Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2017, 07:54 PM

22 posts, read 60,454 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure which thread to put this in since there is not really a "New England" Thread. My husband and I are looking to relocate out of Barre Vermont...we absolutely hate it here for various reasons. Out of these 3 places (Portland Maine, Nashua NH, Burlington VT), which is the best for employment? Crime? Things to do? Cost of Living? Safety in general?

I am an Administrative Assistant so the big concern for me is "Do they pay more than $13/hour at the hospitals"?

Is it easy to find work?

How is public transportation system? (My husband and I share a truck)

Are there any areas to avoid? How safe is it/unsafe?

Thank youuu!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 09:46 AM

133 posts, read 135,515 times
Based on where you live now, what you're looking for and an easier move, I'd recommend Burlington since you're fairly close. Public transportation in Burlington and Portland is good.

Whether it's easy to find work is really a question for you: are you researching all of the online job hunting resources and contacting employment and temp agencies, and the hospitals/companies directly?

AA jobs in healthcare and other sectors are usually plentiful. A good resource for finding out average rates of pay for specific job titles is to search the Glassdoor site. Your starting pay rate would be based on your experience, skills and responsibilities at the company. You want to include benefits as part of the compensation package too.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:42 PM

652 posts, read 749,346 times
I'd reckon Nashua would be best for employment, as it is between Manchester and Lowell, both of which have pretty good employment bases. And Nashua is quite close to the Burlington/Bedford MA area, which is office-park heaven.

You're probably going to have to become a 2-car household in any of these places unless you live right downtown. I can't speak to the quality of the bus networks.

I would imagine the crime ranking would be, from most crime to least, Nashua, Portland, Burlington, but don't quote me on that.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:03 AM

22 posts, read 60,454 times
These are all wonderful places and great locations. I currently work for the State of Vermont so my reasoning for staying here would be to keep my job (good pay and benefits). Other then that I find Burlington sort of, well, boring. You can only go to Church St. so many times and the malls are average at best...same with the restaurants. This is just my opinion. Some people really love Burlington and would never want to leave.

Nashua- Looks like a lot of great job opportunities, restaurants, close to everything. I am a little nervous of the crime being so close to Manchester.

Portland- I really love the Portland ambiance/vibe. Lots of little shops, restaurants, and small town feel (in some areas). What worries me is job pay and cost of living. I have noticed a lot of homeless on the streets. It could be they struggle with mental illness, drugs, or other circumstances but noticed a lot of young homeless people.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:12 PM

461 posts, read 554,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
I'd reckon Nashua would be best for employment, as it is between Manchester and Lowell, both of which have pretty good employment bases. And Nashua is quite close to the Burlington/Bedford MA area, which is office-park heaven.

You're probably going to have to become a 2-car household in any of these places unless you live right downtown. I can't speak to the quality of the bus networks.

I would imagine the crime ranking would be, from most crime to least, Nashua, Portland, Burlington, but don't quote me on that.
Last I checked, Lowell did not have a very good employment base. Manchester I'd say has more than Lowell though in that department. Manchesters economy seemed to be poor when this country was doing better, but now that a lot is looking bad, its one of the areas that more than likely is looking up. Lowell though, has always struggled in my eyes, now and then. Maybe its not Johnstown Pennsylvania but it has nonetheless. Burlington I would put as the major job center in MA that isn't Boston that's closer to Nashua, Burlington does have more. That's a fact. Maybe other towns like Reading too or Andover depending where you look but not Lowell or Lawrence.

Personally my pick out of these 3 would be Nashua. Burlington VT probably too expensive and gets further from this area but they are near Plattsburgh too and Montreal. That's what I call the great north for sure. Nashua/NH feels like the great north, but that even more so. That's the greater north and same for Portland area I'd say too. I wouldn't pick Portland though myself. Maybe if I could retire and move up with saved money not intending to work I'd do it.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:17 PM

461 posts, read 554,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeanie View Post
These are all wonderful places and great locations. I currently work for the State of Vermont so my reasoning for staying here would be to keep my job (good pay and benefits). Other then that I find Burlington sort of, well, boring. You can only go to Church St. so many times and the malls are average at best...same with the restaurants. This is just my opinion. Some people really love Burlington and would never want to leave.

Nashua- Looks like a lot of great job opportunities, restaurants, close to everything. I am a little nervous of the crime being so close to Manchester.

Portland- I really love the Portland ambiance/vibe. Lots of little shops, restaurants, and small town feel (in some areas). What worries me is job pay and cost of living. I have noticed a lot of homeless on the streets. It could be they struggle with mental illness, drugs, or other circumstances but noticed a lot of young homeless people.
True but I'd worry more about Lowell being closer. You got places in the neighboring states with good accessibility to Nashua also. It did stand the test of time though. LOTS of Nashua is still safe in my eyes. Out toward Hollis has always struck me as a good part, the near downtown areas also maybe left of the rotary past Daniel Webster highway. Inner downtown, its safer than some areas although others think not, better than Lowell anywhere if you want my opinion, although some may disagree.

But yea all in all, its not just Manchester to be worried about near Nashua. Again Manchester is another city I see as nicer than Lowell too.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:26 PM

652 posts, read 749,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeanie View Post
This quote confuses me me a little. Overall I would say Nashua itself is sketchier than Manchester, and there are some very nice suburb towns that are closer to Manchester than Nashua. Londonderry, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area