Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:54 PM

7 posts, read 18,000 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Portland from Phoenix in a few months. I am staying with my current company and I grew up in Pittsburgh so I'm used to long, miserable winters. My problem is finding an apartment to live in.

Location isn't terribly important other than being reasonably crime-free. But the cost increase compared to Phoenix is staggering. Here, I have a 2BD, 2BA townhouse in a good area with modern appliances including washer and dryer for $770 a month. $800 a month in Portland gets me a 1 BD hole with maybe a fridge from the late 60's and a whole lot of vermin. RiverPlace looks nice, but the rent is more than double, the apartment is smaller, and the application process is beyond absurd. I make decent money, but still.

I am fully aware of the cost of living difference between the SW and NE. I get it. But that alone doesn't fully explain it. Housing in Portland, OR is expensive due to building restrictions designed to prevent sprawl. Housing in San Jose is expensive because even the janitors make $75K a year. But Portland, ME? From what i can tell the economy revolves around tourism and food service. How does anyone afford it? Are there seriously that many people willing to work multiple jobs just to pay for a roof that probably leaks?

Last edited by zoso947; 09-08-2010 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 01:00 PM

325 posts, read 705,764 times
I rent a single room for $400 a month, which is cheap for Portland. You really want to come here first and look at places in person.

I think Portland is very expensive, personally.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:23 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Portland's rents aren't cheap by any means, but they're not bad by N.E. standards. The problem is really the cost relative to the type and pay of jobs in the area. I guess a big factor is that most people in Maine own homes (which aren't too expensive even around Portland) and few people rent. Availability is low. Moreover, most apartments aren't in clean little complexes; but rather in multi-family units. Yes, they're older for the most part but that's the nature of old east coast cities vs. newer cities like PHX.

If you're after a complex, check out Mill Company Gardens in South Portland. It's right over the Casco Bay Bridge and minutes from downtown. It's operated by a company called Port Property Management. I hated Redbank Village near the airport (didn't live there, but looked at some units), but it may work for you too. Princeton Properties has reasonable apartments in complexes geared towards professionals. I like the one on Baxter Blvd.

None of the places I mentioned above have crime issues. In fact, despite some of the griping about how Portland is going down the tubes, the city is very safe. It's more like a small/mid-size town. There are no "projects," "ghettos," or anything of the that nature. Coming from major cities, you'll find that crime in Portland doesn't compare to even moderate trouble spots in Pitt or PHX. There are complaints sometimes about the Somali immigrants in Portland (to be fair, they have shown some violent tendencies at times) but they still make up a TINY chunk of the population. Portland is over 91% non-Hispanic white. Maine is the whitest state in the nation and among the top 3 safest (may be #1). Crime isn't something you should be too worried about.

I don't think winter will be as harsh as Pittsburgh's either. Portland's in Maine but it's far milder (being on the coast and further south) than the majority of the state. You may be surprised at how mild it is relatively speaking.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 PM

Thank you. I guess I'm just spoiled by AZ, where I can just go on to apartments.com or rent.net, plug in my requirements, and have it give me a list of at least 30 matching properties within 15 miles. I've grown used to having my own washer/dryer, I'm not sure I'm prepared to give that up without a fight. Even just the hookups would be fine.

As for the weather, the numbers say it's a little colder than Pittsburgh but sunnier and less snowy. One thing is for sure, after 15 years in the Phoenix blast furnace I've had enough. I'm not going to deny it's nice to be able to wear shorts on Christmas, but not sure it makes up for the feeling of your fingertips and lips burning in July.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 PM

191 posts, read 502,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso947 View Post
Thank you. I guess I'm just spoiled by AZ, where I can just go on to apartments.com or rent.net, plug in my requirements, and have it give me a list of at least 30 matching properties within 15 miles. I've grown used to having my own washer/dryer, I'm not sure I'm prepared to give that up without a fight. Even just the hookups would be fine.

