Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 01:17 PM

52 posts, read 53,097 times

Advertisements

Newbie, just trying to plan our budget as we buy a home. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 01:51 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulskies View Post
Newbie, just trying to plan our budget as we buy a home. Thank you!
Yes, there are February and April school vacation weeks in the public schools.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:20 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I know a bunch of people who live down South for 6 months and here for 6 months, so they can avoid winter entirely.

A couple years ago we flew out to Waikiki for Christmas thru the New Years. I doubt we will ever repeat that.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:52 PM

536 posts, read 844,941 times
No one I know in Maine takes vacations south in the winter, as for those folks it is a season of less income.

My brother in law puts it best. "Embrace the winter." Look forward to it, enjoy what is enjoyable about it. After all, summer isn't wholly enjoyable either.

The Mainers I know tend not to be people who take "Vacations." They like their lives as they are in Maine.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:27 AM

747 posts, read 839,370 times
Winter in Maine is for skiing, enjoying the towns on the coast without crowds, chopping firewood, and enjoying the peacefulness, for starters.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:15 AM

52 posts, read 53,097 times
Ok, so I do need to plan for a yearly warm weather vacation. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:16 PM

810 posts, read 851,839 times
I am the type of person who take my vacation in Maine in the winter time.

Submariner what did you think of Hawaii? We lucked out a couple years ago and had a nice IRS refund which we used. We did a couple days in Honolulu and then the Big Island. i liked the Big Island much more. The only reason we did Oahu was to go to Pearl Harbor and they had some malfunction so we could not go to the memorial. I was totally bummed. We saw some Macadamia plants one smaller one and the big Manau Loa and some coffee plantations which was really cool.

Stayed at a big resort but if we go again going to look into renting a condo, eating out all the time was expensive. but we found one nice little place that was not expensive. And another place that was a garage converted into a restaurant owned by and old guy who was about 10 at the time of the attack. he was telling how he watched it happen and he was very interesting.

Nice place to visit but as beautiful and tropical as it is I would never want to live there unless I have a cow and some chickens

Old 09-09-2016, 07:02 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
I am the type of person who take my vacation in Maine in the winter time.

Submariner what did you think of Hawaii? We lucked out a couple years ago and had a nice IRS refund which we used. We did a couple days in Honolulu and then the Big Island. i liked the Big Island much more. The only reason we did Oahu was to go to Pearl Harbor and they had some malfunction so we could not go to the memorial. I was totally bummed. We saw some Macadamia plants one smaller one and the big Manau Loa and some coffee plantations which was really cool.

Stayed at a big resort but if we go again going to look into renting a condo, eating out all the time was expensive. but we found one nice little place that was not expensive. And another place that was a garage converted into a restaurant owned by and old guy who was about 10 at the time of the attack. he was telling how he watched it happen and he was very interesting.

Nice place to visit but as beautiful and tropical as it is I would never want to live there unless I have a cow and some chickens
I surfaced there twice during my career, though I have never been stationed there. Both of those times we tied up on Ford Island, next to the USS Utah wreckage. A ferry ran every half-hour to take people between Ford Island and the Pearl Harbor base, it passed by USS Arizona to get over to the main base. There is a very good bus system that does the loop around the island, everything is easily accessible.

It has a huge Asian and Polynesian influence. Much of the travel from that part of the planet gets funneled through Hawaii before moving on to our mainland.

I have had friends who were stationed there.

Going there as a mainland tourist during their primary tourist season was a little different.

Things can be very expensive there. It is interesting to see so many cracked & crumbling sidewalks, concrete buildings that nearly all have cracks in the walls. So on one hand you would say depressed and in need of repairs, yet everything is very high priced.

Going out for the holidays our taxi driver was rattling a lot of statistics about how much of the island's GDP is all earned in a 2-week period of time.

Everyone is working, the hotels are all booked, lots of money is flowing right then.

Fellow servicemembers easily understood that we were from Maine. But Hawaiians had difficulty. In their vocabulary all occidental tourists came from the 'mainland', but where is 'Maine'? The concept that on the mainland is a state called Maine, was a stumbling block.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:17 PM

10 posts, read 53,431 times
So beautifulskies, did you end up buying a home in Yarmouth... or did you opt for another town?

Old 09-20-2016, 03:55 AM

642 posts, read 1,255,970 times
We always go South or Southwest for at least ten days in March. Lots of folks do. We get sick of short days and cold. I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark five days a week. If weekend weather doesn't allow for outdoor activity or driving then winter can seem pretty long and unappealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area