Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 08:56 PM

9 posts, read 69,102 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

Is Portland, Maine a liveable small city? In other words, suppose I didn't have a car or wanted to sell my car prior to relocating, would it be possible to carry out all of my daily errands and such (grocery shopping, for instance) within the city?

I asked someone this question recently (at my job) and she said, 'no' without going into too much detail. Just simply saying, it's better to have a car.

Is it common for most Portland residents to have cars?

What are your thoughts, experiences, or observations on this?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 09:19 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookw0rm View Post
Hi all.

Is Portland, Maine a liveable small city? In other words, suppose I didn't have a car or wanted to sell my car prior to relocating, would it be possible to carry out all of my daily errands and such (grocery shopping, for instance) within the city?

I asked someone this question recently (at my job) and she said, 'no' without going into too much detail. Just simply saying, it's better to have a car.

Is it common for most Portland residents to have cars?

What are your thoughts, experiences, or observations on this?

Thank you!
It's common for pretty much every American to think that you need a car no matter what city you live in. I, on the other hand do not agree with that sentiment. I am also the kind of guy who will ride a bike year round-yes, even through the cold and snow (I don't like rain, though). I realize that others are not as hardcore as I am, but that is okay.

So, in my opinion, yes it is.

The city of Portland itself is really small and chances are that it will take you less then a half an hour to walk to any destination from where ever you are.

However, there are a few things that might make you want a car; Snow tends to pile up-both naturally and with the help of snow plows-covering sidewalks and generally making it difficult to navigate. But most people tend to walk down the street-litterally anyways as the street is generally less icy then the sidewalks (and a lot of people don't bother to shovel), so this should not be a problem.

And, going to Target would be a pain as there is no direct bus service to it so you would have to walk to it from the mall--which would be about a mile or so.

Parking is the pits when a parking ban is declared for the snow emergencies--resulting in a city-wide parking ban on all streets (there are a few lots around town, but they fill up fast), this alone should be reason enough NOT TO own a car.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
It's common for pretty much every American to think that you need a car no matter what city you live in.
Too true.

Hm.

I get the sense that Portland might not be best place for me to relocate-- when I think of 'city living' (even on a small scale), it doesn't include treks to Target or a mall. I was hoping that Portland's downtown would have all things available-- so that I wouldn't feel the need to go beyond city limits.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookw0rm View Post
Too true.

Hm.

I get the sense that Portland might not be best place for me to relocate-- when I think of 'city living' (even on a small scale), it doesn't include treks to Target or a mall. I was hoping that Portland's downtown would have all things available-- so that I wouldn't feel the need to go beyond city limits.
Portland has everything that you would need right within itself. What I was saying is that if you wanted to go to Target, it would be a pain in the behind if you didn't have a car.

You need to understand something, Portland is probably the last city of it's size that is not completely inundated by big box stores and strip malls. There is a mall, and Target and Home Depot and Lowe's and Walmart out in the boonies, but Portland is heavy handed when it comes to buying local. There are some pretty tough laws regarding chain stores here and most locals wouldn't want to shop at them anyways (except Dunkin' Donuts).

So, just to make things clear, all the live music, restaurants, bars, book stores, museums, library, banks, cafes, retail shops, theaters and any other form of entertainment or just plain living are all within a half hour or less walking distance. 95% of these shops are independent to boot.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,083 times
We moved here specifically so my visually impaired husband could get around on his own. While I rely heavily on our car, it is laziness mostly, and having a toddler and pre-schooler to cart around. You really can meet your needs in Portland without a car, and for a person with no small children it would even be easier.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:19 PM

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification, K-Luv, and for your comment as well, genmomto5! That's exactly how I was hoping Portland would be.

I look forward to spending a few days up there soon-- to get a feel for the place.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:39 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
Bookw0rm,
I think the Old port area is fine without a vehicle, but Portland is a pretty big place. Lots of the areas rely on public transportation to get from point A to point B. A car is not necessary, but convenient. I know some folks who live in the Old port area. Parking is an issue there if you do have a car. There is a parking garage there that has free parking on weekends. They put their car in there and only take it out on weekends if they need to run to Target or Walmart or whereever. (put it in on a weekend and only take it out on a weekend) That way they have covered parking, vehicle if needed, and mostly don't use the car. Yes, I agree that's not why people build parking garages, but there are plenty of cars living in that world.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Bookw0rm,
I think the Old port area is fine without a vehicle, but Portland is a pretty big place. Lots of the areas rely on public transportation to get from point A to point B. A car is not necessary, but convenient. I know some folks who live in the Old port area. Parking is an issue there if you do have a car. There is a parking garage there that has free parking on weekends. They put their car in there and only take it out on weekends if they need to run to Target or Walmart or whereever. (put it in on a weekend and only take it out on a weekend) That way they have covered parking, vehicle if needed, and mostly don't use the car. Yes, I agree that's not why people build parking garages, but there are plenty of cars living in that world.
Yes, Portland does extend beyond the peninsula, but once you get off of it you begin to tread into suburban territory. Well, suburban by Maine standards. There are businesses out there, but the only thing that I can think of that can not be found on the peninsula besides big box stores and Mardens are bowling allies and car dealerships.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Bookw0rm,
Thanks for your input, kellysmith. If I don't need a car, then this is an ideal place for me to relocate. I'm looking for a small city with all the basics available in downtown (grocery shopping, pharmacy, entertainment, library, restaurants, near the coast, et al).

After much reading (before posting on this forum), I got the sense that this was available in Portland. I got some confirmation on the board, which has been great. In a couple months, I'll be up there for a weekend for the final confirmation, hopefully (I currently live in Westchester County NY)!

Old 02-02-2008, 09:18 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
I think you can do it bookw0rm, your biggest issue might be shopping at the Hannaford downtown without a car, I see people get in cabs with their groceries, which can be a bit expensive. There is also a new Whole Foods in the Bayside area of town (speaking of expensive) that you may shop/eat at. Of course there's nothing that says you can't make friends with somebody who has a car and buddy up for that task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area