Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:52 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
Oh, just wanted to include a few plugs for Portland, Maine:

Outdoor Magazine: Portland, Maine: Best Town in the East
Best Towns 2010: Portland, Maine | OutsideOnline.com

Bon Appétit: Portland, Maine: America's Foodiest Small Town
Portland, Maine: In the Magazine : bonappetit.com

Forbes: Portland, Maine: America's Most Livable City
America's Most Livable Cities - Forbes.com
Good stuff la_cavalière, I hadn't seen that Bon Appetit article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 06:42 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
Wild Willy's Burgers in South Portland has a gluten free menu. Welcome To Wild Willy's Burgers - South Portland, Maine

I knew this because a few months ago while flying, some passenger was talking another's ear off about his gluten free dough that Wild Willy's buys. I have never been to the place so I can't say whether it's good or not.

I don't see the gluten free stuff on their menu online but there is a big banner out front advertising the fact that they do indeed offer it.

Last edited by lawmom; 08-12-2010 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-13-2010, 07:05 AM

23 posts, read 72,400 times
Thank you very much! Great information.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:03 AM

23 posts, read 72,400 times
Thank you Maineah for your perspective. I do understand not all people like dogs and I do pick up after mine and keep him under control while in public places (always on leash except at the beach where he loves to stretch his legs).
Attached Thumbnails
Best place to live Maine single straight 40s-dsc_0274.jpg  

Old 08-13-2010, 09:24 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugdoglover View Post
Thank you Maineah for your perspective. I do understand not all people like dogs and I do pick up after mine and keep him under control while in public places (always on leash except at the beach where he loves to stretch his legs).
It really isn't that people don't like dogs.Your dog is cute as a button. It has to do with uncontrolled dogs in public places. Many dog owners do not feel the need to control their pets. They let them run all over the place and get offended when people ask them to remove their dog from their picnic, playground, or what ever. We went to a Beer Festival in Vermont last year. We will not go back because of the dozens of dogs allowed into the festival. It rained and there was mud on the ground. Dogs were fighting and rolling in the mud. A mud covered dog jammed his muzzle into my wife's rear end covering her with mud. Needless to say we had to leave as she looked like she'd had an accident! All I can say is people need to leave their dogs home and not bring them to public events and public places. We paid good money to go to that festival only to have the day ruined by someone's undiciplined mutt. The same goes for beaches. I have seen a dog take a sandwich right out of a childs hands on the beach. The owner just laughed and said poochie was being friendly. The mom of the crying and somewhat terrified child was less than amused. The rest of us need our space too. Dogs are free to roam all over any property YOU OWN. Nowhere else!!

Last edited by Maineah; 08-13-2010 at 10:22 AM..

Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 PM

278 posts, read 656,233 times
As a dog owner I agree with Maineah. I have a Great Dane, and as such, I realize that having a giant breed dog carries a great responsibility. Charlie wouldn't hurt a fly, but I don't expect someone with trepidations around dogs to know that. He is well trained to voice command, and I still always keep him on a leash when in public. I do take him to public places such as the Portland Farmers Market, but he stays by my side. Only if someone wants to greet him (and lots of people do) will he get close to anyone else.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:30 PM

6 posts, read 9,812 times
Default Single and in my late thirties -wondering if Portland is the city to stay in

To Puglover,

SO, did you move to Portland? Have you found it to be a welcoming environment, especially as a single person? Is it difficult to find friends? I am noticing that in Portland and the surrounding areas that it seems like families with kids are everywhere--and I hardly ever meet anyone in their thirties and forties who is single. This is becoming annoying, and isolating to me. I miss the south, where I came from, just for the fact there was a broader range of people around me and I didnt feel like such an alien just because I am single! I am trying to decide whether making the move back to the city and state I came from will be worth it, its hard moving--one way or another, even though it will be moving back to a place thats more familiar and I know people--it will still be yet another change to adjust to. I do not read about many other people on this forum who are also in their thirties/forties, single and from other states who have had positive experiences living in Portland and decided to stay. If there any in that demographic, I'd love to hear about your experiences in Portland.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
RubyGrace, are you on Twitter? Each month a group gets together #MeTweetup to socialize face to face rather than just 140 characters. I missed last night's meeting, but it's documented here:

Maine Tweet Up

There are also groups through other sites like Meet Up, LinkedIn, etc.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:13 AM

356 posts, read 703,654 times
I'm married and in my 40s, and most of my friends are single! It may depend on where you live. You can also join one of the clubs that interests you on meetup.com. A great one is the Portland Out and About Meetup Group:

Portland Out and About Group (Portland, ME) - Meetup

Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 PM

27 posts, read 70,309 times
Default Relocating

Hey, there Pugdoglover! I'm in the same boat as you. I too am looking to relocate, have done lots of research, and have settled on Portland. I visit nearly every summer, and can't say enough about it. I was wonder, do you, or does anyone out there know of a need for Spanish teachers! I am a foreign language teacher, and will hopefully continue this in Maine.

By the way, I have 3 dogs myself, so I totally identify with the dog-lovers out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area