Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 09:55 AM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times

Advertisements

Portland's crime rate is NOT misleading. In an earlier post someone mentioned it was off, because Portland has a 65k population. Portland is talied amongst the rest of the U.S. in the same standards (per 100,000 people). It is the biggest city in Maine, so therefore it is going to attract more of the people who want to cause trouble. (i.e. oldport can get a bunch of out of town drunkards.) Needless to say, it's generally not somewhere where you are going to feel unsafe. There has been a surge in diversity, illegal immigrants, Somolians, and new laws have been made to protect homeless in Portland. The city is very liberal. Either way, crime stats are are NOT as important ..as you safe you FEEL in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 05:02 PM

11 posts, read 37,915 times
Default What about the area of 189 Park Avenue?

Does anyone know if this is a safe area to live and walk in (daylight only)? Also - I may be moving there from a long lifetime in Florida and I am wondering about how things work in places with real winters. According to Citystats, the average high temp in Portland in the winter is 22. Do people go out when it's 22 degrees? I mean, if I have warm clothing, will I be able to walk to a store (I don't drive) or just take a walk when it's that cold outside? Or do people stay indoors until it warms up? Any advice would be so very much appreciated - essential under and outer garments, types of boots, hats, gloves, etc. I am totally ignorant about staying warm and happy in truly cold climes. Thanks in advance for your time!!

Old 10-04-2006, 08:31 PM

423 posts, read 1,930,513 times
Do you mean Park Ave or Park St.? Both are right in downtown Portland pretty much. Yes, it is safe to walk around them. Park Ave. is a busy street though. There will be many random people walking along that street- it doesnt really have a sense of a neighborhood. Park Ave. is right accross from deering oaks park on the plus side. Park st. is quieter and nicer- its just apartments buildings pretty much lined up and down the street. People do walk around in 22 degree temperatures- just dress appropriately and you will be fine.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:40 AM

11 posts, read 79,632 times
The city of portland is small and then there is south portland. The trouble is that the drug problem is real and it's such a small area it doesn't matter if you are on the west end or east end of portland, people can walk over. I looked at a rental once in west portland and I was asked for three months plus I was told I couldn't hang any pictures or curtains myself. This was for a tiny one bedroom and rent was $1000/month. For an area where it's not safe for a single woman to walk around in at night.

It's not all that.

When I am in Boston I can go anywhere at night as there are police stations everywhere and the streets are well lit and wide. In Portland there are many side streets that are not cleaned off in winter and are dark all the time. It's like being in a dark, cave with a lot of homeless.

Also a city that size really shouldn't have homeless people! The city really doesn't care about jobs, that might be a start to give people something to do other than stand on street corners in the middle of the night for no reason.

I'm not saying it's a good city but I don't want to pay to have anyone standing outside my window at night working at their night job.

People who love Portland Maine are usually born in Maine.

I'm just realistic about what I would pay. Unless the job is really good be sure to be careful about buying anything in Portland. You will have a hard time finding any single women who want to live there. I would rather live in Kittery, Yarmouth, Falmouth, Portsmouth if I had to in that area again.

Italylover

Old 10-05-2006, 10:21 AM

I've never felt unsafe walking around anywhere in portland alone at night. I dont think I would be able to say the same thing about Boston, where people give you intimidating stares nearly everywhere, even at the subway terminals. If you look at someone the wrong way they might threaten you. It is very scary compared to Portland.

I think Portland and Maine in general is a "homeless" friendly state, thus we actually attract alot of seasonal homeless people. In the summer there are many more homeless people here than usual, and I notice the same ones coming back each year. The reason is because Portland has good soup kitchens and shelters. Also, in Maine you can get nearly any bottle returned for 5 cents- so this draws a homeless population.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:29 PM

Default I'm feeling a bit more confident now!

tkx7 - The area I may end up in is around 189 Park Avenue (not Street) and when I looked it up on Yahoo Maps it did appear to be just across from Deering Oaks Park. From what I have read (including your post here) it does sound like an extra nice park. Even safe since one person reviewing the park was a mother of a young child and she liked taking the kid there so I figure it must be a safe park, as safe as parks can get of course. How nice to know you consider the area to be a good one! Also, thanks for letting me know that people do indeed go out when it is 22 degrees, that is a comforting thought for me because I do enjoy my walks and would really hate to give them up for months on end. Thanks so much for your help!

Old 10-05-2006, 04:04 PM

Like I said though, it will be busy and there will be random people at all times of day and night. Crime does exist in the more interior sections of the neighborhood in regards to drugs or domestic issues perhaps, but it is rare for there to be violent crimes. It is definitly a more urban lifestyle than elsewhere. Probably the most diversity in Maine is around the area. There is a nice swing set at the park for parents to bring their children as well as tennis courts and basketball courts. The pond is frozen over in the winter to go skating on too. I could probably take pictures of the area sometime later on if you are interested.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:41 PM

tkx7 - There is a good photograph of Deering Oaks Park here on Citystats - did you see it? Or maybe you submitted it! I have never even SEEN people skating on a frozen pond so that will be a new experience right there! Is the pond lighted for nighttime use? I come from southeast Florida, Palm Beach County, so I am used to crime and homeless people. Granted I've been in a very tiny rural and safe community for the past nine years but I think I was probably vaccinated for life with the "be wary" attitude after 40+ years in PB County. I think I will be fine on Park Avenue, the more I read about Portland the more I hope to move there. I even have a couple of down coats that I bought in 1990 when I thought I was going to live on Great Cranberry Isle (but then chickened out)! Thank you again for your help and time!!!

Old 10-06-2006, 02:23 PM

Default Portland Safe?

ItalyLover - so do you mean to say that you would not feel safe walking anywhere in Portland day or night? Thanks for your input!

Old 10-10-2006, 03:57 PM

17 posts, read 140,809 times
Hi Mark S, I grew up in Scarborugh, which next to Portland, and absolutely loved it. I live in Tucson now and would love to move back. Scarborough is a wonderful place to raise a family and the school system is great. No complaints.
Portland is a beautiful city and I know the schools are good there as well. Deering High School is also great. It all depends on what you want. Portland is more "city", Scarborough more "suburb". Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area