Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 05:29 PM

307 posts, read 1,589,089 times

Advertisements

As we get closer to our move to Maine I am wondering about dance opportunities for my sons. My 11 yr old tap dances, and my 8 yr old does ballet, tap, modern, acrobatics, acting and voice. He's getting into Irish as well. He is very devoted as you can tell. He also is able to get a full scholarship for all his performing arts here in North Carolina. We are hoping to find a very comparable situation for him in the Greater Portland area.
Any one out there have advice or warnings for places?
What's the level of professional dance and theatre available to aspire to?
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 05:37 PM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times
Hey Moxie

On main street in Gorham there is a "school of dance and performing arts. I don't know anything about it but it seems to be more than just a dance studio. I don't know if it is what you're looking for or if it is at his level etc.
The following are some of the Google references.
Centre of Movement School of Performing Arts Located Rte 25 Gorham and Limington ... School of Performing Arts and Dance Studio with two locations in ...
www.centreofmovement.com/ - 64k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

As well, the Centre offers instruction in Ballroom Dance and African Drumming. ... Centre of Movement School of Performing Arts Located Rte 25 Gorham and ...
www.centreofmovement.com/body/indexbody3.htm - 26k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Instructors at Dance Studio of Maine - Gorham, Maine

Betsy Nygren - (Creative Movement, Combo, & Beginner Jazz). Betsy started dancing in 1973 at the age of 3, at the Virginia Dorr School of Dance, ...
www.dancestudioofmaine.com/Instructors.htm - 29k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Dance Studio of Maine - Gorham, Maine

Tuff Guys-This class incorporates dance and what makes boys boys. Join us for a class especially for boys to learn movement, tumbling, music and drama. ...
www.dancestudioofmaine.com/SummerSchedule.htm - 40k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
More results from www.dancestudioofmaine.com »

Old 05-09-2008, 06:39 PM

Default Cool boys dance

thanks Elston. I just know you are routing for me to move to Gorham! Some of those do look good.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:09 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,111 times
Hi Mox,

Trish Moulton, the Director at the Dance Studio of Maine, is the past president of the Gorham Business & Civic Exchange, of which I am a member. I'd be happy to connect you two.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:35 PM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times
Thumbs up Whatch routing for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
thanks Elston. I just know you are routing for me to move to Gorham! Some of those do look good.
I am routin' tootin' for you to find your Maine community; I have no vested interest in where that may be. I love it right where I am.....and since we take so much "baloney" and are subject to the spew of so much ignorance from so many up north....I choose to be a booster of my home area.

But what is important is that (to quote the Shaker hymn) "when you find yourself in the place just right....it will be in the valley of love and delight." That could be the county, or down in Eastport or Augusta or Waterville or Dexter or Sanford, York or the Berwicks....they are all just another facet of the jewel of Maine.

Blessed be and may it be so!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,462,812 times
Moxie, Maine Ballroom on Forest Ave in Portland used to run some really nice classes for kids. DH and I used to dance there every Sunday night. We saw some great kids classes going on when we arrived. Pls check them out and good luck!

Northern Maine / Southern Maine - we are all united.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am routin' tootin' for you to find your Maine community; I have no vested interest in where that may be. I love it right where I am.....and since we take so much "baloney" and are subject to the spew of so much ignorance from so many up north....I choose to be a booster of my home area.

But what is important is that (to quote the Shaker hymn) "when you find yourself in the place just right....it will be in the valley of love and delight." That could be the county, or down in Eastport or Augusta or Waterville or Dexter or Sanford, York or the Berwicks....they are all just another facet of the jewel of Maine.

Blessed be and may it be so!
You know I am teasing you, but seriously, your endorsement along with others has Gorham towards the top of the list! I'd love it if my fairy god mother would swoop down and make a decision for me. There are too many great places to choose from!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:48 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,380,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
You know I am teasing you, but seriously, your endorsement along with others has Gorham towards the top of the list! I'd love it if my fairy god mother would swoop down and make a decision for me. There are too many great places to choose from!
Any one of them would be lucky to have you.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:08 PM

Default Maine State Ballet? Portland Ballet?

Anyone have any experience with either of these companies?

Old 05-13-2008, 06:41 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,332 times
I took my 4yo DD to see "The Secret Garden" at the City Theater in Biddeford this past weekend. It was a wonderfully done production and the children in it were great. I noticed that they have classes for kids and I'd bet they are good.

By the way, my daughter was enchanted by the musical. I think I created a life long musical theater buff. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area