Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:47 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNurse24 View Post
No disrespect taken Maineguy but remember I am from maine. born and raised. I think it's twofold. People who don't understand the culture or people of Maine tend to spew negativity and natives certainly spew negativity to the outsiders.. so it is a catch 22.

My point is that once I moved away, I became more cultured and experienced life in a different light so from that perspective alone it may be hard to mingle/interact with folks who aren't cultured. You have to admit that mainers are usually stuck in their own world views and don't broaden that too often. (esp the older folk). I still have a lot of friends and family up there and just from personal conversations do I make this inference alone. I think someone on this thread commented about "forget trying to educate" .. etc.. From my experience living there and going back for visits I still come to the same conclusion that a lot of Mainers don't travel too far and they are fine with just staying right there. I'd like to think the younger generations are a tad more liberal but they are also usually transplanted into the state.

There are a lot of positive things I can contribute though. One is the friendliness. Mainers (and I will always pride myself on this) are friendly and will help you unconditionally. If you break down on the side of the road, someone will stop for you and help. I never encountered "Rude" until I left the state. You can also get work done on cars cheap as someone who knows someone will usually give you the hookup. Lots of old fashioned values also come to mind so if you're not into change too much then you'll fit right in. Usually the same goes for housing, finding jobs etc. Someone always knows someone that can help you.

You can't lose with all of the clean lakes and of course, the ocean. I grew up swimming in Watchic lake in Standish, Sebago Lake and of course OOB and Scarborough beach were my hang outs for the ocean.

Nature of course is a huge plus. Lots of fresh blueberries and other fruits are always a hit and farm fresh corn and vegetables are awesome. I always tell people to make sure they buy from side of the road farm stands.

Great place for hunting, fishing, swimming and nature trails/hiking and skiing/snowmobiling in the winter.

I haven't been home in 15 years so I can't speak on the job market. I'm sure there have been many changes. Aside from health care and retail, i'm not sure what other opportunities are in abundance there.

Is that better Maineguy? lol *smile*

Well, I AM less upset and more just confused.....
You seem to say that Mainers can be rude to outsiders, but then you turn around and say Mainers are very nice. I think what you're saying is that they may be nice to YOU (you aren't from away) but they might treat your in-laws badly.
I really, really do think it all depends on the "vibe" that is given off. Let me give you an example. My in-laws are from Toronto, one of the world's most "cosmopolitan, cultured" cities. My father in law was the chairman of the board for the TSO until recently; he's still involved in that and many other philanthropic cultural activities, as is my mother in law. They are among what some people would call the elite of society. They are always off exploring some far corner of the globe. All of their families and friends are HIGHLY successful and fit the profile of what I assume you would call "cultured". They've got so much culture it's coming out their ears, as Tim Sample would say. And when they come visit us in the backwaters of Maine, they love it. They have nothing but good things to say to and about everyone. They certainly don't look down on us. These people who can easily afford $100 a plate dinners will go with us to our favorite local eateries, and say, "wow, that was good" (or if they don't enjoy it, they say it was at least filling). They enjoy it when we expose them to our own local cultural things, as simple as they may be. (No symphony orchestras in The County!)
And of course, people here can tell that they are not being frowned upon, and they treat my in-laws great. (The same goes for my wife's friends who are of all cultural backgrounds and love to come visit).
Mainers have been treated so badly so many times, by people from away, that they do indeed tend to be a tad standoffish at first. But it doesn't take hardly any sign of decency on the part of those people from away-- one little comment to show that you're not a jerk--to get Mainers to welcome them wholeheartedly.

