Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 11:29 AM

130 posts, read 191,655 times

Advertisements

I am trying to evaluate if Portland is a good place to move for both the long and short-term. The housing market is very hot right now and there is low unemployment. Do people think these trends are sustainable over the next five to ten years? I also mention threats to the economy like the aging population (curtails labor force) and GOP health plan since a cut back on Medicaid would be particularly hard on Maine with the oldest population in the country. Any and all thoughts! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 06:41 AM

164 posts, read 189,049 times
Might not change a whole lot. Once you get north of Cumberland and York counties good jobs become more and more scarce.
Most of the people buying up the stupid expensive condos being developed in Portland are wealthy people from away buying a second or third summer home.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:17 AM

Thanks Vance Mack - trying to evaluate if Portland growth will continue and if in buying a house now will still see appreciation. And that would depend on demand and continued appeal of area for companies and business growth.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:12 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
" The housing market is very hot right now and there is low unemployment. Do people think these trends are sustainable over the next five to ten years?"

The trends are certainly sustainable for the next four years. It's anybody's guess after that.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:40 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Honestly I think its a really good thing that Portland is growing. Nothing wrong with growth.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:39 PM

Agreed - I was just wondering what is driving the growth and if those factors will continue. I keep reading about the aging population in Maine and how that will constrain growth. As a person who is going to have to work for the next 20 years (and I am in my 50's) - and having a home purchase be my largest investment - I am interested in long-term growth and employment.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:40 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
You need to look closer at the aging demographic. Our population emigrates from Maine at age 25 and the same folks return at age 55. They have children in other states and when the parents become empty nesters they come home. Their children get getter educations for the most part. Test results are available on line for all Maine public school districts. You can find good schools, but it takes work. Don't just roll the dice. When you find bargain homes look at the school district. We left Maine in 1976 and came home in 1983 after my older son graduated from high school. He was #3 in a class of 164. My younger son wanted to join the math team here. The would not let him join because he had not been through the grade 9 and 10 math classes here.

Then he took the PSAT and got the highest math score ever in this school. They let him join the math team. They won the state championship. Both sons went to UMO as engineers. All populations age. The alternative is pretty gloomy. Look at the obits in the daily papers. Many of our elderly live into their 90s and we have a surprising number of centenarians inMaine. They could be the highest proportion in any state, but Portland is not the highest city. That record goes to Chicago where they have numerous voters on the rolls over 110 years old. They show up at the polls too.

If you are looking for economical housing and have no school age kids, look in the Portland area.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:15 PM

Thanks Northern Maine Land Man,

I don't have kids - just two big rescue dogs. I am looking for a place to build a life. The weather is not ideal - but the politics and crime in a lot of the south leaves me cold (pun intended.) At this stage in my life it is about nice people, some culture and activity, employment (vs. a career like I have had) and finding friends. And it would be nice to retire there as well.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:40 AM

375 posts, read 609,669 times
Portland is more economically diverse and stable than most other areas of the state. It's a destination for many young Mainers seeking better opportunities than what their rural hometown offers. It also attracts out-of-staters looking for a kinder, gentler place to work and safely raise a family - or retire.

Cumberland and York counties will continue to grow. Buying reasonably-priced property in a good area of either county should serve you well.

Interesting article in the PPH last year. Comments by local readers add interesting perspective.

Maine's population growth still stagnant, new census numbers show - Portland Press Herald

Old 03-16-2017, 08:50 AM

Thanks so much for the great infor 90077. You hit the nail on the head with "kinder, gentler place" since that is what I am trying to find - and it's hard to ascertain through data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area