Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:27 PM

52 posts, read 52,487 times

Advertisements

My family is considering purchasing a home in Yarmouth, but nearly everything in Yarmouth is in very close proximity to the highway, and of greater concern, train tracks. This proximity to active train tracks concerns me for safety/convenience reasons (though only a few crossings), and especially due to the noise (which is what also bothers me about the highway.) That is a big negative for me. Can anyone share any insight on this? I'd like to live about 5 miles from train tracks, and that seems impossible in Yarmouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 11:09 PM

66 posts, read 101,173 times
Well, I lived in the Yarmouth Woods complex, and the highway noise was constant. I really don't recall hearing the railroad much, though. I think it obviously depends on exactly where you are. My grandparents lived on Burnell Drive, and the highway was only heard very faintly at night. Almost relaxing, honestly. The tracks were closer but again, just a very minor noise quite infrequently.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:06 AM

Thank you very much. My husband is also concerned about the fumes too from diesel etc. There is not a house in Yarmouth (for sale or not) that isn't within 1000 feet of either or both, and a lot that are much closer, but I guess it is better that everyone is the same situation. Most places in America that would be a hit on property values, but apparently not there.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:12 AM

Any talk of removing the tracks and using them as trails, since they are so seldom used? Just having them nearby is worrisome because they could always be put back into service at any time, and that would be dreadful.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:54 AM

319 posts, read 343,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulskies View Post
Any talk of removing the tracks and using them as trails, since they are so seldom used? Just having them nearby is worrisome because they could always be put back into service at any time, and that would be dreadful.

Seems kind of over-involved for someone who does not live there. Sounds like Yarmouth is not a good town for you.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:01 PM

35 posts, read 33,061 times
Default Noise & Fumes

I have an airport that you can move next to, and, after getting settled, you can complain about the noise and jet exhaust...

I would enjoy finding out what you like about "Greater Portland"

Old 08-22-2016, 04:45 PM

I have been looking to purchase a house in Yarmouth, and they are at high premium, so it's reasonable for me to worry about these detractors, not only for my family's comfort, but also as a concern for when I eventually sell. Thousands of miles of railroads around the country have been removed and turned into multi-use recreation trails, so that is a very legitimate question as well.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:47 PM

And, no, of course I wouldn't move near an airport either. It is wise to do due diligence beforehand, I don't know what the problem with that is.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:19 AM

22,847 posts, read 28,076,526 times
Depends on where you are. The town center areas are very noisy with traffic. But west of town it's downright rural. So it depends on where you are. If the house you're looking at is too close to the highways, look elsewhere.

Just be careful. Yarmouth hugs up against outer 'Salem's Lot, and that area can be a bit dicey after dark.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:46 AM

879 posts, read 2,331,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Just be careful. Yarmouth hugs up against outer 'Salem's Lot, and that area can be a bit dicey after dark.
So true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area