Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 08:17 PM

21 posts, read 37,808 times

Advertisements

HI,
I posted on the general US forum for the right place for us and was recommended portland. I sounds very enticing.. only one issue is the cost of living..
We are a 30 something married couple no kids on the horizon, about to take the leap and going to work from home. We like our urban luxury, currently live in chicago area.
We know we are going to have make sacrifices from our current lifestyle.

One of our requirement was a nice 1 bedroom for 650 or less. Which clearly is not possible from what I have seen.. but my main question is where are all the nice rentals listed?
tried craigslist, rent.com etc..
And it is mostly old carpeted crummy places.. nothing really updated. I love the vintage style but not the old style..
Any suggestions about where people list their rentals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:44 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times
There are plenty of nice rentals listed on craigslist, but not for anywhere near $650, unfortunately.

You can also try:
Drinan Properties, Inc. - HOME PAGE - Maine Property Rentals, Sales and Services
Maine and New Hampshire Residential Rentals Listing
Santoro Real Estate - Portland, Cape Elizabeth, South Portland, Falmouth Maine Home Rentals Leasing and Sales

For the price you are looking at you will most certainly have to live outside of the city of Portland.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirikara View Post
HI,
I posted on the general US forum for the right place for us and was recommended portland. I sounds very enticing.. only one issue is the cost of living..
We are a 30 something married couple no kids on the horizon, about to take the leap and going to work from home. We like our urban luxury, currently live in chicago area.
We know we are going to have make sacrifices from our current lifestyle.

One of our requirement was a nice 1 bedroom for 650 or less. Which clearly is not possible from what I have seen.. but my main question is where are all the nice rentals listed?
tried craigslist, rent.com etc..
And it is mostly old carpeted crummy places.. nothing really updated. I love the vintage style but not the old style..
Any suggestions about where people list their rentals?
Its a small city at 65k people.. Your not going to find vast quantities of nice apts available.

The local paper is going to have the most up to date vacancies. You will want to plan a trip here and grab the local paper and plan on calling and looking at MANY apartments.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:15 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,624 times
The rental market on craiglist in Portland seems to be hit or miss if you look at any one time, but if you take your time looking you may be able to find a gem at your preferred price. Of course, when a great rental at that price pops up it probably gets rented right away.

19 years ago, I rented my first apartment (a studio) for 550. Are there really places where decent 1 bedrooms can easily be found for 650 still?

Old 03-10-2011, 05:55 AM

Not likely in Portland itself, IMO. Maybe someone could get lucky, but I doubt it. I do see studios for that price, but have no idea if they are decent or not.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:39 AM

Here's one I saw this morning: I'm not sure I'd want to live right across from Deering Oaks but maybe it's ok:
Second Floor One Bedroom - Walk to USM! (http://maine.craigslist.org/apa/2257461020.html - broken link)

Now, if the OP means "nice" as granite and ss appliances, etc, no way for that price.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:11 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,428,446 times
Maybe you were supposed to look in Portland, Oregon!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:14 PM

119 posts, read 263,538 times
Portland Affordability is that supposed to be an oxymoron?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area