Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 03:37 AM

2 posts, read 11,372 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there is a beach or some bike path along the ocean? I can't tell from maps streetview, but I know there are lighthouse bike tours so they must have a path somewhere. I'm thinking about walking from one to another (no car) and if there is a scenic route, I'd like to go there. If the beach is blocked, is the neighborhood around that area safe?

Also, how much would a cab ride from the Portland Head Light to main Portland be?

Or what is the best way to get from Portland to South Portland to see the lighthouses without a car? It looks like I'll be taking public transportation as far as that will take me and then maybe getting a cab back at this point. Any help is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 06:47 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
It's too far to walk, no walkable pathway between the two. I would call the Portland Head Light, (207) 799-2661 for info on public transportation and taxi info.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:31 AM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times
From Portland, take South Portland Bus 21 from Congress St. to SMCC to go to Spring Point. From Spring Point, walk/bike back towards Cottage Rd, but turn down Little John Rd. Follow Little John to Cottage Rd. Portland Headlight will be on your left. It's about 2 miles total walking in one direction. Totally doable on a nice day.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:59 AM

66 posts, read 101,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
From Portland, take South Portland Bus 21 from Congress St. to SMCC to go to Spring Point. From Spring Point, walk/bike back towards Cottage Rd, but turn down Little John Rd. Follow Little John to Cottage Rd. Portland Headlight will be on your left. It's about 2 miles total walking in one direction. Totally doable on a nice day.
Hunh?

When you are at Spring Point, just walk along the coastal path around SMCC,across Willard Beach, then exit the beach onto Willard St, take a left onto Preble St, follow that until you meet up with Shore Rd (right behind the Cape Elizabeth Service Center), then take a left onto Shore Rd until you see Fort Williams on your left.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobot View Post
Hunh?

When you are at Spring Point, just walk along the coastal path around SMCC,across Willard Beach, then exit the beach onto Willard St, take a left onto Preble St, follow that until you meet up with Shore Rd (right behind the Cape Elizabeth Service Center), then take a left onto Shore Rd until you see Fort Williams on your left.
Pretty much the same thing, but without walking on the path. Shore Rd. is Cottage Rd. And... without a car, the South Portland bus can get you to SMCC and/or Cottage Rd.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:30 AM

66 posts, read 101,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Pretty much the same thing, but without walking on the path. Shore Rd. is Cottage Rd. And... without a car, the South Portland bus can get you to SMCC and/or Cottage Rd.
Where is Little John Rd? Never heard of it, and don't see it on the map. The only one I know is directly across from Fort Williams in Cape.

I agree about getting there, though. I just think my route would be the easiest to walk, and the most scenic.

Last edited by Giantrobot; 10-13-2014 at 12:41 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 08:59 AM

404 posts, read 777,637 times
Doubthang has the right buss info. But Giantrobot has the good walking direction.
Once you reach Prebble, stop at Scratch for a coffee or a pastry...or williard scoops if its still open for an ice cream. then proceed down cottage to FT William (aka portland headlight). Very Very safe neighborhood...good walking sidewalk down cottage. Its also its very walkable.
Back to porland if your tired you can pick the buss back up by williard sq near scratch. you'll have to check the buss schedule. If you want to walk just keep going up cottage, past turn on right on ocean walk to the park at the ever end of ocean and up the ramp and over the bridge.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobot View Post
Where is Little John Rd? Never heard of it, and don't see it on the map. The only one I know is directly across from Fort Williams in Cape.

I agree about getting there, though. I just think my route would be the easiest to walk, and the most scenic.
Littlejohn Rd is in the Cape. It shouldn't be in my original post. I got that name from a bad map. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area