U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 11:30 AM

54 posts, read 134,074 times

Advertisements

I've been researching spots to move our family and we're narrowing it down to several spots where we plan to spend more time this spring before we make a final decision. One of them is the Kennebunk area and we've been several times in the past few months. The only two downsides that we've noticed is potential traffic/crowds during the summer and the somewhat limited real estate options in our price range. Other than that, our experience has been very positive - friendly people, good schools, found a good church, great beaches.

For a remote working, school aged kids, middle class New England family who wants to live in a small town by the beach not far from an airport... what's not to love about this place? Any negatives I haven't factored in from some of you more familiar with life there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 06:21 PM

425 posts, read 387,656 times
I am by no means an expert, having only moved to Maine in 2010, but during the summer, when we have visitors, or in the fall, we always make a trip to Kennebunkport because it is a big tourist destination. It really is packed during tourist season, equivalent to Provincetown, MA. on Cape Cod. That means wall to wall folks on packed streets, no parking etc.

Now, obviously if you had a house, you would have a driveway, garage but if you need to do errands, getting around could be a hassle.

But, the other thing I noticed is in the offseason it is kind of deserted. So many people have homes here as a 2nd home that it was kind of depressing. I guess I mean Kennebunkport, not Kennebunk.

I think if you want all the items you mentioned, you should consider South Portland, Scarborough, Cape Elizabeth. A great mix of folks, all income levels, beautiful beaches, parks, so close to the airport, hospitals, doctors, museum, great schools and all have a wonderful sense of community and are very welcoming. We are 3 miles from Portland and it just very easy living.

Good luck. If you like, trying searching the forum for those towns, there have been a number of threads over the years and you will see lots of input.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:54 AM

54 posts, read 134,074 times
Thanks for the feedback and addl. info. We've lived in college towns quite a bit so the deserted feel is almost welcome and isn't too big of a detraction. That said, I've been in P-town in July and that is a little more vivid example of what to expect and not something I'm too thrilled with. Cape Elizabeth/S. Portalnd/Scarborough are on our list too, although we're keen to be a little further out from Portland. Thanks, again.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:27 PM

9 posts, read 11,397 times
Hi, I am a Realtor and would live to help you relocate! I am very familiar with the So.Portland, Scarborough Cape areas. Kennebunk is a very nice area as well and I have a very good friend who lives there with her family. I would be happy to gather more info for you from her. Send me A private message if you'd like.

Sara

Old 01-20-2016, 05:04 AM

18,360 posts, read 23,537,072 times
I lived in Kennebunkport for two years on ocean ave... near the breakwaters to the Kennebunk river
my sister and uncle graduated from Kennebunk high school

I loved the area,,,have many fond memories... I remember going to Kennebunk beach as a kid and love it,,,even as an adult..

Kennebunk isn't far from Portland,,,old orchard beach ..or new Hampshire,,,,,the white mountains,, not too far from boston

just some traffic in the summer... but the locals know how to get around the high traffic congestion

like most maine coastal towns,,, you can live on or near the water if you can afford it,,,or live a mile or two away and real estate/homes pricing is significantly less...

many many fond memories of the area
I remember in 1986 ,,I was working in Portland and livin in the 'port,,, hurricane Gloria came up the east coast (we don't get many hurricanes) when I got home from work- my sister and I walked out on the breakwater (across from the colony) and it was magnificent,,,the sea was enraged but spectacular ..wind from the remnants of hurricane Gloria was still around 50-70mph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or