Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Portland: academic help, great schools, education, teacher, children.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:04 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,083 times

Advertisements

When I changed public school systems for my children before I heard how academically rigorous the schools they were entering were and being a relatively new to having school age kids parent i was nervous they would have trouble keeping up. It turned out that the school touting the rigors of its academics was actually significantly easier than where they had started.

Well here I am nervous again because I am hearing the same things from Portland Schools where my children will be starting in a few weeks. I just don't know how to really compare. Anyone have any idea how tough the academics really are in Portland compared to other places/states etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 04:00 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
Well, genmomto5, a year later, how would YOU answer your own question???? (I was trying to do some research on the Portland area schools and found your question, which I thought was a good one, but, alas had no responses!) Care to give some feedback now that you have a year under your belt?

Old 08-28-2008, 04:33 PM

502 posts, read 1,735,329 times
I think most schools can be rigorous for a kid if the parents supplement what is being done. Just sending the kid off and not asking questions and being involved won't necessarily challenge a kid or make them successful.

Communication with the teacher helps. Reading every night with your kid helps. Checking the homework is done and accurate. Showing interest. Even finding additional work they might do to supplement what is being done at school.

1 teacher and 20+ kids is tough. 1 parent and 1 kid is pretty good ratio.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:42 PM

391 posts, read 872,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
When I changed public school systems for my children before I heard how academically rigorous the schools they were entering were and being a relatively new to having school age kids parent i was nervous they would have trouble keeping up. It turned out that the school touting the rigors of its academics was actually significantly easier than where they had started.

Well here I am nervous again because I am hearing the same things from Portland Schools where my children will be starting in a few weeks. I just don't know how to really compare. Anyone have any idea how tough the academics really are in Portland compared to other places/states etc.?
Are you asking about Portland Oregon? I grew up in the Grant high district forever ago. I know the ratios are 25 to 1 and usually they have an assistant if there is more. academic are not as tough as 20 years ago but they stand with most area schools. The most important thing to do with your children is to be plugged in as much as possible. Assist in the classrooms once in awhile. Work with you children and follow their studies. it helps alot. I live in Vancouver now and the schools rank high but PDX is right up there with washington

Old 08-28-2008, 07:17 PM

We love the schools here. All of the kids are thriving in their schools. We even found a lovely pre-school around the block from our house for my then 4yo daughter. She starts kindergarten this year so I'll see up close how the elementary school is but my nephew had a good year their.

Academics in the middle school seemed on par with the other school systems they had attended. There are opportunities for kids to excel but my 7th grader felt a bit held back in math. He had the best score the school ever had on their standardized math testing so I don't think his experience applies to every kid.

My HS student (I'll have two of those this year) was academically challenged for the first time. At the same time he was also fitting in socially better than he ever had. Can we call that the Perfect Storm?
Luckily he is in a school that only accepts 3.0 and above as a passing grade. With much hair pulling and stress (mostly on my part, he seemed nonplussed at my reactions) he made it through with a bit above 3.0.

Some of the kids in his school are doing really amazing things. They will light the world on fire. I'm just hoping they rub off on my kiddo. He has the ability but no drive to speak of. The projects these kids do are amazing and watching the progression from Freshman to Junior (this year will be their first senior class) is inspiring. They are really, measurably improving. If you land in Portland with a HS age child check out Casco Bay.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chey2u View Post
Are you asking about Portland Oregon? I grew up in the Grant high district forever ago. I know the ratios are 25 to 1 and usually they have an assistant if there is more. academic are not as tough as 20 years ago but they stand with most area schools. The most important thing to do with your children is to be plugged in as much as possible. Assist in the classrooms once in awhile. Work with you children and follow their studies. it helps alot. I live in Vancouver now and the schools rank high but PDX is right up there with washington

Nope. I mean Portland Maine.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
We love the schools here. All of the kids are thriving in their schools. We even found a lovely pre-school around the block from our house for my then 4yo daughter. She starts kindergarten this year so I'll see up close how the elementary school is but my nephew had a good year their.

Academics in the middle school seemed on par with the other school systems they had attended. There are opportunities for kids to excel but my 7th grader felt a bit held back in math. He had the best score the school ever had on their standardized math testing so I don't think his experience applies to every kid.

My HS student (I'll have two of those this year) was academically challenged for the first time. At the same time he was also fitting in socially better than he ever had. Can we call that the Perfect Storm?
Luckily he is in a school that only accepts 3.0 and above as a passing grade. With much hair pulling and stress (mostly on my part, he seemed nonplussed at my reactions) he made it through with a bit above 3.0.

Some of the kids in his school are doing really amazing things. They will light the world on fire. I'm just hoping they rub off on my kiddo. He has the ability but no drive to speak of. The projects these kids do are amazing and watching the progression from Freshman to Junior (this year will be their first senior class) is inspiring. They are really, measurably improving. If you land in Portland with a HS age child check out Casco Bay.
Thanks, Gen. How would you say the feel of the schools are in terms of being more traditional or progressive/liberal? For example, do they have a dress code for staff and students that is enforced? What types of sex ed. classes/info. is provided and at what grades? Drugs? Bullying? Cliques? Dances at the elementary schools? How about orchestra? Art? Phys.Ed.? Any and all info. is greatly appreciated. (We have a choice about where to move and don't want to go from the frying pan into the fire!!!) Thanks so much...and good luck with your son - I hear a similar scenario from so many friends...hopefully, its a stage...

