U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:32 PM

86 posts, read 138,672 times

Advertisements

Moving from the west coast to Maine, what would be the best month(s) to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 02:02 PM

5,404 posts, read 9,451,811 times
In terms of what?

The weather is best from June-October, but it's not too tough to move in the winter (in fact, summer heat can be brutal when you're moving in).

Rents? Rents seem to be a bit higher for apartments available in June-September. This is likely because of higher demand (college students) during these months. Apartments available after September seem to be a bit cheaper due to lower demand. It really has nothing to do with quality of places available during those months. This is merely my observation from experience and not based on any particular data point.

Other than that, what else concerns you?

If it were me, I'd move in during October. This way the temperatures are comfortable, the rents will likely be a bit better, and the tourist rush has slowed a bit. It would also give you the opportunity to experience the winter before the summer which will likely be a good measuring point of how well you can adjust to the different climate (though it won't be AS extreme considering you're coming from the Pac NW).

Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 PM

I was talking about in terms of driving weather. Some months have more storms then others.
I would wait till Oct but as it stands I'm being laid off in May and just enough money to hold out till mid Aug.
My fiancé is from Portland, think she has storage connections with friends for free and proably got a place or 2 to stay till we get setup.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:36 PM

357 posts, read 558,635 times
i think, if you get laid off in May and have no plan to stay where you are right now and definitely want to move to Maine, best time to move is in May.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:40 PM

5,404 posts, read 9,451,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
i think, if you get laid off in May and have no plan to stay where you are right now and definitely want to move to Maine, best time to move is in May.
I would second that. Weather in Maine should be fine for a move in May. I wouldn't be concerned.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:42 PM

Last time I moved was in 94 from S. Calif to Seattle in Sept. Wee bit hot for sure, but was used to it.
It was exciting to move and now I'm getting pretty excited about the possibility of this move.
Might be early to mid-June when I move.
Probably will do 4-5 days to get there..

Old 04-13-2009, 03:44 PM

4 posts, read 8,287 times
April and May are really the best times to move. It's prior to tourist season which can last until October so there is less traffic (not that it's often a huge problem but it can be if you are moving intown), the weather is typically quite pleasant and you'll be settled before the great weather comes so you can enjoy it fully.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:17 PM

167 posts, read 250,736 times
If you plan to camp along the way, you might want to move as soon as you can to avoid the summer rush at the campgrounds. This is especially true in the national parks. Enjoy your drive over the rocky mountains and also check out the badlands if you have time... what an amazing part of the country that is.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:01 PM

34,206 posts, read 11,423,280 times
We moved from Southern California to Maine a year ago; traveled the last of March and moved into our new house in April.....that worked out very well for us.....but May might have been easier as we wanted to avoid storms thru the midwest so traveled across texas--diagonally across texas...and that is a lot of texas.

I don't think I would move in the winter.....other than that....I like spring but anytime is a good time to move to Maine, as far as I am concerned. Right now would be ideal....great weather...tourists arent here so not bad traffic....beautiful.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:15 AM

7,508 posts, read 14,642,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffie View Post
I was talking about in terms of driving weather. Some months have more storms then others.
I would wait till Oct but as it stands I'm being laid off in May and just enough money to hold out till mid Aug.
My fiancé is from Portland, think she has storage connections with friends for free and proably got a place or 2 to stay till we get setup.
The Mid West tends to be stormiest during the summer. Tornado season is from May to June or so, but thunderstorms happen often throughout the entire summer. Now, I am not talking about some puny drizzle, but full on down pour with thunder that makes you wonder if the end of the world is happening. It can last for five minutes or for five hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area