Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 10:30 AM

234 posts, read 357,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRicantraveler View Post
I had lived in Portland,Maine from '12 till August '18. My studio apartment was at $925/mo (only h/w was included). To live comfortably you would be spending around $1,300 to $1,500 a month. The job market is not very stable. Plus, they have a craze for the food "scene". So, you could adapt into the culinary lifestyle but the jobs are not rewarding as for the wage an hour, well, let's just say men are still paid more than women. The universities are great in education, no doubt. The employment is an issue when young and ambitious to level-up. I had three jobs trying to live a normal lifestyle in Portland, Maine. After those years of strain, decided it was time to move on to something better. Nowadays, everyone has roommates and landing a full-time job is scarce, especially if you don't know people within the company. There is an old say: It is not what you know, it is WHO you know. And, the winters are harsh... Three months of spring/summer. Employment agencies such as Adecco, Robert Half, and Bonney Staffing are tremendously picky towards the 'bestest' clients. So, competition in all of those are difficult and the employees with the important titles will not help boast up your work ethic without years and years of work experience. Maine is a state for ski-lovers alike and tourist, but to live as a young individual will be challenging.
I've lived in Portland for about 10 years but have lived in Maine my entire life. I've found the job market here to be quite stable, at least in the technology sector. I don't doubt that it's hard to make a living in the service industry, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 09:13 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,855,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Google "Cost of Living Calculator" and you'll find several sites that can give you better official stats than I can. But in short ...

No, Portland is not NEARLY as expensive as DC, or even Boston. But it is substantially more expensive than it was 15 years ago and is the most expensive metro area in Maine.

I had a realtor tell me once (only half joking) that for every mile you go north of Portland, home prices drop by $1,000 and rent by $25. That's a very broad statement and there are exceptions, but the basic premise holds true: It's cheaper to live outside of Portland than in it. I know lots of people who live in Falmouth, Yarmouth, Brunswick, Bath, etc. who commute into Portland.
Unfortunately, when minimum wage increases, costs of living such as menu items at restaurants, grocery store items, housing rentals etc also increase. Check out these new "luxury" apartments in Ellsworth (considerably north of Portland). ... wouldn't be too bad for two or three roommates https://maine.craigslist.org/apa/d/e...074561480.html

Old 03-08-2020, 11:53 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,854,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Unfortunately, when minimum wage increases, costs of living such as menu items at restaurants, grocery store items, housing rentals etc also increase. Check out these new "luxury" apartments in Ellsworth (considerably north of Portland). ... wouldn't be too bad for two or three roommates https://maine.craigslist.org/apa/d/e...074561480.html
Yeah, but they ARE “right across from the waterslide park”, as the ad says!! (In fact, it’s the first thing that’s mentioned). Absolutely hilarious.......

Old 03-08-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Yeah, but they ARE “right across from the waterslide park”, as the ad says!! (In fact, it’s the first thing that’s mentioned). Absolutely hilarious.......
I do love a sense of humor... I'm pretty sure the reason the water park is mentioned is because it's right out in plain sight and the apartments are hidden in the woods. Lol... of course maybe some would rent there just to be close to the water park and they should be happy to know that season passes are for sale right now and looks like they are accepting job applications. Wild Acadia – Bar Harbor's BEST Fun Park! PS The water park is not in Bar Harbor.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I do love a sense of humor... I'm pretty sure the reason the water park is mentioned is because it's right out in plain sight and the apartments are hidden in the woods. Lol... of course maybe some would rent there just to be close to the water park and they should be happy to know that season passes are for sale right now and looks like they are accepting job applications. Wild Acadia – Bar Harbor's BEST Fun Park! PS The water park is not in Bar Harbor.
Update--waterpark is closed for the 2020 season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area