Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:18 AM

25 posts, read 152,939 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking into a possible move from New Jersey to Port St. Lucie. I'm a single woman in my 50's, so that's not an issue. But what is are:

poisonous snakes
alligators
scorpions
hurricanes

Can anyone give me some objective opinions on these things and how much they are an issue as far as living in Port St. Lucie? I have pets (parrots, 2 dogs, and 2 cats) so I am concerned about them. Initially, I would rent, and if I like it there enough, buy a house and retire. But I don't want to lose all I own to a hurricane, nor be put in the position of having to evacuate because of a hurricane and having no where to go with my animals to "wait it out."

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 AM

105 posts, read 280,586 times
I do not live there yet but I will assume those who do will say if you are worried about Hurricanes Florida is not the best place to live.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:23 PM

I think I am concerned only because I haven't lived through one. I understand from other sources that the area around Port St. Lucie hasn't had to evacuate in a long time. Those who live there, is that true?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:18 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
No, it isn't true. We had two direct hits in 2004 (Frances and Jeanne) and were on the outskirts of a couple others (Ivan, etc.). In 2005 we were hit by Wilma and on the outskirts of Katrina in her first landfall before she went into the Gulf. The Treasure Coast hasn't been hit by a Cat 4 or 5 in a while, but many had to evacuate for the 2004 and 2005 storms. Bear in mind evacuation doesn't always mean going to Alabama. I evacuated further inland and stayed with a friend with a sturdier house. If you live further inland and live in a concrete house you will be able to stay in some of the lower category storms.

There are alligators in Port St. Lucie; there are alligators throughout Florida. For the most part they leave you alone but if you live on a canal you should be mindful of letting your dogs out in the yard if it isn't fenced. Even if it is fenced you shouldn't let them stay out there when you aren't home. Alligators cause some injuries each year but it's still extremely rare.

There are several types of venomous snakes in Florida, including Port St. Lucie. The ones I have seen in Port St. Lucie are the water moccasin, diamondback rattlesnake and coral snake. Again, so long as you respect them they aren't a big problem, but once again you should mind the dogs, whose curiosity may get the best of them.

By the way, you will see in my location it says Tampa but I lived in Martin County from 2003 - 2008.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:20 AM

578 posts, read 1,775,981 times
Well as far as Hurricanes go there is not that many that strike this area. You can check it out at NOAA.gov. We have had a few near misses and a Tropical storm a couple of years ago but you can't not come because of a Hurricane. NJ floods more often than here so personally I would not worry about it.

Florida homes though not perfect are now required (if new) to have hurrican shutters. Buying a home with a Hip roof is even further protection but nothing is perfect.

As far as the wild life goes, yes PSL has their fair share of all of the above. Alligators fear you more than you fear them as long as you do not present yourself as a threat or food they will generally run from you. The one thing you have to fear the most is the cop behind every bush. Do the speed limit and you will be safe from them.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:49 PM

Thanks everyone. The snakes are a little intimidating but I lived with rattle snakes in Montana--never actually saw one in the town I lived, though. Only in the plains. It seems weird that they are in a populated area, though.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:05 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilsark View Post
Thanks everyone. The snakes are a little intimidating but I lived with rattle snakes in Montana--never actually saw one in the town I lived, though. Only in the plains. It seems weird that they are in a populated area, though.
I don't live in PSL but up the coast in Brevard County. I live in a town of over 100,000 people, but am surrounded by empty lots on my street. We have all kinds of wildlife including snakes here that I never would have expected to see in a neighborhood. They make homes in any vacant land because of the construction. Basically we live in their habitat. We have seen snakes, opossums, racoons, a fox, a deer, a bobcat, and when we first moved here the house had lots of big spiders that must have moved in during its construction.

We are moving to a smaller house in an older area of town and while the inspector was inspecting the house, he saw 2 snakes in our yard.

I think you will have a harder time renting a house or apartment with 5 pets than you will have to fear the wildlife. One comment about gators though. Mating season is in the spring and they are more aggressive then. Be sure not to walk your small pets along lakes and canals because they have been known to attack small animals that get too close to the water.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:12 AM

152 posts, read 465,498 times
Not to sound like an alarmist but the brown recluse spider is also in the area, like the black widow
it can cause a nasty reaction if you get bit by one...My area is infested with black snakes..but
they are harmless, ( NJ)....

Old 05-06-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post

I think you will have a harder time renting a house or apartment with 5 pets than you will have to fear the wildlife.
Well, that would cinch it for me because my animals are all the family I have. The parrots are in a large cage, and don't run through the house, however. We'll have to see. I haven't had a problem before but if Florida landlords are less pet friendly I'll have a problem.

Thanks.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:45 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,195,244 times
You will be fine.. We have "critters" just like anyone else. Yes there are gators but they don't come looking for you - unless you feed them and then they will look to be fed...whatever is handy.

Snakes, yes we have them but they aren't looking for you either. I see them occasionally, but not that often. Black snakes are harmless and they eat the things we dont want anyhow.

Evacuation- I used to live in Jensen Beach- low point- near the water. Yes I had to leave once. I went down to a friends home in Boca Raton and helped them (an older couple) and then returned. Many people don't leave at all. If you are near the water...yes, there are low points that will flood. and being on Hut Island is not a great idea but I doubt you will be living there.

As far as renting, you have 4 pets and parrots....some will think that's ok, a lot will not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach