It may work to your advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach