Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 4,450 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! I know a lot of people post things here about wanting to move, but I didn't spot anyone else from Texas, so I thought I would post.

My fiance and I are planning a trip to Portland in May to see the city. We live in Austin, TX, which is huge, but I've always dreamed of living in Portland. <3

So when we visit, what would you recommend we check out to get the best feel for the city? If he loves it, I am going to try to convince him to move there. We are both getting so sick of Texas. Also, I'm a beach lover and SCUBA diver. What's the beach/diving scene like there?

We both work in the printing industry, but have run small businesses before. I have considered opening a food truck here in Austin where the market is huge, but until we decide where we are living, I'm putting it on hiatus. Ideally, we would love to run the food truck during summer and have a restaurant open year-round.

Anyway, I love everything I see about Maine. The safest state, least religious, waay more liberal/progressive than Texas. Schools seem to be MUCH better than in Texas, as far as national rankings go, and we have a young son so that's a huge deal. Texas has some nice places, but I think the crazies here make it hard for me to enjoy. Plus, Austin traffic is HORRIBLE- it can literally take me 30-40 minutes to go less than 10 miles! Oh, and humidity is insane here.

So, I guess I'm just asking for general advice/input about Portland and Maine in general. I can't wait to come visit in May!

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 04:04 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
You have done your homework. A couple of cautions; Maine water is COLD. Seals live here.

You have a child. A couple of years ago, Portland's schools had 38 different languages. There are more now. Why are they all in Portland? Portland thinks it is a great idea to pay them to come to Portland. Liberals love the word "diversity". They worship it. However, with diversity comes bullying and gangs. You might want to live in a nearby town with a less chaotic school system.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the response! Does the water warm up to being "swimmable" during summer?

Diversity doesn't bother me at all. I grew up in a place that was decidedly not diverse and missed out on a lot of experiences and education I had to find for myself as an adult. I've also lived in some of the more "ghetto" places in Houston and Austin, so I figure Portland couldn't be as bad as it is here. I hadn't read anything about gangs in Portland schools... is this genuinely a problem?

Old 12-05-2015, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,467 times
Default Move to Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarita1126 View Post
Hello, all! I know a lot of people post things here about wanting to move, but I didn't spot anyone else from Texas, so I thought I would post.

My fiance and I are planning a trip to Portland in May to see the city. We live in Austin, TX, which is huge, but I've always dreamed of living in Portland. <3

So when we visit, what would you recommend we check out to get the best feel for the city? If he loves it, I am going to try to convince him to move there. We are both getting so sick of Texas. Also, I'm a beach lover and SCUBA diver. What's the beach/diving scene like there?

We both work in the printing industry, but have run small businesses before. I have considered opening a food truck here in Austin where the market is huge, but until we decide where we are living, I'm putting it on hiatus. Ideally, we would love to run the food truck during summer and have a restaurant open year-round.

Anyway, I love everything I see about Maine. The safest state, least religious, waay more liberal/progressive than Texas. Schools seem to be MUCH better than in Texas, as far as national rankings go, and we have a young son so that's a huge deal. Texas has some nice places, but I think the crazies here make it hard for me to enjoy. Plus, Austin traffic is HORRIBLE- it can literally take me 30-40 minutes to go less than 10 miles! Oh, and humidity is insane here.

So, I guess I'm just asking for general advice/input about Portland and Maine in general. I can't wait to come visit in May!

Cheers!

I have lived in Maine most of my life. It's a beautiful state which displays all four seasons. It has quite a few quaint rural towns especially in the northern part of the state. As someone else replied, the water is extremely cold year 'round. The beaches are mostly small but fabulous. Portland is a little congested for my taste as many people have transitioned to the cities. I live in the southern most part of the state in a "beach" town and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:26 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
I have not read anything about interstate gangs in Maine schools. I was referring to cliques of ethnic students who band together for individual safety.

Old Orchard Beach is the biggest beach I know of in Maine. Our neighbors to the north call it the "Quebec Riviera".

Old 12-05-2015, 05:34 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,599 times
Quote:

Cheers!
When you get to Portland I would recommend J's Oyster in the Old Port, The Slice Bar on Congress Street, The Great Lost Bear. and Howie's Pub for a mix of local places. For towns I would recommend a road trip down Rt 1 from Portland to Saco. Scarborough and Saco have the best beach. Old Orchard Beach is a ghost town. Cape Elizabeth is my favorite town next to Portland. My brother is certified Dry Suit and used to go to Rhode Island.

I lived in Maine for fourteen years and moved back to New jersey a couple years ago. Maine is nice but it does not have much for diversity. Some people there think diversity is a liberal term which means you are a liberal and want more ethnic groups to give the country too. I think of diversity as having more than one restaurant or something else to do than go hunting and drink around a campfire every weekend. Hunting is fine but you can have other hobbies.

Growing up in central NJ we went to New York City for class trips. I saw King Tut in first grade on a class trip. Maine kids walked a trail. Which is nice but it doesn't open them up to the world. Hiding in the woods and keeping the world at arms length isn't the way to live. I feel drawn to NYC more now since the tense situation with terrorism. Nothing will keep us from living our lives. These colors don't run.

Boston has a ton of history and can offer a lot. I wouldn't recommend living in the city but Portland has a train to get there now. Portsmouth NH is a great day trip town too. I have also been to Quebec City for a weekend. It is French and feels like old Europe. Just some ideas of what is around since you are coming from a populated area, Portland could get small real fast.

Expect to hear "excuse you" when you are in a public area instead of "excuse me" when someone bumps into you. The state is very pretty but don't let your guard down. There are gangs, Biker Gangs, but they are fine. They are a tough bunch of guys but not violent just for the heck of it.

Maine is generally a good place but people are always out to take advantage where ever you live.

I hope this helps and gives you something to research for your trip.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:35 PM

Thanks so much for all the responses!

I grew up in a town in East Tx that just surpassed 1, 100 residents in the last census. When I graduated, my class was 32 people... living in Austin is much more my speed as far as, like stated before, diversity. There is a lot to do here, so many places to eat and learn. But it's terribly congested and I am so over Texas politics.

I think the one thing I miss about my small east Texas town is that you get the door-holding, excuse me, even people you don't know saying hello or waving as you drive by. But I'm an extremely nice person, so I'm a bit biased XD

Old 12-22-2015, 09:30 PM

17 posts, read 19,341 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response! Does the water warm up to being "swimmable" during summer?
No. The ocean is cold all the time. You can go to one of the lakes for swimmable water -- Sebago is popular, but there are tons of options.

Quote:
Diversity doesn't bother me at all. I grew up in a place that was decidedly not diverse and missed out on a lot of experiences and education I had to find for myself as an adult. I've also lived in some of the more "ghetto" places in Houston and Austin, so I figure Portland couldn't be as bad as it is here. I hadn't read anything about gangs in Portland schools... is this genuinely a problem?
Portland does have its gangs, but I'm sure they're nothing like what you'd find in a major city. Portland High (the downtown one) is more affected by them than Deering High (which is in a more suburban, higher-income neighborhood).

Are you prepared for the big difference in weather? Maine summers are never going to be like Texas ones, and you need to live through a Maine winter to -- er -- appreciate it.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for all the responses!

I grew up in a town in East Tx that just surpassed 1, 100 residents in the last census. When I graduated, my class was 32 people... living in Austin is much more my speed as far as, like stated before, diversity. There is a lot to do here, so many places to eat and learn. But it's terribly congested and I am so over Texas politics.

I think the one thing I miss about my small east Texas town is that you get the door-holding, excuse me, even people you don't know saying hello or waving as you drive by. But I'm an extremely nice person, so I'm a bit biased XD
There's definitely a cultural difference between north and south in how outgoing people are toward strangers. You may think that Mainers are unfriendly, because there won't be nearly as much of that waving as you drive by unless people actually know you. However, you WILL find that if you're ever really in trouble, say with a flat tire on the side of the road, someone will stop before long and offer to help. Mainers may be more reserved than you're used to, but they have good hearts.

Portland of course is a lot smaller than Austin, but it's famous for its restaurants and has a good variety of cultural offerings for its size, and the downtown is very walkable.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post

Expect to hear "excuse you" when you are in a public area instead of "excuse me" when someone bumps into you.
What? I've lived in Maine most of my life and never heard this. If someone bumps into you, they say "Excuse me" in Maine just like anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area