Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:38 PM

37 posts, read 66,416 times

Advertisements

I have been seeing some studios for rent near Deering Oaks Park and was wondering what people's opinion of that area is regarding crime, how busy it is with traffic, etc.

Also, I am looking for a studio apartment so any advice regarding areas I should avoid would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 02:47 PM

404 posts, read 777,603 times
well if it was me i wouldn't look in that area. I have no statics just a feeling. I's stay away from deering oak area and grant street. I'd stick to east end or west end or old port or even south portland there are a couple regular bus that goes between SoPo, willard beach, broadway to downtown.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:46 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,486 times
Ditto

Old 08-06-2011, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the tip.

What about Congress street?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:15 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,486 times
I would not want to live on Congress St, but we have kids. As a single person, maybe, but even then probably not.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRSB View Post
Thanks for the tip.

What about Congress street?

I work on Congress ST and if I wanted to live IN portland congress from State St to the East end would be OK. Around Monument square better.
But yes if you see a place to look at I'd add the congress street one to your list to look at. Will you have a car when you move here? if so ask questions about parking...having a car downtown can be complicated.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:45 PM

321 posts, read 486,477 times
I lived on the corner of grant and mellon close to the park, and although there will always be a special place in my heart for parkside, i echo the sentiments of the other posters in this thread.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,988,267 times
I tend to feel a little differently about the Parkside area (between Congress and Deering Oaks). I think how one feels about it is a matter of perspective and situation.

Parkside is on the "gritty" side by Portland standards, but it's not bad. It's certainly not as pristine as Munjoy Hill, or the West End but it does have its benefits. Portland is a very safe little city. Even the worst pockets of Portland are much safer than areas that are OK in other cities. Parkside may appear a little off-putting if you've only lived in small-town Arkansas, but if you're familiar with living in larger urban areas, it shouldn't be a problem at all. It's not unsafe to walk out in the street (night or day- even on Grant Street which isn't nearly as bad as its made out to be) and there are no nearby housing projects or slums. In fact, it's a tiny little neighborhood that's an easy walk to Deering Oaks (a nice park) and Downtown/Congress Street (which is essentially "Main Street, Portland).

As you've seen, apartments can be cheaper there. I looked at a few places over there when I first rented in Portland (in fact, I settled on a place a few blocks outside of that area) due to low cost and location. I believe the company I used that had a lot of rentals in that area was HH Sawyer. Good prices.

If I had a wife and kids, that area wouldn't be my first choice. However, if you're a single adult, or in a relationship with no kids, it can be a great way to save some money but remain in a good location. I'd consider looking into the area. Maybe visit if you get a chance and see for yourself. I certainly wouldn't rule it out yet.

Congress Street varies, it depends on where you want to live. Congress Street between High Street and Franklin makes up the bulk of downtown Portland. While it is a small city, that's about as urban as it gets up there and you'll find that most apartments are above office/retail space. You probably won't have off-street parking and may have to park a block or two away on the street. It's not far, and it's certainly rarely difficult to find on-street parking (for free) in Portland off of the main roads, but in the winter walking a block or two on icy sidewalks when its 20 degrees and windy isn't fun. Also make sure you locate your nearest parking ban lot and get there early on snow parking bans. Congress Street downtown is safe, but can be a pain if you own a car and don't want to pay monthly for a spot at a garage. If you don't own a car (or plan on getting rid of it), it's the best place in Portland to be.

Congress Street also runs through the West End and Munjoy Hill. These areas are close to downtown, but not quite as built up. It should be easier to find parking here (potentially off-street) and it'll be a little quieter. Still, Congress Street is one of the primary streets in the city so there will always be car and foot traffic nearby. Locating near Maine Med. can mean sirens and helicopters at all hours on Congress Street.

Congress runs outside of the peninsula too. They call this "outer Congress" and it actually ends up being pretty suburban (almost rural in the Stroudwater area) to the point where you'd never know you were in Maine's largest city even though you're only a few miles out of downtown.

Long story short, Congress street can vary. None if it is unsafe, though different parts may be better depending on your lifestyle preference.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:24 AM

Well, first, thanks for all the insight. I am in Portland now and have had some interesting experiences.

I took the 5 bus when I got to the Portland Transit Center and purposly got off at the post office of Forest near Deering Park. It was a pretty depressing fist look at Portland. It seems the area is a concentrated area of disabled people. I am disabled and on disability as well and it upsets me when I see this type of blatant segregation, or non-integration, in a city. I decided to call a taxi and while I waited a drunken man was physically thrown out of a bar across the street and then a fight ensued.

My taxi arrived and he was a nice guy, and warned me that the Motel 6 I was staying at was a known favorite for the "crack heads". Which helped to explain why a crime scene van and two police cars greeted us at the hotel. The hotel is very poor and my non-smoking room was only turned into a non-smoking room by flipping the ashtray upside down. There was also cigarette burns on the blanket.

I woke early and got downtown by bus and had a great breakfast at Marcy's on Oak Street. I highly recommended it to get a glimpse of normalcy and a good low cost breakfast. I walked down Congress and around Market Street which i would consider the "Downtown" and it all felt pretty nice. It is a bit more touristy than I thought it would be and the tourists are very visible. I am afraid this might hurt the local economy when the big economy crashes.

All and all I think it is going to be both too big of a city for my liking and also too segregated. I will probably have more input and will definitely have photographs later.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 PM

Welcome to Portland. August and Sept are the height of tourist season there are 8 months out of the year with out them. It may not be the right place for you but give it a bit more chance explore a bit more and you'll know for sure. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area