As for the weather, the numbers say it's a little colder than Pittsburgh but sunnier and less snowy. One thing is for sure, after 15 years in the Phoenix blast furnace I've had enough. I'm not going to deny it's nice to be able to wear shorts on Christmas, but not sure it makes up for the feeling of your fingertips and lips burning in July.

The reason is simple really. AZ cities (and many other western cities are sprawling zoos while eastern cities generally denser and taller if that makes sense. For example, pop density in Portland is actually HIGHER than PHX. Yes, really. As a result space comes are a premium. Most of the 20's-30's range live close to downtown and don't live in single family houses. Almost all my friends do. Couple that with the money in the North East, desirability, on the coast and proximity to the Boston market and quite honestly, it's surprising it doesn't cost more to live in Portland. Wait until you have to pay taxes (property in particular).

Old 09-15-2010, 09:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,210 times
Default Portland rents

Yes, it's true that a 1 bedroom usually runs $750-850 anyway. You are not factoring in the fact that you will be living on a beautiful sunny penninsula with gorgeous views of Casco Bay.

I would try for the east end and/or the west end. Some apts do have the nice old molding, etc, but unless we are willing to pay $1,200 + it's a compromise. I live in beautiful Newburyport, MA, and they are higher here...

Enjoy your new life. Portland isa great place to live.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:06 AM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times
What are your requirements?

There are some really nice places out there. It just takes a little bit of searching. I currently have a 3 bedroom for $900 right on Congress. I lucked out, but they do exist.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:08 PM

My requirements are 2BD, at least 1.5BA, a dishwasher, a washer and dryer or at least the hookups, and no Section 8 or the like. I'd like to keep the rent under $1200. I said location isn't a problem but maybe I'm wrong on that, as is true in most Western cities everything I need here is within two square miles. And I'm just not used to all these little 10 unit buildings that all have their own character. Here in AZ everything pretty much looks the same, stucco and tile roof; the only real differentiating factor is location.

I know I will taxed higher too, AZ isn't the tax paradise it used to be but many areas still have no property tax at all.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:48 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
Why is it you are moving to Portland? It sounds like you've already decided to hate it. I grew up in the area, and last year we moved to NM. We, or I should say, "I" decided before we got there that it was going to be an adventure, and that while some things would be different, it would be a neat experience. Different is not a bad thing. But I adapt easily, and my husband apparently does not, so we're back on the east coast. I am so glad we got to experience it, and while I like most things about Portland better than Las Cruces, I am grateful to have experienced it.

You won't find huge ugly apt complexes here much, and IMO that's not a bad thing. Portland is going to be vastly different compared to Phoenix. The above poster is absolutely correct about why housing is expensive in the north east -- Portland has no more room to expand outward, and there is competition for housing. I know where I'd rather live, hands down, but everyone likes different things.

Good luck with your move, and I hope you find things to enjoy while you are here.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Why is it you are moving to Portland? It sounds like you've already decided to hate it. I grew up in the area, and last year we moved to NM. We, or I should say, "I" decided before we got there that it was going to be an adventure, and that while some things would be different, it would be a neat experience. Different is not a bad thing. But I adapt easily, and my husband apparently does not, so we're back on the east coast. I am so glad we got to experience it, and while I like most things about Portland better than Las Cruces, I am grateful to have experienced it.

You won't find huge ugly apt complexes here much, and IMO that's not a bad thing. Portland is going to be vastly different compared to Phoenix. The above poster is absolutely correct about why housing is expensive in the north east -- Portland has no more room to expand outward, and there is competition for housing. I know where I'd rather live, hands down, but everyone likes different things.

Good luck with your move, and I hope you find things to enjoy while you are here.
Thank you. My reasons for moving are not relevant to this discussion, but I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't want to. I have lived in Phoenix for 15 years(my entire adult life), so it's what I know in terms of grownup decisions such as housing.

I am very much looking forward to going back East, I just never imagined that finding a decent place to live would be so challenging. It's neither bad nor good, just different. I understand I will have to change my perspective, and I don't at all care for cookie-cutter architecture. The one upside is that there are no surprises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area