Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:14 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

Advertisements

"Parking in Portland! Yegads!"

Wait until February.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
The bolded is ideal, I agree, but it's not the case as far as I can tell. I very rarely see any buses driving around, so it doesn't seem like public transit is much of an option.

Would be great if it was, but I haven't seen much of it.
No, right! Where's the public transportation? Much of Old Port is cobblestone -- why can't there be trolleys, streetcars, etc. from a public parking area to the Old Port area.

I don't mind walking. It's the driving around trying to find spaces that I think is onerous. The meters are 2 hours max. You are forced to move your car after 2 hours (have the tickets to prove it). Ridiculous. What a waste of the work day.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:18 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
We've vacationed in Portland, ME before precisely BECAUSE parking is at a premium! What does this mean? The city prioritizes historic preservation, enhancing the pedestrian experience, and increasing density in its urban core over subsidizing suburbanites who want to drive back-and-forth on a daily basis. A surface parking lot is a huge waste of space in an otherwise thriving city. Unless you're physically-disabled or elderly I see no reason why you can't do what I do here in similarly-dense and historic Pittsburgh---park in a residential neighborhood (for free) and then HOOF IT. If you want there to be a parking space right in front of your front door (i.e. Wal-Mart or Applebee's) then play/work/live in suburbia. Here in Pittsburgh many neighborhoods are "permit zones", which means only residents of that immediate neighborhood can park for longer than two hours at a time, but I'm presuming Portland may be different?

Does Portland have any suburban "park 'n ride" lots that people from other communities can drive to, park, and then ride in on a bus? Are bike lanes an option? Like it or not Portland is a CITY, and the only cities that have ample and abundant free surface parking everywhere pretty much suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area