Old 08-29-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Thanks, Gen. How would you say the feel of the schools are in terms of being more traditional or progressive/liberal? For example, do they have a dress code for staff and students that is enforced? What types of sex ed. classes/info. is provided and at what grades? Drugs? Bullying? Cliques? Dances at the elementary schools? How about orchestra? Art? Phys.Ed.? Any and all info. is greatly appreciated. (We have a choice about where to move and don't want to go from the frying pan into the fire!!!) Thanks so much...and good luck with your son - I hear a similar scenario from so many friends...hopefully, its a stage...

I would say they are more on the progressive/liberal side (see middle school birth control boruhaha). I don't know about a staff dress code specifically but I never seen any staff dressed inappropriately. The kids have dress codes. No belly shirts, no offensive t-shirts etc with a general proviso of no provocative clothing.

Sex ed seems to be pretty generic. It seems much the same as other places they've been in school. Nothing extreme or earlier than I would expect.

They had some rules about water bottles in the middle school as they had some kind of alcohol issue. There are drugs, I suspect, but it doesn't seem like a huge problem. Certainly seems to be less than some of the private HS's my friends attended when I was younger.

We haven't run in to any bullying. I think in the schools employing expeditionary learning this ends up less of a problem because of the different dynamic between teachers and students and the need for kids to work together more.

Cliques. My kids haven't complained about this at all.

No elementary dances. My daughter attended some middle school dances. Ticket purchase was required beforehand. When we were late bringing her to the Halloween dance due to wrapping her in strips of sheet we got a call from the principal making sure we knew she was not there yet. That was very comforting.

My daughter was in chorus and they did a lot with the kids. I don't know anything about orchestra or band. I'm not sure what they do.

Art seems to be a very integral part of academics in the schools. I really like that they emphasize art.

In middle school, gym seems the same as other schools. No uniforms. The HS my son goes to doesn't have a traditional gym/sports program. Kids there can choose one of the other HS's to participate in sports.

Look in to the Summer Champs program that Portland kids can participate in. It is for 3-6th grade.

My kids ended up in Lyman Moore Middle. Word around here is that King is the best Middle school here.

Moving from the country to a small city has been an adjustment in many ways. If you are in a more rural area you end up with more control over who your children associate with and how often they are out of your sight. Managing kid relationships is more rigorous for me now most especially for my almost teen daughter. They can more easily end up in the wrong crowd but at the same time as I become more involved in the local community I get more feedback from other parents about my child than i would have in the country. She has more of a chance to get in trouble here but I have a lot more people looking out for her so it evens out.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I would say they are more on the progressive/liberal side (see middle school birth control boruhaha). I don't know about a staff dress code specifically but I never seen any staff dressed inappropriately. The kids have dress codes. No belly shirts, no offensive t-shirts etc with a general proviso of no provocative clothing.

Sex ed seems to be pretty generic. It seems much the same as other places they've been in school. Nothing extreme or earlier than I would expect.

They had some rules about water bottles in the middle school as they had some kind of alcohol issue. There are drugs, I suspect, but it doesn't seem like a huge problem. Certainly seems to be less than some of the private HS's my friends attended when I was younger.

We haven't run in to any bullying. I think in the schools employing expeditionary learning this ends up less of a problem because of the different dynamic between teachers and students and the need for kids to work together more.

Cliques. My kids haven't complained about this at all.

No elementary dances. My daughter attended some middle school dances. Ticket purchase was required beforehand. When we were late bringing her to the Halloween dance due to wrapping her in strips of sheet we got a call from the principal making sure we knew she was not there yet. That was very comforting.

My daughter was in chorus and they did a lot with the kids. I don't know anything about orchestra or band. I'm not sure what they do.

Art seems to be a very integral part of academics in the schools. I really like that they emphasize art.

In middle school, gym seems the same as other schools. No uniforms. The HS my son goes to doesn't have a traditional gym/sports program. Kids there can choose one of the other HS's to participate in sports.

Look in to the Summer Champs program that Portland kids can participate in. It is for 3-6th grade.

My kids ended up in Lyman Moore Middle. Word around here is that King is the best Middle school here.

Moving from the country to a small city has been an adjustment in many ways. If you are in a more rural area you end up with more control over who your children associate with and how often they are out of your sight. Managing kid relationships is more rigorous for me now most especially for my almost teen daughter. They can more easily end up in the wrong crowd but at the same time as I become more involved in the local community I get more feedback from other parents about my child than i would have in the country. She has more of a chance to get in trouble here but I have a lot more people looking out for her so it evens out.
Thanks so much for all the detailed information. One thing, I didn't quite get was your statement about "see middle school sex education bruhaha"- not sure what this means. Also, are you in Portland itself or a suburb? Thanks. MJ

Old 08-30-2008, 12:29 PM

Woops I didn't re-read before I posted I meant the whole King Middle birth control thing last year. Sorry for the confusion.

We are in the city. We needed to be in the middle of things as my husband is mostly blind and can not drive. Asking for rides from me all the time was grating on him and with the addition of #5 my time was getting less available. I am not glad that we have the circumstance to deal with that led us here but as I would not have ever lived in a city by choice prior to this I am glad to have been pushed out of my comfort zone. I love it here and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area