Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:41 AM

128 posts, read 221,517 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have seen the Jesse Stone movies starring Tom Selleck, are there any towns in Maine that you would say are like the town that they filmed the Jesse Stone movies in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 02:07 PM

22,825 posts, read 28,049,079 times
Lewiston.

Lewiston is inland, whereas Paradise (which is fictional by the way) is coastal. But the smallish town near a large town, with both rich and poor, nice areas and bad areas, etc. Yeah, that's Lewiston.

Portland is too big to qualify.

Bath is too nice to have Paradise's seedier side.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:40 PM

25 posts, read 69,221 times
I just watched that series on Netflix. Enjoyed them. I wondered myself where about that place was. I'd love to live there...but I have to admit the constant rain got suffocating after awhile. Then again, maybe it was just Jesse rubbing off on me.

Surely the sun shines in Maine!

I want to know where "Haven" Maine and Chester's Mill are supposed to be, or at least where they're filmed.

Damn you Stephen King!!

Old 08-10-2014, 05:53 PM

534 posts, read 899,534 times
Freeport

Old 08-11-2014, 07:12 AM

22,825 posts, read 28,049,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesM View Post
I just watched that series on Netflix. Enjoyed them. I wondered myself where about that place was.
The actual filming location? New Brunswick. It's a lot like Maine, only without the Bill of Rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesM View Post
I want to know where "Haven" Maine and Chester's Mill are supposed to be, or at least where they're filmed.
Check imdb. I think Under the Dome is actually filmed in North Carolina. I'd be very surprised if Haven isn't filmed in Canada somewhere.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:56 PM

37,210 posts, read 60,920,437 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Stone_(character)

Says that 'Jesse Stone' character is the police chief for the small town of Paradise, Massachusetts (based on the real town of Marblehead, Massachusetts).

I have not seen it myself.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:41 AM

348 posts, read 411,012 times
Long time lurker, first time poster. Sorry if I'm stepping on any toes.
Like some of the posters above, I was "turned on" to Maine courtesy of Stephen King. That's not my only interest in the state, though - currently seeking places to have a "working retirement" in a cooler climate.

Many of the shows and movies you see that are set in Maine aren't actually filmed there.
Under the Dome, for example, is filmed in Southport and Wilmington, North Carolina. Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome_(TV_series)#Filming
I've seen a couple articles indicating that Bridgton, Maine was the RL inspiration for Stephen King's town of Chester's Mill. Here's one such article:
http://www.bridgton.com/stepping-inside-stephen-kings-dome/

Haven (another TV series based on a book by Stephen King) is filmed farther up the coast in Nova Scotia - not even in the US. Most of the imagery from the TV series are actually shots of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haven_(fictional_town)

I do have to wonder, though, how much of what's shown of Maine town life in these shows is similar to reality - for example, the differences between people just visiting on vacation vs. people who stay through the Winter and beyond. There have been a few episodes of Haven that have seemed familiar from what I've read on these boards about Maine.

EDIT: No idea how to get these links in there properly. I don't need them to be clickable.

-T.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:20 PM

37,210 posts, read 60,920,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster. Sorry if I'm stepping on any toes.
Like some of the posters above, I was "turned on" to Maine courtesy of Stephen King.
The author Stephen King lives in Maine. I think that is the primary connection between the fiction he writes and the state of Maine.

Quote:
... currently seeking places to have a "working retirement" in a cooler climate.
I know a number of people who have migrated to Maine, for their retirement, some of whom are working p/t or else self-employed.

Quote:
... how much of what's shown of Maine town life in these shows is similar to reality - for example, the differences between people just visiting on vacation vs. people who stay through the Winter and beyond.
In this town, we see very few out-of-state tourists. 2 or 3 times every summer, I will see someone pulled over on the side of the road studying a map. They are usually from out-of-state, and lost. That is the primary interaction I have with tourists.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:22 AM

348 posts, read 411,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The author Stephen King lives in Maine. I think that is the primary connection between the fiction he writes and the state of Maine.
Point taken, good sir! He's stated that Bridgton was the inspiration for the town in Under the Dome, but there are lots of things that are "based on a true story" that are absolutely nothing like reality...like The Serpent and the Rainbow movie, for example.

Thanks for your input. I'll be posting some more in depth intro / info-seeking in another post so's not to hijack the OP's thread too badly.

-T.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:51 PM

25 posts, read 69,221 times
None of that hampers my decision to relocate to Maine whatsoever but it does make me wonder how much of any of the charming nuances seen on the screen are true to life. My ideal place to live is the *sort of* location Haven is filmed, but unless a Canadian wants to marry me and help me expatriate then it needs to be US based.

On the topic, what about Jessica Fletcher's Cabott Cove? I know Bar Harbor's a real place they always referenced - was it filmed up there? I read somewhere that Cabott Cove was the deadliest place in the country but I assumed it's also a fictional place.

I definitely understand about stereotypes. In high school, New England towns, as far as I was concerned (from tv/movies) were overflowing with elderly witch covens who made nice with yuppy tourists only to steal their babies. It made me terrified of anyone over 50 lol.

I'm originally from Louisiana and there is always that one stereotype that grates my nerves because it's so ridiculously false for the entire state: Voodoo. In every show/movie, they're going all out for the voodoo death parade, creepy black folk, and all the black women are voodoo high priestesses giving tourists the stink eye, the whole thing is absurd nonsense. Black women in Louisiana are bold, gregarious, and have no trouble getting up in your business to tell you off. The religious right wouldn't even remotely tolerate voodoo doing much more than an incidental appearance without it inciting a full on religious riot. They went absolutely batsht when the male dance review showed up. Halloween only happens on paper most everywhere and is a wrap by dusk. Voodoo is 99% fiction, 1% actual in Louisiana and even that is relegated to the shadows because the religious right isn't going to stand for it.

And don't even get me started on True Blood - goth scene won't happen anywhere in that state without a truck load of good ole boy redneck oil field workers causing a ruckus. I tried to watch a few episodes but all I could think was every last one of those vampires would be beat half to death in the street by a trio of Bubbahs up in Shreveport and the Billy Rays from Monroe. The very idea of underworld vampires in Shreveport/Monroe/anywhere else is about as retarded as finding the London Bridge in western Arizona, with Jack the Ripper stories. (Actually there was one from the 80s I think, about Jack the Ripper killing people on the London bridge IN Lake Havasu City...David Hasslehoff was in it. I had to stop watching it, it was so off the wall. That's True Blood being set in Louisiana.

Still, from studying the forums and various blogs, sites, and news feeds Maine is exactly the sort of place I want to live. I think my problem will be finding a spot - they all seem fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area