Another point: many Mainers may not travel too much. That is somewhat a function of poverty/just not having much disposable income. But recognize, too, that this accusation is somewhat of a stereotype. It is common for Mainers to leave for a while, and then come back.
And here's a neat thing specific to my area: many of us go to Canada all the time. Another country, if you can believe it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 09:59 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
I was born and raised in Maine and up until 2009 have lived in New England my whole life. In 2009 i decided to go down to Florida for the winter and i ended up staying there until 2015. I've been back for 3 months now and i notice that even friends and family can act pretty weird towards me. I'm not sure whats going on exactly but putting the very gloomy overly emotional and insecure culture stuff aside for a minute, it seems like there is a New England vs everyone else mentality going on. Even though most my life i've lived here it seems i am now "somebody else". The people i vibe with the best are people who have also spent time outside of New England or the more city type people. Like i say even long time friends of mine act weird towards me. The vibes not the same. Some of them just avoid me but the ones that do hang out, many of them take no hesitation to bash Florida if they can. They also seem very sensitive and almost insecure. Constantly looking to prove themselves or play weird ego games.

Am i missing something here -- why this kind of attitude? It seems relatively consistent. I admit i don't have an accent anymore, dress a little different (no flannel type stuff/more flashy), articulate myself more clearly, have a more positive mentality. Is that the issue? Can someone please fill me in? It's sort of insane and i don't get it. Id like to try to understand. Sometimes i think i might just have to leave this place behind at this point.
Thought this Thread would be helpful to people researching their move to Maine. Everywhere you move will have its ups and downs. Internet research and travel books point out the hot spots of an area. After you have lived there awhile you can see the downside. The downside usually always boils down to the people.

I am torn between putting up with the attitude of all the immigrants in NJ or attitude of a majority of Maine. Heard the somali population is still growing.

I talk to a friend in rural Maine who wants me to move back. We both agree how similar we are but are from two very different cultures. He is a left leaning Republican and I am a right leaning Democrat. I love the state, it's the people that give me pause.

The winters are harsh and long but aren't a big deal just be ready for them.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:50 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
Mainers---in person are among the nicest people we ever met in any of our travels. People is South Carolina were a distant second.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:08 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

If you took count, I guarantee that at least half of your friends in Portland are not from Maine (I'll bet it is even higher, too).
I wish I had taken that bet. Most of the people we have become friends with are life-long Mainers (or as one guy I play hockey with put it "since 1664 except for the year my ancestors were captured by Indians and taken to Canada"). Some have only lived here 40 years but that's long enough for me to consider them Mainers.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:12 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
Portland is Maine about as much as (I'm guessing this is a reference you'd get) Austin is representative of Texas. And as someone else said, ask them where they're originally from and I guarantee you'll find out probably more than half are from NY/MA/CT originally.
See the last post I made. You are incorrect in your assumption.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:36 PM

155 posts, read 196,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
See the last post I made. You are incorrect in your assumption.
Good for you skippy. You already slyly admitted in your last post a lot of them moved here later but YOU consider them Mainers (that don't make 'em Mainers to the rest of us), it was obvious from your original posts you already had your opinion set and weren't looking to discuss, you were looking for agreement. So of course you'll be selectively remembering things now as well.

Last edited by jeremywolf81; 09-14-2017 at 02:44 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 11:06 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,073 times
Submariner
I think a big reason why so many Mainers accept you is your beard.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:22 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Submariner
I think a big reason why so many Mainers accept you is your beard.
You say the sweetest things

Old 10-29-2017, 12:21 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
"He is a left leaning Republican and I am a right leaning Democrat."

Think about it. When those two face each other they are both leaning in the same direction.

I became a volunteer fireman in 1957. I soon learned that it didn't make any difference if the other man on the hose was a Republican, Democrat, Baptist or Buddhist. You have to put the fire out.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:24 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"He is a left leaning Republican and I am a right leaning Democrat."

Think about it. When those two face each other they are both leaning in the same direction.

I became a volunteer fireman in 1957. I soon learned that it didn't make any difference if the other man on the hose was a Republican, Democrat, Baptist or Buddhist. You have to put the fire out.
So long as the fireman can manage to save the stone foundation, we are all good

I just hate it whenever I see they have lost a foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area