Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:09 AM

89 posts, read 112,606 times

Advertisements

We're in our 50's, empty nesters. My huband will be flying up for a face to face interview soon, after a good phone interview. We've visited Maine twice, (for 2 weeks last summer we traveled up the coast to Bar Harbor trying to meander around and see as much as possible) and absolutely LOVED it and have a son who works summers at Maine State Music Theater in Brunswick. Born and raised in the South and so ready to leave!! He's in IT and I'm an artist (I know, like Maine needs another one of those?). I don't really have anything specific to ask yet, but would love to hear from others who have moved to Maine, especially from the South, about their experiences. I've really enjoyed reading many of these on the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 09:51 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
I'm not sure why you're targeting South Portland specifically, but I've done some work there in the last 30 days and the good news is that inventory has increased from last year, there are some houses on the market. Just last year, houses were snapped up in days, even near noisy 295. Things have changed, it's a more balanced market now.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:48 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandart View Post
... would love to hear from others who have moved to Maine, especially from the South, about their experiences. I've really enjoyed reading many of these on the forum.
I know a few couples who have moved to Maine from the South.

We moved here in '05, though not directly from the South. I did a long time on Active Duty in the Navy, so we moved a lot. We have lived in Va, SC, and my Dw lived in Fl before we met. Obviously we have lived in a other places too, but these were the only duty stations that were 'south'.

There is a lot more to Maine then just the region South of Portland.

Welcome to Maine.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:30 PM

Thanks for your replies. The job would be in South Portland and we don't want a long commute so that's why we would be looking there. We'd also look in the nearby areas, too, Gorham, Westbrook, Saco, etc. Is there something wrong with South Portland?

Old 07-12-2014, 02:12 PM

470 posts, read 1,841,462 times
We just moved from SC almost 3 weeks ago. We're currently renting in Scarborough. My DH works in Portland. You're really not going to have a long commute here regardless of where you decide to live. It takes us about 15 minutes to drive into Portland.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:07 AM

Thanks, thechappels, we're going to be checking out Portland, too, if we do move. One of the things I think we'll really like is the ease of getting around. I hate traffic! We had the option of relocating to the Chicago suburbs, but would prefer Maine, so hoping this job interview leads to an offer.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:50 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
Quote:
Thanks for your replies. The job would be in South Portland and we don't want a long commute so that's why we would be looking there. We'd also look in the nearby areas, too, Gorham, Westbrook, Saco, etc. Is there something wrong with South Portland?
Nothing wrong with South Portland, I've just never had a buyer say to me that they were looking there specifically (unless they were moving back home), so I thought it a bit odd. Your response above is more typical. Most want to view all towns within a 30 minute commute and then narrow their search down.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:47 PM

470 posts, read 1,841,462 times
Quote:
Thanks, thechappels, we're going to be checking out Portland, too, if we do move. One of the things I think we'll really like is the ease of getting around. I hate traffic! We had the option of relocating to the Chicago suburbs, but would prefer Maine, so hoping this job interview leads to an offer.
Compared to other cities (and we've lived in some of the craziest places in the world in regards to traffic), Portland is a relief--"traffic" is pretty non-existent. And once you learn the main roads of your particular area, getting around is a breeze. Good luck with the interview!

Old 07-16-2014, 12:56 PM

404 posts, read 777,791 times
Good luck with the interview and I hope you'll be joining us soon....especially with your son nearby in the summers.

I moved here from Alabama 4 years ago. I wasn't originally from there I lived there for 16 years prior.
I love it and I still love it here. I won't repeat traffic is non-existent , but I will say I've acclimated quickly. now anything above 75 seems warm to me. I do not miss air conditioning and I simply love the New England Sensibilities about living, money, dogs, art and supporting it, community, etc...you name it.

Hope you have a chance to find out what a wonderful place it is!

Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 AM

Atrixwolfe, thanks for the reply! I lived in Belgium for a year over 20 years ago and it "re-set" my body thermostat, LOL! I have hated the heat since, which is one (of many) reasons I want to move to Maine. I am intrigued by what you say about New England sensibilities- I have the impression from reading novels set in th area, from our visits there, from research, etc. that I would really like those sensibilities, too, but it's hard to know for sure if my impressions are accurate. So, I'd love to hear more specifically what you mean?? Either here or direct message me, THANKS in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area