U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:53 PM

21,876 posts, read 28,700,485 times

Advertisements

Maine school to offer contraceptives - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Portland Middle Schools has experienced 17 pregnancies over the past four years. Which has resulted in the school board deciding to begin offering contraceptives to 11 to 13 year olds.

Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 12:57 PM

378 posts, read 742,430 times
Default Eleven?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Maine school to offer contraceptives - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Portland Middle Schools has experienced 17 pregnancies over the past four years. Which has resulted in the school board deciding to begin offering contraceptives to 11 to 13 year olds.

Wow!
ELEVEN?

ummmm how is it that they plan to circumvent one set of laws for another???

Besides the fact that BC takes it's toll on a woman's body what about the studies NOT DONE as to effect on CHILDREN??
Is it just ME that considers an eleven year old a child?
OMG.
Anyway ---- the house I chose my property taxes are going to be OUTRAGEOUS. If this is what they want it for that will be the first activism I'll have to perform in maine. LOL
How about parents just raise their children and we deal with what happens as we have all along??

Old 10-19-2007, 12:58 PM

5,669 posts, read 7,775,347 times
I'm baffled. There's no way in hell I'd sign the permission slip allowing the school nurse to treat my child in that school. I had to have a doctor's note giving the school permission to give my kid Advil last year. I thought that was a bit wild but it's nothing in comparison to this.

I'll be watching to see if the seven board members who voted in favor of this are re-elected.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:00 PM

6,303 posts, read 8,162,279 times
Somebody asked, "If an adult gave your 11 year old daughter birth control pills so she could have sex with his 12 year old son would that be OK?"

Whatever the answer is should apply to low level government employees also.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:13 PM

378 posts, read 742,430 times
Default exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I'm baffled. There's no way in hell I'd sign the permission slip allowing the school nurse to treat my child in that school. I had to have a doctor's note giving the school permission to give my kid Advil last year. I thought that was a bit wild but it's nothing in comparison to this.

I'll be watching to see if the seven board members who voted in favor of this are re-elected.
Honestly, I'm pretty shocked by this.

They try many ways to usurp a parents' rights and responsibilities. Not all eleven year olds are even ready to hear about sex. I wasn't. Some are. Some are much younger.

IMO --- it's not a school's job. Maybe if they'd worry more about keeping the kids interested and teaching things then .. you know the birds and the bees wouldn't be so ..... captivating. (okay I DOUBT THAT but maybe LOL)
I also wonder whether these folks will get reelected. Sometimes no one good runs against them. leaving no choice.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:17 PM

581 posts, read 67,715 times
"Property taxes now go to offering contraceptives to 11 year olds"

Yes, but only for property owners in Portland. Though there is undoubtably some state subsidy for Portland for education, a portion of which would come from all Maine residents' income taxes and possibly other tax/fee sources.

Now you can see an example of why we refer to the southern latitudes of our fair state as "Northern MA".

Old 10-19-2007, 01:18 PM

21,876 posts, read 28,700,485 times
Quote:

BC is one topic that a child does not require parent notification, or consent to be 'treated' for.

Your 11 yo could be receiving BC and the first time that you would be notified would be under the circumstances that the doctor thought that it may have been incest.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:19 PM

5,669 posts, read 7,775,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
BC is one topic that a child does not require parent notification, or consent to be 'treated' for.

Your 11 yo could be receiving BC and the first time that you would be notified would be under the circumstances that the doctor thought that it may have been incest.
Not in the Portland school. Students cannot be treated in any way except in the case of emergency by school staff until/unless parents have signed the parental consent form. If you don't want the school nurse giving your daughter the pill you can avoid the problem by not allowing your child to be treated. There's a problem with that though. When my daughter put a huge gash in her knee playing hockey a couple of years ago she needed an adult to take care of her. She under estimated how badly she was injured. Ya, so there was some blood on her jeans but it didn't HURT that bad. Her teacher asked for a look, called me and we ended up in the ER for stitches. The Portland school's parental consent form doesn't differentiate between birth control and BandAids. I can see potential for hurt kids who don't get simple medical care at school because the school board made poor choices.

Kids can go to a medical facility for birth control. I learned that the week before last when my 14 year old was informed that she could ask for birth control without my husband or me giving permission or being told. It's bizarre. She can't get her ears pierced without my permission but she can get birth control. This information was part of a routine physical. I about fell off my chair. I thought this was limited to Family Planning centers. I had no idea kids have this much access to prescription medication.

I don't want to see kids getting pregnant but there are better ways.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:33 PM

264 posts, read 37,510 times
Quote:
NI don't want to see kids getting pregnant but there are better ways.
There are better ways, and many parents let their kids know how much they love them. Parents become involved in the lives of their children and know where they are, what they are doing, and who they are doing it with. Those parents set standards of behavior and ensure their kids are staying focused on their education and enjoying healthy and enriching spare time activities. They care about their kids at all times.

Parents who become their children's leaders and show their kids the way to responsible decision making and knowing what is healthy and what isn't have no need to worry. They probably trust their kids, and enrolling in the health care centers is probably not a worry for them. Their kids come to their parents for guidance and direction. Should they decide sexual activity is desirable, they can probably discuss the issue with their parents who will them provide what ever precaution and safety measure need to be taken or not taken. Decisions of sexuality will come after thorough discussion of what it is the kid is entertaining as an activity and with whom. They will probably go to their own family doctors if it is decided contraceptives are necessary and desirable. Ideally the young person will see that sexual activity of any kind is not the best decision a young person can make.

Then their are the kids who don't have that kind of support system. They seek love, acceptance, friendship and direction from those outside their family unit. Many are tragedies waiting to happen.

The State and the Portland School Committee have identified pregnancies among very young girls as a significant problem and is addressing the problem. If all parents took the role of leader in their kids' lives, this component of the health care centers might not be needed. The truth is very young girls are still getting pregnant, and many of these pregnancies can be avoided.

Which is the better option for many of these kids...pregnancy at a young age without a proper support system, a very possible and probable abortion, sadness and heartache for all involved....or a young girl leading a risky life style but having access to birth control without judgement, punishment, or reprisal?

Old 10-19-2007, 02:51 PM

12,134 posts, read 22,292,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
Which is the better option for many of these kids...pregnancy at a young age without a proper support system, a very possible and probable abortion, sadness and heartache for all involved....or a young girl leading a risky life style but having access to birth control without judgement, punishment, or reprisal?
Neither is a great choice really. You have to continue with the latter choice though, you left out the other half of it. It should read; or a young girl leading a risky life style but having access to birth control without judgement, punishment, reprisal, or responsibility for her actions? While still continuing in a risky lifestyle that the option of birth control pills doesn't cover the real possibility of contracting AIDS, or entering into desperate destructive relationships.

That is the whole story. Without education on outcomes, throwing a band-aid solution over the problem doesn't make it go away, it just hides it for a while. This is a band-aid solution to a very real problem that runs deeper than a few kids having sex at an early age. Another case of taking the easy way out of something without taking a real look at what is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area