Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 08:32 PM

80 posts, read 122,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
That nothing is open 24/7 out here! I definitely miss being able to run to Meijer at like 2 or 3 AM if I want/need to. Everything pretty much closes by 11 PM (I think WalMart is open til midnight) on the weekdays and lots of things close super early on Sundays for some reason (like 6 PM). It's strange.
For Maine the open until 6pm on Sunday is pretty good - things like that come around slow in these parts. The blue laws preventing department stores over a certain size from opening on Sundays did not end in Maine until, what, the 1990s. I remember when I went out of state for college things being open on Sunday was weird feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 11:37 AM

14 posts, read 24,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Walking around downtown has a feel that is similar to the downtown where my family lives in the Nashville burbs - town of Franklin, both of which are very pleasant to me anyways. If you elect to build a house in Brunswick the only suggestions I'd make are to make it energy efficient to keep out the winter chill and hold down heating bills, use some big south-facing windows to let in that winter sun, and add an attached garage to make dealing with snowstorms easier.

That is actually where we live now! We love the the downtown of Franklin and it was one of the main reasons we moved here. Unfortunately, in the last 5 years the traffic is so bad it has become too stressful to enjoy it.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:39 AM

14 posts, read 24,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
That nothing is open 24/7 out here! I definitely miss being able to run to Meijer at like 2 or 3 AM if I want/need to. Everything pretty much closes by 11 PM (I think WalMart is open til midnight) on the weekdays and lots of things close super early on Sundays for some reason (like 6 PM). It's strange.
Good to know!!! I am from Alabama and that is all very common there. We call them blue laws. But I have gotten use to always having something open. Not deal breaker but something to prepare for.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:53 PM

12,414 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahsham View Post
That is actually where we live now! We love the the downtown of Franklin and it was one of the main reasons we moved here. Unfortunately, in the last 5 years the traffic is so bad it has become too stressful to enjoy it.
Yep, I've only visited, but Franklin seems like a very nice town, and I like all the old houses and shop buildings right downtown, which remind me of things up in New England. The summer heat would be too much for me I think, but you trade off difficult summers down there for the mild winters. Up here we have difficult winters and mild summers :-). I think you'll find a lot to like in Brunswick, should take in some other spots too, but it's good if that's on your list.

The following post has some pics I took when stopping off in Brunswick on my way further up the coast last August:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/52908386-post4475.html

Old 04-07-2019, 12:25 PM

11 posts, read 14,394 times
Quote:
Good to know!!! I am from Alabama and that is all very common there. We call them blue laws. But I have gotten use to always having something open. Not deal breaker but something to prepare for.
Yeasham, I actually know of your area & AL (my company has offices in both locations). While I'm sure we don't have nearly the traffic you guys do, we're not immune to it, either. In the summer, there can be some through the main drags (especially 295 & RT 1) due to the tourists, or if there's any kind of special event, accident, or even someone pulled over by the police - just wanted you to be aware of these. Also, like myself and a couple others stated, I would strongly urge you to look at the tax increases you will incur here (especially the income & vehicle excise) and do out the math. Also, I'm not sure if you'll be able to keep your current salary (I assume you will as is usually the case when transferring), but if not, for some strange reason (given the higher COL/taxes here) salaries are on the lower end here. And, god-forbid, if you ever had to find another job around here, it may take you a while (depending on your field & other factors, of course) - we have one of the weakest economies in the country (due to...again...high [business] taxes).

Old 09-14-2019, 11:31 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,121 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone!!

Yes, we will have jobs lined up before making the move. Our options are Portland, ME, Denver, CO, or Seattle, WA. Of the three Maine's COL (and traffic) is the best.
I would def choose Maine over the other two. In fact, I would not consider the other two, especially Seattle.
Good luck.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:07 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
Making friends is the same everywhere. You have to join some organization, like Submariner did, and we did, and then throw yourself into it.

We’ve found several; each has brought a few friends, but the one with the most has been the Unitarian Universalist Church we joined just a year ago when it became apparent that our Quaker Meeting was dying(literally, as in very old members all dying).

We have found the healthcare fine, of course, we are on the Golden Parachute with a supplemental. We have a fine local hospital and easy availability the the major hospital in Bangor. I know some people who go to Boston, but I would only go there if I was referred from the Maine Medial Center. Of course, I avoid doctors like the plague since they give me hypertension.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,235 times
I'm from Chicago and I feel like I stepped into the 80's here. Maine is not for me. Leaving asap. No internet, poor medical care and lack of care to improve living conditions and step into 2019... Too many old people. Depressing and did I say it's EXPENSIVE to live here.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:18 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbea View Post
I'm from Chicago and I feel like I stepped into the 80's here. Maine is not for me. Leaving asap. No internet, poor medical care and lack of care to improve living conditions and step into 2019... Too many old people. Depressing and did I say it's EXPENSIVE to live here.
Maine is the oldest state with the highest average age and the highest percentage of retirees.

As for being expensive, I would assume that you are in Portland.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:23 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbea View Post
Adios. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area