U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:55 PM

176 posts, read 516,904 times

Advertisements

I'm very excited for all the development and restoration work being done in Portland. Here are some of the projects I have found.

Proposed 8 story office building near the new Intermed building (pictures at page 48):

http://www.ci.portland.me.us/planning/pbmemobaycoofficebuildinggarage.pdf (broken link)

Homeless shelter for women;

http://www.ci.portland.me.us/planning/pbreportflorencehouse.pdf (broken link)

Subdivision next to the office building;

http://www.ci.portland.me.us/planning/pbmemobaysidesubdivision.pdf (broken link)

The Watermark;

Untitled Document

The Bayhouse;

THE BAY HOUSE, IN THE HEART OF PORTLAND'S NEW PORT

Oak Street Lofts (not sure about the status of this one, found in the Projects section)

Archetype Architects

Office Building on Commercial Street (not sure about the status of this one either)

J.B. Brown & Sons

25 India Street

25 INDIA STREET :: Exclusively Represented by Paragon Commercial Realty

The Watermark, office building, and 25 India Street are all particulary intriguing to me...let me know if you find any others!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 08:03 AM

7,156 posts, read 14,902,210 times
^you'll find a decent sized community and knowledgeable sources in this: http://www.archboston.org/community/...splay.php?f=23 forum if Portland development is your thing. It's an online forum for mostly Boston area development, urban planning, and architecture, but the "Greater New England" section has a strong Portland contingent. Lots of these proposals have been discussed thoroughly there, so I bet you'd find some good input.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:16 AM

Yea I am a member there but unfortunately it is not a very active forum

Old 11-09-2008, 10:48 AM

True. Most of the posts are by 3 or 4 members. But it tends to be more active when times are better. Even the Boston forum there is pretty slow. Many of the projects you mentioned are either still undergoing permitting (some haven't even made it that far) or are moving at a snail's pace or possible even on hold due to the current financial climate. This is the case almost everywhere else too. I would bet that once things start to turn around and the economy starts to shape up a little better that many of the projects you've listed will start to either continue or reshape themselves and there will be more to discuss.

Personally, I'm impressed with the number of proposals for a city the size of Portland. I just wish that some more would be proposed in the Old Port area. I think that's the focal point for the city and there are still WAYYY too many street level open parking lots and open space.

I'm happy that the Bayside area is undergoing some redevelopment. While I think that that Intermed and Bayside student apartments (which are trashed inside already) are architecturally weak and could fit into any suburban office park in the country, It's impressive that the area is now being utilized for development. Hopefully the newer proposals will be better, but positive development there is a good thing.

I wish the architecture of many of those proposals would be a bit more inspired (though, I do like the proposal for the 8 story building in Bayside). It seems many of them are using that precast brick look with other flavor-of-the-month trends to try to play on the brick construction commonly found in Portland. The intentions won't work though. The quality masonry of the older buildings will outshine and outlast the precast junk on the new constructions. Many of these new buildings will seem dated within a decade. I've been horribly disappointed with the complete disregard for pedestrian interaction and the crappy first floor architecture of the new Wishcamper Center at USM and the new Library additon. The Wishcamper Center's best features (Including the name of the University) are intended to face drivers passing by on the highway, not the people utilizing the property!

I am glad that there is interest in Portland for economic development and it's good for the city. I just wish more people would brush off a little the excitement of new development and push for better quality in the construction. You'd be surprised at how much even a small, vocal group can accomplish.

Last edited by lrfox; 11-09-2008 at 10:58 AM..

Old 11-09-2008, 12:31 PM

Yes I agree with everything you said ! The buildings being built around Marginal Way, I think, should be more pleasing to the eye. There are two right now (AAA and I'm not sure of the other) that are very boxy and uninteresting. The Intermed building is nice but yes, it does look suburban. And I hope the Bayco building is built. The parking garage is oval which is interesting and the office building itself has a nice metropolitan look to it. I was very disapointed when they rejected the proposal for this building;

Portland Maine condominiums, Maine luxury waterview condos

In the Old Port, what is up with that grassy "public art" with the metal waves or whatever they are? It doesn't look great. I hope they do something else with it.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:47 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,761,378 times
About 7 years ago a big shot developer who bought and moved to Hope Island(I think) proposed a massive hotel/convention center/condos for Portland. The model was pretty impressive. A 40 story hotel/convention center around Commercial St, a condo developement across Portand Harbor and some sort of tram connecting the two. It was way too big for Portland and was never embraced/supported by the city.

The City Hall is an interesting building and the Merrill Auditorium is beautiful.

Here is a poster I produced to celebrate the beautiful City of Portland
http://www.firstlightphotographics.c...&img=0#gallery

Old 11-09-2008, 07:15 PM

^There is some gorgeous architecture existing within the city; I just feel that many of the newer proposals for developments are rather bland and cheap looking. 40 stories is far too tall for the city of Portland though some little cities have some imposing, out of scale towers (see Empire Plaza, Albany New York: NEW York State Capitol and the Governor Rockfeller Empire State Plaza, Albany, New York on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://flickr.com/photos/28891370@N07/2698017351/ - broken link) ), but I think that would take away from the character of the city.

Nice poster, by the way... I've seen that posted elsewhere.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:35 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,761,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^NEW York State Capitol and the Governor Rockfeller Empire State Plaza, Albany, New York on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://flickr.com/photos/28891370@N07/2698017351/ - broken link) ), but I think that would take away from the character of the city.
I remember when that was built and they called it Rocky's Folly.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:34 PM

Great poster! Yes, I believe that 40 story building was called Lincoln Center or Lincoln Sqaure or something?

Old 11-18-2008, 05:51 PM

I saw some pictures of the hotel in Bayside, it's looking great so far. Anyone hear about the pier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or