Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 05:13 AM

11 posts, read 18,459 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone ! I have found these forums it be very helpful. My husband and I have been considering moving our family (including our two children 4 and 2) to the Portland area. Most important to us is a good, safe school district. Next important to us is an easy commute to Lewiston and Portland. We have looked into Falmouth and Yarmouth. Both seem like good area to live but we are trying to get a feel for the communities and also trying to figure out if there are other communities that would be a good fit. Trying to get an idea of how involved people are in the community, how we'll people know each other and how accepting they are to people moving to the area. We have lived in the Syracuse, NY area for almost a decade now and so making this move is a gigantic decision for us. Basically we are trying to get as much info as possible before we have to make this decision in the next couple of weeks. Also does anyone have any opinion of St. Mary's hospital in Lewiston? That hospital would be a potential employer for one of us. We have family in MA and a big reason for considering the move is to be closer than we are now to family and it seems Maine is more affordable than MA? The property taxes in upstate NY are very high and that is another thing we are considering. Buy a cheaper home in upstate ny with larger property taxes vs buy a more expensive home in Maine with less expensive property taxes. Trying to get a feel for what our day to day life would be in Maine. What are some favorite activities with little ones in the Portland area? Any help would be very appreciated!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 05:32 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
If you decide on Portland you may not have to work in Lewiston. There is always Maine Medical Center. As far as Realestate taxes, remember the town you choose may decide to raise those. Cape Elizabeth is one of the desirable places in the Portland area - it borders Portland and has a nice beach. It depends on what you are planning to spend on a house. CE tends to be pricey. Portland has a childrens museum but as I don't have small kids I'm not familiar with what is offered with other activities. Most towns have soccer, dancing classes, and lots of other things of interest for kids. Try to come and spend several days exploring the area. Not sure how far you would be moving from.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the reply. My husband would specifically be taking a job in Lewiston but we would want to live close to both Lewiston and Portland to give other options in the event that he needs other options and also so that hopefully I can eventually find a job at one of the hospitals. I agree Cape Elizabeth is beautiful! We just came back from a week long trip to the area. Not sure it's in the cards for us though mainly because of the commute from Lewiston.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:43 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Some physicians chose to live in North Yarmouth, which is part of the SAD #51 Cumberland (Greely) School District and a good commute to CMMC or St. Mary's. Home prices tend to be higher the closer you get to Portland (and away from Lewiston) and are much higher than the Syracuse market. Some years ago, I had a Syracuse buyer with a $400,000 budget but wanting features of $600,000 houses get angry with me for showing him houses that were in his targeted budget. He had already transferred to Portland, but I'm not sure if he stayed or went back.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:20 AM

I can see how that would happen as there are many houses with high end features in Syracuse area that can be had for 400 thousand. The issue though is the property taxes in these cases can be 14,000-18,000. Correct me if I'm wrong but the property taxes seem to be less expensive in Falmouth and Yarmouth compared with the Fayetteville,NY example. We have driven around and seem to feel that we could afford what we need for a house up there. WhoFanMe could you speak to the appreciation of houses over time in the area? I noticed you are a real estate agent. One of the issues in Syracuse is that the house prices seem stable over time without the large gains and falls that other markets see. Do you think that houses tend to appreciate in value over time in Falmouth? How is the market now compared with 2 or 5 years ago?

Old 11-17-2013, 01:10 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Yes, you won't see 5 figure taxes unless you are on water, thank goodness. Like Syracuse, the Greater Portland market did not crash and burn, but probably depreciated 25-30% from the 2006 highs to 2012 when we seem to have hit bottom. The recovery in prices has begun, but I would estimate that we are behind much of the country in appreciation and have more to go to catch up. Falmouth and Cumberland are very desirable communities, but do have more inventory than Cape Elizabeth and Yarmouth which seem to be rising a bit quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area