Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 12:06 PM

130 posts, read 384,498 times

Advertisements

My husband has an opportunity to take a job offer with his current company in South Portland. I've been looking around for apartments to see if we could afford to rent something there and found a few options, but not as many as I'd like. Is anyone familiar with rental prices in nearby towns that are safe? From what I've heard, most of Maine is generally safe though. Are there any areas I should avoid though?

I'm looking for an 1br 1ba that is no more than $800 a month, and would be no more than a 20 minute drive (maybe 30 minutes if we really like the place and is affordable) from Maine Mall in S. Portland.

Also- how is the fishing in Maine? Is it mostly saltwater or is there decent freshwater fishing as well? My husband is really into freshwater fishing but there isn't much available here on Long Island, so he's looking forward to a move where there's better freshwater fishing for him, mainly for largemouth bass.

Last edited by breakingpointe516; 05-16-2012 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 04:27 PM

404 posts, read 777,637 times
Its doable, considering your only looking for a 1bd, 1ba. Also in Mane a number of apts have heat included. Some even have elect & wifi included so you might be able to extend your budget just a bit in those cases.

Craigs list is your best option. I sent you a direct message with some examples. Do some searches on South portland, Scarborough, gorham, westbrook, and portland you could even try Saco and Cumberland and Gray would be your limit. Some parts of westbrook are sketchy and the area around Deering Park in portland (grant st, sherman st) I'd stay away from. If you see something your very interested in you can Direct message me and I'll let you know if I'd live there.

Fresh water fishing isn't a far drive at all Maybe 30 minutes or so, Sabego lake. If you found a place in Gorham, he's be even closer. Pull it up on Google maps or Google earth and take a look!

Hope this helps. ALso there are older threads on this page you can maybe find recommend or stay away from rental people.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Really do stay away from Sherman st...

Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 AM

8 posts, read 10,226 times
800 a month is probably the lower end of the 1 bdrm price range, ..perhaps with "nothing" included.
Also, there aren't many 1 bedrooms outside the city. MOstly 2 bdrm condo type places, and they are pricier in the areas around the city.
We are right in Portland, and it's wonderful. Safe. Families, etc. and you can walk for most of your day to day things... West end is minutes from SoPo.
What sort of neighborhood are you coming from? Rural, suburban urban? Where you will be comfortable can be gauged relative to what you are used to and what you value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area