Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:29 AM

631 posts, read 748,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Hi Jeremy After reading your post, I decided to do a little research. Maine incarceration rates by race, 2001 ... | Prison Policy Initiative

page 8 (yr 2005) http://www.sentencingproject.org/doc/publications
/rd_stateratesofincbyraceandethnicity.pdf

Maine QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Maine population by counties and race (info for some Maine cities) Maine Demographics - Get Current Census Data for Maine

Population of whites in Cumberland County 91%; Lewiston 86.5%; Androscoggin County 91.6% whites

Maine population by County for total of Mixed Race residents

What logical conclusions can be drawn? If more than 90% (one web site lists 95.2% of the state's population is white, then should more than 90% of inmates also be white? (something to ponder and research)

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Prison Overcrowding: Maine - ALEC - American Legislative Exchange Council According to this web site, the number of violent crimes in Maine increased 10% between 2004 and 2009, Maine's prison population increased 1.4%; Maine's prison incarceration rate is 3 TIMES less than the national average making it the lowest; Maine has the lowest violent crime rate in the country (119.8 per 100,00) That violent crime rate is too high IMO, and I love my Maine.
Other states ignore these stats as well and refrain from bringing them up because that would make once again, topics on immigration and welfare "look bad".

Last edited by Yac; 06-11-2015 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 10:39 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,899,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechRocker View Post
Who isn't? The news aggregation site you linked isn't a real media source.

What do you mean, "who isn't?" Who isn't what?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:10 AM

234 posts, read 359,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
What do you mean, "who isn't?" Who isn't what?
Just a few posts back...
Quote:
Why do you suppose some news media mention race and others do not?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:12 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,899,831 times
Do you mean "who isn't mentioning race"?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:18 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,180 times
Quote:
Who isn't? The news aggregation site you linked isn't a real media source.
I think you are crazy in the head...I can't wait for you to share your definition of a "real media source."

Old 06-09-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I think you are crazy in the head...I can't wait for you to share your definition of a "real media source."
Of the ones you linked, only wopular doesn't appear to mention a description of the individual. Wopular is not a real media source, it just crawls and collects information from the Internet to create its own stories. The description on the main page of the site even states this:

"Wopular is a news aggregation site, giving a summary view of the top headlines from the top news sites. The search box searches sites like CNN, NY Times, Digg, Google News, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, Yahoo, Bing, Wikipedia, and many more, all on one site."

If there are others sources that do not mention the race of the individual, as YOU stated, I am inquiring as to which ones.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Do you mean "who isn't mentioning race"?
Yes. A claim was made that some media sources are not mentioning the race of the individual. I'm asking which ones.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:52 AM

Nevermind, I see it now. The WCSH6 article does not.

Police: woman scares off robber by pulling gun on him

I quickly glanced at it and assumed the blurb said black male, because everything else from the description that the other articles posted was left in. My apologies for any confusion!

Old 06-09-2015, 12:03 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,535 times
MAN.....Maine is one of the safest states in the entire USA!!

The Safest States in America - 24/7 Wall St.

It's not like it's Florida, Tennessee, or Maryland.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:07 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,180 times
Quote:
Nevermind, I see it now. The WCSH6 article does not.

Police: woman scares off robber by pulling gun on him

I quickly glanced at it and assumed the blurb said black male, because everything else from the description that the other articles posted was left in. My apologies for any confusion!
I figured with your adversarial attitude and attack on the nature of the news source, you must be from away. At least you can admit when you have made an error and apologize. just an fyi...I am ok with counting an aggregate news site as a "real media site." I also count Reader's Digest as a "real" magazine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area