Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 05:32 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,068 times

Advertisements

Bottom line is that one must be able to complete an I-9- which one has to produce one of several things to work anywhere. And adding there are very stiff penalities.
In order to complete an I-9- one must have a Social security card, drivers license/photo id, or work/migrant work visa.
Easily all this can be reported so be very careful if stating someone is an " illegal".

( and opinion experience - the politicians have nothing to do with as there are already laws on the books. One must complete the I -9 for tax purposes etc )

Old 11-27-2015, 07:24 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangorboy View Post
This summer I knew of a few people with good work records and 5-10 years experience that answered ads for Roofers for a large mid coast Roofing company. They haven't been hired but illegals have. Although they are very cheap labor for this company Maine people are being denied jobs. If anyone sees this they should report it!
I think I know them "Stay Out Of The Rain"?

Old 11-27-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Bottom line is that one must be able to complete an I-9- which one has to produce one of several things to work anywhere. And adding there are very stiff penalities.
In order to complete an I-9- one must have a Social security card, drivers license/photo id, or work/migrant work visa.
Easily all this can be reported so be very careful if stating someone is an " illegal".

( and opinion experience - the politicians have nothing to do with as there are already laws on the books. One must complete the I -9 for tax purposes etc )
Not if they get paid cash and buy everything cash all off the books. Work under an alias. I know because I have Experienced it first hand. My sister is an ESL teacher and is on the front lines of this issue. I worked with an immigrant that told me he uses an alias. I worked for a company that expected me to pick them up and drop them off and not get paid for my time to do so.

We don't need more laws, just to enforce what we have. And that is the politicians job to make sure the laws they wrote are enforced through the Judicial system. People skirting the system need to be held accountable.
Illegals and the people that employ them. If they knew they couldn't get away with it I am sure it would be less likely to happen.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:16 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
It happens because Americans allow it to happen. It's a joke in Florida how much this problem goes on. Then after earning their tax free money, these illegals go and pay for everything in cash. Go to a business in Florida, and the lines of Hispanic people paying cash is out the door. They literally pay for everything in life with cash. Then they pack up and go to the next location to work, or go back to their homeland.

If it's going on in Maine as this thread states, I would report this company to the Department of Labor. I would not let them get away with it. Then I would boycott the company, and make damn sure they knew the word was out on them. I do not believe the bull in this country, that these companies cannot find Americans to do the work. Or that Americans will not do the work. These companies do not want to find them, because they would have to pay them a certain wage. People really do need to report and boycott these sleeze type businesses.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:25 PM

33 posts, read 66,137 times
I'll say it again--only 23% of those starting grammar school finish 4 years of college. so 70+% of kids getting out of high school need entry level jobs. 11 to 32 million illegals competing for those jobs makes a very unfair situation. I don't blame these people from coming here anyone living where they come from would want to come here. It's the people that hire them that have to be stopped. Someone on here implied that I thought citizens where all white I hope I'm not that stupid we are probably the most diverse country in the world and we should be proud of that.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:06 AM

125 posts, read 153,407 times
Checking out the ‘the other Portland’ for my daughters, it’s sickening to find you’re dealing with the same type of illegal workers that have nearly taken over the West Coast… American’s will ‘do the work,’ but cannot afford or don’t care to live 3 families to a dwelling in order to survive on the cut-rate wages paid to illegals. And after the illegal employers starve out the legitimate (legal) locals, it’s over - there are no choices left but to hire those employing illegals..

I’m relocating from Oregon to Virginia, and have been relieved to see far fewer illegal economic immigrants out East. But if you can’t stop it - you’ll end up like ‘us’ out West - but with nowhere to go… ‘E-verify’ for employers, and some serious scrutiny by consumers, and yes, the laws are in place, but need enforced. We’ve small towns in Oregon with majority newly legal, quasi-legal, and illegal residents calling the shots. Imported gangs, drugs, degraded schools, depleted social services (paid for by legal residents), horrendous crime, destroyed neighborhoods… I will have escaped it.. but fear for my nation, and my children ..planning their escapes to the NE…

Old 12-19-2015, 05:44 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
Welcome to reality Maine. I lived there for fourteen years and most of your illegals are Semolina or French. I had friends in Canada and some bashed Americans, until I told them we have the same feeling mostly along the Mexico border.

We all started at the bottom but once you are in the door you work your way up. The illegals take advantage of our generosity and move back to where they came from with all the tax free money they earned not paying into the system killing our economy.

Our Presidential candidates are out of touch and need to follow these forums.
I dealt with illegals and legal applicants for green cards for years as well as all the gray areas in between. You're theory is what's out of touch. Most get a false social security number when illegal, and pay taxes and social security into the system - which they'll never get back. A quietly hidden little conundrum that, if taken away, would put a massive dent in collections by the IRS. Still, the "system" teeters on the verge of insolvency. So your broad brush theory about "the illegals take advantage of our generosity . . . tax free money . . . not paying into the system . . . killing our economy " is pure, unadulterated fantasy. It's tea -P fiction. The problem is government itself, thrift savings plans (that the rest of us pay for, but don't get), retirement benefits, etc., etc. Greedy, self-serving government. I've got a friend retired at full boat pay (over $150K a year) from the federal gov't WITH benefits (U.S. Magistrate). I've got another friend, age 58, just retired from the military as a General. He was a pilot, but never actually went to college - some malarkey about some NY University or some such thing where he got a "Bachelor's" for "life experience." A nice guy, a solid "C" student when we were kids, but not General material. Just family connected and learned to play the game of retiring from gov't. More power to both of these guys, but it's galling having to pay taxes to cover it. The taxpayers are being scammed 14 ways to Sunday, and not by illegals.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I dealt with illegals and legal applicants for green cards for years as well as all the gray areas in between. You're theory is what's out of touch. Most get a false social security number when illegal, and pay taxes and social security into the system - which they'll never get back. A quietly hidden little conundrum that, if taken away, would put a massive dent in collections by the IRS. Still, the "system" teeters on the verge of insolvency. So your broad brush theory about "the illegals take advantage of our generosity . . . tax free money . . . not paying into the system . . . killing our economy " is pure, unadulterated fantasy. It's tea -P fiction. The problem is government itself, thrift savings plans (that the rest of us pay for, but don't get), retirement benefits, etc., etc. Greedy, self-serving government. I've got a friend retired at full boat pay (over $150K a year) from the federal gov't WITH benefits (U.S. Magistrate). I've got another friend, age 58, just retired from the military as a General. He was a pilot, but never actually went to college - some malarkey about some NY University or some such thing where he got a "Bachelor's" for "life experience." A nice guy, a solid "C" student when we were kids, but not General material. Just family connected and learned to play the game of retiring from gov't. More power to both of these guys, but it's galling having to pay taxes to cover it. The taxpayers are being scammed 14 ways to Sunday, and not by illegals.
I am staying on topic talking about illegals only. They are part of the problem, not the only problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
View detailed profiles of: