Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 01:44 PM

89 posts, read 260,803 times

Advertisements

I was looking at these apartments in South Portland near the mall.
South Portland apartments - Redbank Village

Here are the questions I have-

1.It seems like a good deal however is it safe and nice or on the trashier side?
2. I see on Google Earth that it is near Western Ave and 295 - The bus only comes by till like 9pm on the weekdays and 6pm on the weekends. Is there a fast way to get to downtown by bike?
3. Overall what do you thing of these townhouses?

P.S. If you know of any 2 + bedrooms apartments/houses/townhomes in Portland, South Portland, or further out for under $900 please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 02:23 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,327 times
I've looked at them and they aren't bad for the price. The biggest issue is traffic. They are right off of exit 3 on 295. Rush hour is awful.

I live on Congress St in Portland. The apartment above mine was just refinished. It is a three bd for $900. Comes with a parking space (sort of) and nothing else. Cats are ok. It is available now to good quality tenants only. The building is an old two story with converted attic (2 bd apartment.) I live in the first floor, and have the same fllor plan as the one available. I like it. There is fresh paint and partial new floors in the one available.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:48 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler85 View Post
I was looking at these apartments in South Portland near the mall.
South Portland apartments - Redbank Village

Here are the questions I have-

1.It seems like a good deal however is it safe and nice or on the trashier side?
2. I see on Google Earth that it is near Western Ave and 295 - The bus only comes by till like 9pm on the weekdays and 6pm on the weekends. Is there a fast way to get to downtown by bike?
3. Overall what do you thing of these townhouses?

P.S. If you know of any 2 + bedrooms apartments/houses/townhomes in Portland, South Portland, or further out for under $900 please let me know!
1) It's certainly safe. There's nothing unsafe about it. It's by no means an upscale or elite area (many of the 1 bedrooms are older military housing stock, the 2+ bedrooms are newer), but it's nice. I believe Port Property Management runs it (they own a ton of properties) so pay real close attention to what you have to pay for in addition to rent as they are known to nickle and dime you.

2) You can get from here to downtown Portland within 10 minutes.... it's a very short commute. dubthang mentioned rush hour traffic. While in the afternoon heading home, this exit (exit 3) is a little slow (not stopped, but slow traffic for about 1/4 mile due to a traffic light at the end of the offramp), I would hardly call it terrible. IMHO, it's about as bad as it gets for Portland, but that's not saying much. This complex is right off the exit too so you won't get stuck at too many lights. Rush hour "traffic" is next to non-existant in Portland (though as with even the smallest towns, there is a higher volume of vehicles on the road just before 9am and right around 5pm). While it'll be a little slower on your return commute from downtown, it'll make the drive 15 minutes instead of 10... nothing at all that should deter you from picking this area if you otherwise like it. The idea of traffic in Portland is relative... while it's as bad as it gets in Maine, most cities in the U.S., even those as small as Portland, have it FAR worse. I'm sure that coming from a city like Minneapolis, you'll get a kick out of what is considered "bad" traffic here. I also don't know about biking into town from here... it would be difficult to say the least.

3) The units themselves (particularly the two bedrooms) are nice actually. It's a real suburban area so you have a little yard (you share with the adjacent unit which is attached to yours). I like that most are two levels. The first floor is a kitchen/ living area. The kitchens are actually pretty big in proportion to the rest of the unit, but this is so you can fit in an ample sized dining room table. Upstairs you have a bathroom and two medium sized bedrooms. The way they're set up makes it feel like you have more space than you actually do which I like.

If you're looking to rely on your bike or the bus, this is probably not the spot. It's geographically close to downtown, but not easy to either walk or ride a bike. If you are going to go through Port Property Management, take a look at their Mill Company Gardens Property in South Portland, I like it a bit better and the costs are about the same (they nickle and dime too). It would be easier to bike from here into town (though still a trek) than it would be from Redbank.

I'd suggest getting in contact with H.H. Sawyer and Daughters Realty and let them know what you're looking for. They worked with us and although we ended up renting elsewhere (due to time constraints), they were VERY helpful and had the most competitive prices I've seen. They'll also tell you when certain apartments that aren't currently listed will be available (which is helpful since you're considering moving in during the summer)and what they'll rent for. Here's there link, I'd suggest emailing or calling them and letting them know your situation: H.H. Sawyer Realty Company and Daughters - Apartment Rentals

good luck!

Old 02-10-2009, 04:11 PM

89 posts, read 260,803 times
Wow thanks!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,180 times
Are you able to rent with bad credit here?

Old 02-20-2014, 03:30 AM

470 posts, read 1,841,235 times
Going out on a limb here, mamamia, but have you called the property and speak to a leasing agent? Ask what are the requirements to rent, i.e., type of credit history...I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but you'll get a direct answer. Maybe you can explain the blemishes on your credit report and they may be more open to rent to you. But its not a guarantee. Good luck! BTW, there's a Portland area "for rent" page that I found on facebook; you may want to give them a shot. Again, good luck in your search.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:44 AM

48,115 posts, read 21,994,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechappells View Post
Going out on a limb here, mamamia, but have you called the property and speak to a leasing agent? Ask what are the requirements to rent, i.e., type of credit history...I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but you'll get a direct answer. Maybe you can explain the blemishes on your credit report and they may be more open to rent to you. But its not a guarantee. Good luck! BTW, there's a Portland area "for rent" page that I found on facebook; you may want to give them a shot. Again, good luck in your search.
Excellent advice!

Mamamia....this is the second time I have heard you ask about "can I rent with bad credit?" I think you need to work on rephrasing that question and have answers ready for the obvious questions. When I read your post, I couldn't keep myself from answering in my head...."Heck No; why do I need to get stuck and have to end up evicting you for non-payment of rent!!!"

BUT I do realize there could be many circumstances that lead to bad credit.....eg bankruptcy; divorce; severe illness and lack of insurance....etc.

My suggestion is to be honest and up front and never be even a day late in paying the rent....once you have a rental.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:58 AM

137 posts, read 272,723 times
Redbank is okay.

It's a lower working class neighborhood. I don't know about credit checks but I know they accept subsidies, so maybe if you give them a call, they'll work with you. The woman who works in the office, Rebecca, is wicked nice. I don't know Holly as well.

It's in a decent school system.

There is a small playground and a daycare.

It's pretty safe. There are a lot of families there.

The units are pretty decent. 2 bedrooms upstairs....it's a good fit for a 3-4 person family.

Some units (or maybe all) have washer dryer hook ups and a private basement.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:12 AM

137 posts, read 272,723 times
Also, WRT downtown:

Do you mean downtown Portland or downtown South Portland? They are 2 distinct cities....south Portland is not is not the southern part of Portland, it's a seperate city that sits south of it.

Downtown Portland would be iffy to bike to. Main Street south portland is about a 10 minute bike ride, mostly uphill w/sidewalks. The mall is fairly close but in the other direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area