U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 AM

4 posts, read 16,792 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the Dog Man of Portland? His name was David Koplow...and he was around in the 80's until they took his dogs away? A friend and I were just talking about him and I was looking for more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 6,913 times
Default Dog Man

I remember him but I don't know anything about him.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:24 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,021,564 times
I sure remember him.

I worked in the Old Port in the 1980's. Sometime in the very early morning I would see him walking around Commercial Street. If I recall, you could often hear him talking to his dogs.

Whatever happened to him? I bet Al Diamon would know.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:50 PM

I seem to remember he left town when he was told he couldn't keep his dogs anymore???

Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 PM

2,302 posts, read 3,880,994 times
MLM Law - Lawyer Grimes & Reese PLLC - Attorney Specializing in Multilevel Marketing - Maine v. Koplow 476 A.2d 1155 (1984)
FAQ

Old 03-04-2009, 11:08 AM

42 posts, read 104,641 times
For some reason stuff like this fascinates me. I am not old enough to remember the Dogman but I found this with a quick google search:

'Dogman' Raising Portland's Hackles - The New York Times

Sounds like he was fighting with the city quite a bit. That article is about how he fought to have the waterfront zoned so no residential property would be built there, but he lived in a metal shack on the water so didn't want the zoning to apply to him. I emailed an older friend of mine who said this about the Dogman:

"I remember that DOG-man! He was FAMOUS! There were ARTICLES about him, court cases, he was a MAJOR cause célèbre (in Portland standards of course) and everybody in town knew him! And how could you NOT?! Here was this disheveled geezer who looked like he hadn’t shaved, or bathed, in three wks, always wearing the same grimy blue pants and blue shirt, leading a band of AT LEAST half a dozen dogs…probably more. And the whole time he was BARKING at them: “MISSY! GET OVER HERE!!” yeah, it was a strange scene: HE was doing the barking, not the dogs!! Never sure where the dude lived…rumor had it he slept under the wharf. He sure LOOKED like a vagabond, but I wanna stress, the guy was NO hippie! He wasn’t some fruit-pie new-wave type..he was a hardened, grizzled water-front character who happened to find comfort in the presence of…dogs. Come to think of it, that guy was one of a kind…"

Man what a trip. I wonder where he is now.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 PM

Man what a trip. I wonder where he is now.[/quote]

That's what I was wondering...where is he now??? I do remember there being t-shirts "Save the DogMan".....wish I had bought one!!

Old 03-06-2009, 08:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,021,564 times
An update on DogMan from Al Diamon :

"Koplow appears to have left Portland for good sometime in the early 1990s. I haven't heard anything definitive on his location, although a Press Herald story from 1991 quotes then-Police Chief Michael Chitwood as saying he thought Koplow was in Boston."

Btw, check out Al Diamon's blog at Downeast.com. Al has been around for a good long time and has a firm understanding and grip on politics and life in Portland and Maine.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,601 times
Default dog man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officefan64 View Post
Does anyone remember the Dog Man of Portland? His name was David Koplow...and he was around in the 80's until they took his dogs away? A friend and I were just talking about him and I was looking for more info.
I remember him I grew up in Portland and Munjoy Hill area and the Old Port area....Naomi

Old 04-28-2010, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,100 times
he used to visit the president of canal bank, scott hutchinson. He was a former tradesmen, maybe a welder at Bath Iron Works--His dog family was Butch's family--Butch was the oldest dog. He seemed to have eyes in the back of his head, and corrected the dogs as they were walking. Never on leash. No pooper scooper--he would scoop with his hands--at least that is what he told me. i used to talk to him across from Tommy's park--dogs never had fleas, used garlic as flea control. he was actually articulate, but a little off in his reasoning--used to write 10 page letters to officials about whatever set him off, like the scooper law. he ended up with just one dog i think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area