U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:46 AM

10 posts, read 31,572 times
USM enrollment is up, but they have spent a lot of money on building.... I think that's the main issue. However, the new president has pretty much said that the building is going to stop.

As far as the comment on the quality of the desks and whatnot.... it's true.... USM does not have fancy desks and parts of it does look like it came right out of the 60's and 70's, but who really cares. The professors are amazing and the quality of the education for the price makes it worth sitting in crappy desks and in buildings straight out of the 70's.

The east end and west end seem to be the most expensive areas of Portland. I live on the east end, because I love the area. I can look out of my window and see the ocean and the eastern prom is like having a huge backyard. My apartment is still under 800 with H and HW included... it's tiny though.

Parkside (Deering oaks) is a cheap area and it is very close to the school. I used to have an apartment that was $100 cheaper and twice as big when I lived in Parkside. However it is a lot louder and not as nice as living on the East or West end. The ambulance route goes through parkside, so you can expect to hear sirens at least 3 or 4 times a day.... loud sirens. The downtown area can also be cheap, but usually no offstreet parking, which has always prevented me from wanting to live in the downtown area. You can buy a parking spot in a local lot if you find a downtown apartment that you like.

Check out "Port Property Management". They have tons of apartments. I currently rent from them. They are really good about maintenance issues.
Port Property Management | Apartment Rentals in the Portland Maine area

You could also check out the Portland Press Herald website for apartment rentals.
Real Estate in MaineToday.com

I have never rented form this company, but have always liked their buildings (from the outside).
Portland Apartments - Maine

As far as distance from the law school, keep in mind... as long as you live on the east end, west end, downtown, parkside, and USM/Woodfords neighborhood.... you will never be more than 3 miles away from the campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 05:18 PM

10 posts, read 13,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar1027 View Post
USM enrollment is up, but they have spent a lot of money on building.... I think that's the main issue. However, the new president has pretty much said that the building is going to stop.

As far as the comment on the quality of the desks and whatnot.... it's true.... USM does not have fancy desks and parts of it does look like it came right out of the 60's and 70's, but who really cares. The professors are amazing and the quality of the education for the price makes it worth sitting in crappy desks and in buildings straight out of the 70's.

The east end and west end seem to be the most expensive areas of Portland. I live on the east end, because I love the area. I can look out of my window and see the ocean and the eastern prom is like having a huge backyard. My apartment is still under 800 with H and HW included... it's tiny though.

Parkside (Deering oaks) is a cheap area and it is very close to the school. I used to have an apartment that was $100 cheaper and twice as big when I lived in Parkside. However it is a lot louder and not as nice as living on the East or West end. The ambulance route goes through parkside, so you can expect to hear sirens at least 3 or 4 times a day.... loud sirens. The downtown area can also be cheap, but usually no offstreet parking, which has always prevented me from wanting to live in the downtown area. You can buy a parking spot in a local lot if you find a downtown apartment that you like.

Check out "Port Property Management". They have tons of apartments. I currently rent from them. They are really good about maintenance issues.
Port Property Management | Apartment Rentals in the Portland Maine area

You could also check out the Portland Press Herald website for apartment rentals.
Real Estate in MaineToday.com

I have never rented form this company, but have always liked their buildings (from the outside).
Portland Apartments - Maine

As far as distance from the law school, keep in mind... as long as you live on the east end, west end, downtown, parkside, and USM/Woodfords neighborhood.... you will never be more than 3 miles away from the campus.
I will check out the websites and see what I can find. I really enjoy city life, especially since I have never lived outside of the city limits. This view might be a little close-minded, but I do not think I could hack country living.

I'm not sure I will like a 60's - 70's inspired school; however, I am more concerned with the level of education. If the university is financially inept, then my concerns about the level of education are called into question once again. I am ready for a change and more than willing to uproot myself from a place that I have lived in for the last 22 years, but it must be under the right conditions.

I am trying to arrange a trip to Portland in the next two months, so hopefully I can see the campus for myself before I get too deep into the application process.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:41 PM

874 posts, read 1,150,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klhaston View Post
I will check out the websites and see what I can find. I really enjoy city life, especially since I have never lived outside of the city limits. This view might be a little close-minded, but I do not think I could hack country living.

I'm not sure I will like a 60's - 70's inspired school; however, I am more concerned with the level of education. If the university is financially inept, then my concerns about the level of education are called into question once again. I am ready for a change and more than willing to uproot myself from a place that I have lived in for the last 22 years, but it must be under the right conditions.

I am trying to arrange a trip to Portland in the next two months, so hopefully I can see the campus for myself before I get too deep into the application process.
I know that taking trips like that can be difficult financially at your age and that with the gas prices it is probably even harder. I read recently about a website called Couchsurfing.com. It looks like a more personal take on the Youth Hostel thing and a pretty adventurous thing to do. I looked at the site after reading about it and there are some couches listed in Portland. Given that most of the people using the site are in their 20's you may even find some new friends before you move.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:50 AM

10 posts, read 31,572 times
Well, I can't say enough about the quality of education at USM, but you should def. check it out.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:12 AM

7,223 posts, read 13,488,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klhaston View Post
The architecture of the school pre-dates the 60's and portions of it are pretty cool looking (in my opinion). Some classrooms do seem ancient, especially since they lack air conditioning or central air. However, there are some 'new' buildings and classrooms, just not all.

The quality of education in reality is a personal opinion. Some students love USM, others wish that they had gone somewhere else. That should not be the ruler to measure what kind of education you will receive since you will hear such comments about any college and as I said in the first sentence of this paragraph, it is an opinion.

The financial situation at USM has caused a few teachers to leave (including some of the more popular ones), and I know that half of the history courses listed in the catalog are not offered (and no real idea if/when they ever will be) due to a lack of teachers.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:58 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,871,772 times
I think you will enjoy USM, klhaston!

I worked there back in the late '80s and early 90's. Great colleagues, great campus, eager students and a dedicated administration. A public University with a small private school feel!

I also know that the city of Portland has quite a large number of lawyers in relationship to a city of its size. Perhaps you will have better opportunities for internships and mentoring.

Do not let people scare you about crime and winter weather. Best of luck to you!

Old 06-11-2008, 10:37 AM

7,223 posts, read 13,488,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post

Do not let people scare you about crime and winter weather. Best of luck to you!
I am not trying to scare anyone, just being realistic. You will not get gunned down in a gang battle and the chances of you coming home to find you television missing is fairly slim, however it does not mean that this city is crime free by any means. I find absolutely appalling that so many Mainers want to turn a blind eye to such things. I live on Grant St.; tell me that there is no crime.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:22 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,871,772 times
True, Grant Street is not where I would necessarily direct all new transplants.

Just keep your ears and eyes and stay safe K-luv!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:23 PM

65 posts, read 100,309 times
portland is a great place, but you are moving from a big city to a very small one. Also most people in Portland grew up there - or at least moved there from even quieter parts of maine. There's only a limited flow of new people from other cities.

I love portland but you won't find all the big city amenities or attitudes you're used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area