Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:22 PM

10 posts, read 19,046 times

Advertisements

I am a native Texan born and raised; however, I am considering attending
the University of Maine School of Law in Portland. I am looking for change and I am tired of the tornados. Texas is not all that big on environmental law so that is my reason for considering the move to Maine. Will the change in location be a HUGE shock or is life in Maine as easy going as it is in Texas? The only problems I forsee is the snow...I am in desperate need of guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 04:40 PM

222 posts, read 529,721 times
Default Former Austinite

Hi-
I left Austin, Texas after getting my masters at UT Austin and have never looked back. No more 100 + degree days, humidity that leaves you drained, mosquitoes that kept me a prisoner inside, or traffic and crime that left me afraid. BUT it is different here-Portland not so much. Portland is like Austin was 15 years ago-funky, fun, and not so crowded YET. It is a fun city and one with everything you are used to. Me, I moved WAY north and east-up near Canada to have a real change. The snow is not as bad as you would think and I actually loved it-and they said that this year was one of the worst on record. So, I'd say go for it! Portland is a great city and Boston is only an hour away.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:52 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Where about in the DFW metroplex area are you? If someplace small like Crandall, Seagoville, Kaufman and the like, it is going to be somewhat of a big change. Waxahachie, Denton and that size city, a bit less for city size, but still a big change. Now Arlington, Mesquite, Grand Prairie, and larger, you are going to think you were dropped into Hooterville itself in Portland.

No matter where you land in the Portland, Maine area it is going to be a HUGE change for you when it comes to climate. Snow really isn't that big of a deal. I know how it works in the DFW area, if there is snow in the air, places start to close and people start freaking out about what they are going to do when they are snowed in for days on end. Doesn't happen here in Maine. You will soon learn that driving is just a matter of slowing down and looking ahead. Get out and "play" in a parking lot without light poles and you will be in fine shape after a time or two.

Honestly, you are going to freeze the first winter. Don't care how many jackets you wear, you are going to be cold and wonder if you lost your ever-loving mind to move to such a place. How do I know? After living in the Seagoville area a few years this ol' Yankee darn near froze to death the first year back in the North. It isn't really so bad, and the Summers MORE than make up for the cold and snow. You never feel like you cannot go outside because it is too hot, and the green is beyond description. A few minutes along the coast is enough to hook you for life, and the people when you get to know them are warm and genuinely friendly. Come up, take a look around, fall in love with the place.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:55 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Maine has a relatively simple concealed weapons law. You can carry nearly anywhere except in federal buildings and in bars. Portland used to have a police chief that loved to hassle freedom loving Mainers, but he's gone now.

Of course, if you want to study environmental law that probably won't interest you. Here's one that will. The ideal car is a compact 4WD. I recommend the Subaru Forester if you are tall. If you are 5' 8" or under the Subaru Outback will suffice. If you need a low cost vehicle buy a used Subaru down there where there is no salt on the roads. It will last longer.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:18 PM

WOW...I am amazed at the responses already. I am from Fort Worth and a recent graduate of Texas Christian University. Unfortunately, I am not tall. I cannot even reach the cabinets in my own home because I'm only 5'2. I recently bought a toyota prius. Will that kind of a car work in Portland?

Old 05-15-2008, 05:36 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Any vehicle will work any place in the entire state of Maine. I had a Geo Metro Convertible I drove all the time, including the this winter when we got just under 200" of snow.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:32 PM

Since I have this feed going I was also wondering if someone could describe the University of Maine School of law campus to me. I live in Texas; therefore, a trip to the campus will take some planning. Also, are there an abundance of available apartments for rent?

Old 05-16-2008, 10:37 AM

9 posts, read 17,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMathTCHER View Post
Hi-
I left Austin, Texas after getting my masters at UT Austin and have never looked back. No more 100 + degree days, humidity that leaves you drained, mosquitoes that kept me a prisoner inside, or traffic and crime that left me afraid. BUT it is different here-Portland not so much. Portland is like Austin was 15 years ago-funky, fun, and not so crowded YET. It is a fun city and one with everything you are used to. Me, I moved WAY north and east-up near Canada to have a real change. The snow is not as bad as you would think and I actually loved it-and they said that this year was one of the worst on record. So, I'd say go for it! Portland is a great city and Boston is only an hour away.

Hi MineMathTCHER,
My wife and I currently live in DEEP South texas... on the border by the sea. We are currently debating on whether to move to Austin or Portland area. We just sense that it is God's time for us to leave. It's funny reading all these different threads, when people talk about moving from Austin, they talk about how it was a good decision. When people talk about Maine... they just love it. When they move away, they say it was the worst decision they ever made.

My queston is... what to you know about the healthcare system up in Maine? I am a doctor who wants to open up a multispecialty practice in the greater portland area. I have been hearing about how maine is dominated by the maine medical center. Do you know if a doctor can open up a practice or do you have to join the maine medical center? I know the texas laws but I am having a tough time getting solid info about Maine laws.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Klhaston- Hope to see a fellow texan up north soon.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:53 AM

10 posts, read 45,675 times
Portland is an awesome city.

I don't know much about the law program at USM, but USM itself is a great school. I just graduates with a BA degree. I used to go to a private college, which was much, much more expensive, but the quality of teaching at USM is far better.

The law building is right near the undergraduate campus. USM is very much a commuter school, though there are people who live on campus, so the campus itself isn't very fancy. There is a quad, library, areas to eat, etc.... it isn't shabby, but it is different than some schools that have much more of a campus.

There are plenty of apartments in Portland. I would say that rent is a little high here, concerning most people's income levels, but it is still do-able. You might be able to find another law student that would rent with you to make it a little more affordable... there are always people looking for roommates. A 1br is usually from 650-850 depending upon size and location... many have heat included, which is a good thing to look for (I will only rent where heat is included). USM is also building new apartments, so you might be able to live in a USM owned building.

Again, Portland is a great, progressive, small city and USM is a wonderful school.
Go for it!

Ps. Winters aren't that bad. We had quite a bit of snow in Portland this year. All you need is a good winter coat and a pair of snow tires and you will be fine. Who doesn't like class being canceled on occasion for snowdays?

Old 05-18-2008, 04:11 PM

Thanks jstar1027!
People keep telling me that Portland is an expensive city, but what are they comparing it to? I pay over $700 for my 1br apartment in Fort Worth and it does not include utilities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area