Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 04:28 PM

171 posts, read 197,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camanchaca View Post
I inquired with one of the farms at the farmer's market here last year about farm shares, and it was "give us $100 for $110 of credit at the market", I passed on it and am going to look a little further afield for next year.

Well that's disappointing! Keep at it, and I'm sure you'll find one! It might be easier to get started with one in the fall or winter, though. There might be some Maine farmers on the board that could give you a better idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 05:44 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesforever View Post
Also, Submariner, Farmers Market produce is really expensive! I belong to a farm share, and I feel good about what I am doing, but I don't necessarily think the quality is any better, and it costs a lot more (2-3x more), and I end up with stuff that I have to go buy more stuff at the grocery store just to do anything with. I usually only go to Farmers' Markets to look around. We have them all over the place here too, several times a week in many locations.
I sell some produce, other vendors tell me that when they make the 3 hour drive South to the Portland Farmer's Markets, they bump their prices 3X.

My Dw is the produce manager in a grocery store down in Bangor. Local Maine Certified Organic produce averages only 15% higher prices than conventional produce from her store distributors.

If you are within an hour drive of NH, you have not entered Maine yet.

Quote:
Sorry, I am just saying I was underwhelmed by Falmouth.
I can see that.

Have you ever visited Maine?

Old 06-28-2015, 06:05 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camanchaca View Post
I inquired with one of the farms at the farmer's market here last year about farm shares, and it was "give us $100 for $110 of credit at the market", I passed on it and am going to look a little further afield for next year.
I organized the CSA fair in Bangor this year, it was interesting to see so many different variations among CSAs. Each farm operating as a CSA, does it differently.

As I type this, we are winding up from our monthly potluck/meeting of our county chapter of MOFGA. A few of our members operate CSAs and they deliver to your doorstep.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:53 AM

234 posts, read 360,120 times
Quote:
To the person who spoke about the Bloods and the Crips. You are so ignorant. This is not 80s/90s Los Angeles. I feel safe in Hartford, and I am sure you all would be surprised to learn that West Hartford is its own city, and has a population very similar in size to that of Portland.
I'm pretty sure there's a homicide every hour in Hartford. Who cares if you're from the "WEST SIDE", it's still a decaying heap of a city. Can you even open the door of your house without getting mugged? LOL HARTFORD.

I do agree with you about it being unfortunate that Maine does not have lakes, forests, it mountains. We do have a pretty sizable desert though, full of cacti and other desert things. There is also a great surfing culture here. Mahalo.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:07 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
To the person who spoke about the Bloods and the Crips. You are so ignorant. This is not 80s/90s Los Angeles. I feel safe in Hartford, and I am sure you all would be surprised to learn that West Hartford is its own city, and has a population very similar in size to that of Portland.
So all of this is wrong?

CTGIA Gang Information

Gang-Related News Articles

Hartford's "Infested" With Gangs: Cops | NBC Connecticut

Police: Gangs In Schools - tribunedigital-thecourant

https://prezi.com/pxwwgoadduo0/connecticut-gangs/

Old 06-29-2015, 10:34 AM

793 posts, read 1,342,961 times
The negative attitude, which will be projected onto her kids, is going to cause a lot more damage than the lack of activities, lifeguards and mountains in southern Maine.

If this relocation is basically a done deal, it's time to look for the positives, not the negatives.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:47 AM

177 posts, read 410,361 times
Why is anyone still responding to this person? She has formed her own opinion and, by god, no one is going to change her mind. Not sure why she even came on to this forum unless her goal was to inform Mainers of the problems with Maine. No one is saying Maine is perfect, but there is a reason Maine is ranked #2 (half kidding - these rankings are not to be taken seriously. But I love Maine, so I like to see it so high on the list):

Ranking All 50 United States of America From Best to Worst

Old 06-30-2015, 11:40 AM

28 posts, read 47,059 times
Agreed - some helpful has come out of this thread but i think its time to leave this person to his/her misery and get out into the beautiful Maine summer weather

Old 06-30-2015, 02:56 PM

234 posts, read 360,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco17 View Post
Why is anyone still responding to this person? She has formed her own opinion and, by god, no one is going to change her mind. Not sure why she even came on to this forum unless her goal was to inform Mainers of the problems with Maine. No one is saying Maine is perfect, but there is a reason Maine is ranked #2 (half kidding - these rankings are not to be taken seriously. But I love Maine, so I like to see it so high on the list):

Ha ha, Connecticut sucks.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:50 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco17 View Post
No one is saying Maine is perfect, but there is a reason Maine is ranked #2 (half kidding - these rankings are not to be taken seriously. But I love Maine, so I like to see it so high on the list):

I'm dubious about any list that puts Louisiana in the Top 10, but man they got #50 right. Also glad to see Kentucky so high on the list. It's the only region in the Americas that has figured out how to make a truly spectacular whiskey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area