Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2015, 03:59 PM

56 posts, read 77,261 times

Advertisements

Hi. I live in Chicago with my family. We are looking at possibly moving to Portland, though it probably won't be for another 4 years -- we are hoping to get our kids through high school first.

I've been looking at the ads for homes on Zillow. I think my search is for $200,000-800,000, and I've really only looked at places on the peninsula, since that's where we'd like to live. I've noticed that, although many say they include "off street parking," very few actually use the term "garage." Does that really mean that these homes have uncovered parking spaces? Is there no room to build garages? Given the winters, this does concern me. Can anyone explain how this works?

Thanks!

Wendy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 10:36 PM

404 posts, read 774,659 times
its really odd but garages are not as common here....especially on the peninsula. You might need to consider south portland, cape elizabeth, falmouth, deering area ( the areas really close to portland) if you want a garage....and even then only 1 car garage is the norm!
Funny thing is that is how I ended up in cape was because a garage was a requirement for me, and as it turns out I'm far happier here than I would have been in Portland.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:16 AM

234 posts, read 357,847 times
You will likely not find a garage on the peninsula. Parking garage, sure. There are some driveways though!

Old 09-11-2015, 04:43 PM

879 posts, read 2,331,666 times
Houses are hard to come by with garages, but many of the new condos come with covered parking.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the responses. That's definitely food for thought. I guess the houses would have been built before cars existed, and there's not enough land for a garage? Hmm.

At this point, I really would like to live in the thick of things. Partly it's because our current neighborhood is boring. But it's also because our old son has autism and doesn't drive (yet, anyway). Given the lack of great public transportation in Portland, it would be ideal to live within walking distance of stores and restaurants, and, hopefully, work.

However, I also know that there are many things are that are driving distance, and that we will still need a car. And, of course, my husband and I have very different taste in cars, so right now we have two. I'd prefer to take care of them and not have to dig them out all the time.

We're planning to visit Portland next summer, so we'll try to take a closer look at the houses and garages then.

Thanks again.

Wendy

Old 09-30-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy013 View Post
Given the lack of great public transportation in Portland, it would be ideal to live within walking distance of stores and restaurants, and, hopefully, work.

Wendy
What is your definition of great public transportation?

Old 10-01-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
What is your definition of great public transportation?
Busses or trains that run regularly and go where you need to, preferably without transfers. I remember reading that Portland's busses only run once an hour. Hopefully, that is not the case. I would not want to have to plan my entire day around a bus schedule. That is especially difficult on the return trip.

Ideally, I would not want to have to wait more than 15 minutes during high usage time and a half hour during very low usage time (over night?).

Old 10-03-2015, 10:45 AM

Welcome to Greater Portland METRO Bus

Look at the schedules. Not all buses run at 15 minutes, but some areas are served in 15 minute intervals. Most buses have headways of 30 minutes. Portland is a small city. To have the service they do is impressive. I will be the first to admit that it isn't perfect (not by a long shot,) but it is getting better.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:12 PM

Thanks for providing the link to the map and schedule. Maybe by the time we move there, they will run run the buses a little closer together. I've heard that "the millennial generation" is big on public transportation. I think I was born too soon.

In the meantime, a half hour is doable, but it does require planning than 10-15 minute intervals do not.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:16 AM

I can tell you that in 4 years, the transit system will see some big changes. This spring will see an expansion to Yarmouth and Freeport. There will also be an online app and website coming out to track the buses in real time.

As far as increasing the frequency of the buses, that takes a lot of money... public money in the form of taxes. This has always been the issue with public transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area