Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 07:20 AM

23 posts, read 30,008 times

Advertisements

Taking a trip to New England soon. We have a reservation at an Airbnb in Back Cove (near the Back Cove Loop) After booking I read some reviews online saying this area has issues with drugs and a homeless population, then others say it's a quiet, more affluent part of the town. So I'm confused. Does anybody live in the area that give a little more info on Back Cove?

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 08:54 AM

900 posts, read 683,306 times
I don't live there but drive in down town Portland a lot and would say drugs and homeless population are a problem throughout the city, including Back Cove.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
I don't live there but drive in down town Portland a lot and would say drugs and homeless population are a problem throughout the city, including Back Cove.
Moreso than any other city? I had done a lot of research on Portland (and been there several times in the past) and hadn't heard of these being issues.

Overall it seems to be rated and viewed as a very safe city. Want to make sure we feel comfortable there.

Last edited by yellowanchor; 04-27-2021 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-28-2021, 02:34 PM

Does anybody have any more clarification on this? Anybody on the forum live in Back Cove? Thanks

Old 04-28-2021, 08:25 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times
Back Cove is the area north of 295 around Back Cove. All decent houses and whatnot. I believe what you are reading refers to East Bayside which is south of 295 on the peninsula. The homelessness is much more visible there, but that area is up and coming. You will probably find yourself in East Bayside during your visit if you plan on checking out any breweries, or small restaurants.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:41 PM

158 posts, read 144,213 times
I am very familiar with Portland. I love the Back Cove neighborhood. You are right by the water with a beautiful walking trail. It’s a great area. Yes there will probably be homeless but that will be in any neighborhood in Portland as it’s a city problem, not a neighborhood one. Lots of homeless in the upscale Old Port neighborhood last time I was there. Just don’t make eye contact and keep walking. You should be fine. Despite the homeless problem Portland is still one of my favorite US cities.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:55 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
We have friends in Gray and frequent Portland often.
We have never had a problem any time of day. You will be fine.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:39 AM

Thanks so much for the input guys!

Old 04-30-2021, 10:00 AM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
I visit Portland from time to time, and yes, I've certainly noticed homeless and/or intoxicated people on the street. But, it's a city, and such issues are common in cities. Heck, I am not up to date on the opioid epidemic but I think in the past decade that's become an issue even in small towns. If you are comfortable in cities generally, I wouldn't have any special concerns about Portland. It's not the biggest city, but the smaller size makes it more manageable, and it is dynamic, with a great waterfront, with some nice public spaces, interesting eats and arts, lots of interesting older homes. Nearby Cape Elizabeth (Portland Light, Two Lights State Park, Crescent Beach) and Brunswick (esp the area around Park Row, Maine St, Bowdoin College and its art museum) are also nice to check out if you have extra time.

Old 05-01-2021, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the help everybody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area