U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:39 AM

34 posts, read 35,656 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to get out of the rat race in southwest CT and we are looking at Falmouth. It has been noted that the schools are good but it has no real town. I also noticed that there is no newcomers group, but there are country clubs. We are a member of a club here and might look to join one but we also like get out, be social etc. Anyone have any input on life in Falmouth as well as the kids programs? I love the beauty of Maine, the outdoors and it would be great to be in a place with a real community small town feel with the Portland amenities/restaurants I'm 44 wife is 34. Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 08:18 PM

9 posts, read 11,344 times
Falmouth is very popular for its school system. You are right though there is not small town feel living there. I do not live there but my husband works for the town. They have great sports teams as well! I live in Old Orchard Beach were our school system is good not great BUT we have the small town community feel! Love out little community. We have events going on all year long for families. Everyone helps everyone and we all know each other! I grew up living in South Portland which is a bigger city and I would not go back to a bigger town if you paid me! I would be happy to answer any questions you may have! Feel free to message me and I will ask my husband more about Falmouth for you.

Sara

Old 11-11-2015, 09:24 AM

797 posts, read 1,899,244 times
Why Falmouth? If you like the area, but want a downtown, try Yarmouth. I understand the wanting of a town center. My gf and I are in the process of moving out of Portland to Pownal. There is no downtown really in Pownal, but that sacrifice allows us to own a great piece of land that is centrally located to all the major towns/cities in the area.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:03 AM

34 posts, read 35,656 times
I appreciate the input on Falmouth and the small town community feel at Old Orchard. We are going to explore the area around New Year's. Our winter's here are probably almost as severe as we are up in elevation- what's the difference between three feet and four feet of snow? Yarmouth seems like a real nice area but perhaps a little further from Portland but I am not sure I would want to drive to Portland from Falmouth to grab a cup of coffee or sandwich either.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:07 PM

136 posts, read 215,247 times
North Yarmouth/Cumberland has some small, cozy neighborhoods.

Freeport if you don't mind the outlets and tourists.

Gorham has a nice small town feel and decent schools.

Portland/Deering center as well.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:54 AM

9 posts, read 11,344 times
In my opinion Portland is not an easy town to just pop in and grab coffee or lunch. There is minimal parking and it is very busy (not Boston busy but busy) I try to avoid it all costs if I am in a hurry. Have you explored Scarborough at all?

Old 11-27-2015, 02:58 PM

1,116 posts, read 451,954 times
Cape Elizabeth is in between Scarborough and Portland. Portland is not that congested as people say and you can find parking, of course you will need to walk some, its a small city but not NYC or Boston. Old Port is where to go if you want to explore.

If you know how to parallel park or use a parking garage you are fine. I couldn't believe how many people couldn't park there.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:42 PM

136 posts, read 215,247 times
Parking has gotten easier, now that the meters accept debit cards.

It is helpful to be good at parallel parking, and to know where to go and where to look. I drive around all day for work and often have to park downtown. You do get used to it.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:00 AM

5,574 posts, read 3,642,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95whipstick View Post
I appreciate the input on Falmouth and the small town community feel at Old Orchard. We are going to explore the area around New Year's. Our winter's here are probably almost as severe as we are up in elevation- what's the difference between three feet and four feet of snow? Yarmouth seems like a real nice area but perhaps a little further from Portland but I am not sure I would want to drive to Portland from Falmouth to grab a cup of coffee or sandwich either.
If you're looking for small town don't go to Old Orchard Beach, it's a tourist town. It's swamped in the summers and a ghost town in the winter.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:09 PM

113 posts, read 62,687 times
We live in Falmouth and love it...5 minutes across the bridge into Portland (with bike lanes on new bridge) and the people are friendly, great schools. Although there is not a traditional town center, work has just been completed on Rt. 1 through Falmouth to add colonial style streetlights, sidewalks and planted medians. Falmouth has great schools, 2 ice arenas, a tennis center, 2 country clubs, miles of nature trails, an Audubon Center, medical center (a branch of Maine Med.), great little shops and restaurants and (like it or not) even a small Walmart. Rt. 88 along Casco Bay is designed with extra-wide shoulders for walking, running and biking. There are lots of activities for all ages through Falmouth Community programs. I am originally from SW Conn. (Westport) and love it here.
Scarborough is another town with great schools and miles of beaches that you might want to consider...lots of young families and activities. Cape Elizabeth is charming and also has great schools but you are at the mercy of the Casco Bay Bridge (a drawbridge) to get to and from Portland. Gorham is another town to check out...good schools, nice town center, college town close to the Mall area although traffic during morning and evening "rush" to and from Portland can be bad. Yarmouth and Freeport are also great communities but just a little farther from Portland. Hope this is helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or