U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-27-2009, 10:36 AM

85 posts, read 113,984 times

Advertisements

RedBank is really close to airport and Juvinel Detention Center. Not bad area, but look a little more. There are some better places around MMC and So. Portland. Good luck!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 04:53 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,253,009 times
[quote=lrfox;10357550]Hi! Welcome to Portland (can I say that if I don't live there anymore?).

Now, as far as locations to live go, there is no such thing as a "Bad" or "Dangerous" Portland neighborhood. Bayside is a bit run-down and industrial, but that's about as bad as it gets (trust me, REALLY not bad). Furthermore, Portland is small enough that it gets "burbish" (almost rural in spots) within the city itself."

I have lived and worked all over Portland over the last 15-20 years. This just is not true anymore, sorry to say. It USED to be true. Now, there are parts of the city I would be careful of, especially if I had kids.
Portland is NOT what many would like to imagine it is, safety wise.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:30 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,469,660 times
Growing up in South Portland in the 80s, Munjoy Hill was NOT a place to hang out . I guess it's changed? And same for Redbank -- I recall that was low income housing? And Ferry village in SP?

Old 08-27-2009, 07:28 PM

12 posts, read 16,987 times
I seem to remember that same attitude about Munjoy Hill, lawmom. I think it's a text book case of gentrification, though. It's certainly safe, but it now boasts a couple of yuppie cafes, and good luck finding affordable rent.

Interestingly, I met someone down here in Kentucky who lived in Portland in the 80s, and she says she remembers seeing prostitutes and drug dealers on Congress street. I laughed when she said that, because I thought she was kidding. She wasn't. I guess it was a lot different back then.

I dunno, maineguy. I lived in the Portland area for my entire life (except college) until a year ago and I'm having trouble even remembering hearing about local crime on the 11:00 news, much less feeling unsafe myself. There are certainly low-income and run-down areas of town, but you can walk through them and no one's going to bother you. I'm female and in my twenties, and I never once felt unsafe walking around Portland at night by myself, including the East End and downtown.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:35 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,469,660 times
Yes, parts of Congress street were less than savory, as I recall.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:53 PM

5,401 posts, read 9,446,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post

I have lived and worked all over Portland over the last 15-20 years. This just is not true anymore, sorry to say. It USED to be true. Now, there are parts of the city I would be careful of, especially if I had kids.
Portland is NOT what many would like to imagine it is, safety wise.
Then where are the bad parts? I spent years living in what was considered by people in the area (most of them living outside the city) considered to be "bad" (right near Congress at St. John). It wasn't beautiful, but certainly not dangerous.

I think it's mostly perspective. Many of the people who tell me how dangerous a neighborhood in Portland is really have never been in a "bad" neighborhood. So they assume that lower income and homes that aren't pretty equate to dangerous ("sketchy" is usually the word of choice).

Where's the crime? Look at the data... Portland ranks extraordinarily well. There was no area where myself or my girlfriend felt even moderately uncomfortable walking even in the middle of the night.

Most people who tell me the crime is so bad have nothing to back it up. The statistics certainly don't.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:05 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,699,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Then where are the bad parts? I spent years living in what was considered by people in the area (most of them living outside the city) considered to be "bad" (right near Congress at St. John). It wasn't beautiful, but certainly not dangerous.

I think it's mostly perspective. Many of the people who tell me how dangerous a neighborhood in Portland is really have never been in a "bad" neighborhood. So they assume that lower income and homes that aren't pretty equate to dangerous ("sketchy" is usually the word of choice).
Where's the crime? Look at the data... Portland ranks extraordinarily well. There was no area where myself or my girlfriend felt even moderately uncomfortable walking even in the middle of the night.

Most people who tell me the crime is so bad have nothing to back it up. The statistics certainly don't.
Sketchy and ratty seem bad enough for me. There are places in Portland where recent large (2000-3000 persons) population influxes have made the areas a focus by the police for increased criminal activities. I HAVE seen these reports increase markedly on the news over the past four years or so. I know some carpenters who have worked in these areas who tell of chickens being raised in kitchen cabinets, property destruction, drug abuse and other strange goings on. Increased police calls and beefed up patrols are a pretty good indication that some of these neighborhoods while perhaps not "bad" by inner-city Los Angeles definitions may be less than desireable for a professional working at Maine Medical Center. Safety is as much a feeling of comfort as it is hardened security apparatus and "pretty good" crime statistics. If you don't feel comfortable in a place you will not like living there.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:27 AM

293 posts, read 446,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

I don't think Portland is a ghetto, but I can tell you in the 5 months I have worked here my truck has been broken into once and I have seen multiple other (5 to be exact) windows smashed on vehicles with contents removed. I haven't seen any other crime (other than arrests), but there are a bunch of scum bags that inhabit the city.

I think that city-data lists Portland's crime rate higher than the US average in 2007, or am I missing something?

It is a nice city, but not exactly Shangri-La.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:27 AM

567 posts, read 1,152,515 times
Portland is what you make it. There are 'rougher' areas, but there is no place here that I would be afraid of walking through at any time. That said, I would have some concern for kids and women in some areas at night. My concern is, I believe, the normal male concern that any guy has for women and children at night. According to the news, it is actually males that seem to have the worst luck when it comes to crime around here.

The scum of the city seem to prey on easier targets. It all comes down to the way you carry yourself. Don't zone out to your ipod or cell phone at 2am while walking through shady areas. Be alert and confident, and you'll be fine.

As Winter approaches, a lot of the crime will vanish. Areas like Bayside, Grant St, and the west side of Munjoy Hill all get better as the homeless, the hookers, and the dealers are less active. Also school is in so many of the 'trying to be cool' kids aren't out at night.

Portland is a mix of urban. suburban, industrial, and rural, but it is still a city. Be smart, and you'll be fine.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:38 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,253,009 times
I'm not going to argue..........I don't blame peole for wanting to "cheerlead." I do it all the time myself. But tell the OP the truth! There ARE good areas of Portland, where there is little crime, to be sure. There are 4 or 5 bad areas, with pretty high crime (Bayside, Munjoy, right downtown around the Old Port, some places over by Grant Street.............those come to mind).
Here is what's new and sad in Portland:
There are now actual gangs in the city. Not true 10-20 years ago.
Used to be, there were TOTALLY safe areas (like the West End). Now, some horrific crimes have shattered that fact. Really bad stuff is more random now, and can happen anywhere.
Criminal elements from away have targeted Portland, when the heat got too hot in Mass/NH/CT/RI or whereever. IT's prosperous, people trust, and there's little competition. So it's going to get worse.
I walked all over the West End and every other part of town at 1 a.m. too (both drunk AND sober lol). Like the poster, I lucked out too, but had a few close calls. The key word is LUCK.
(There is 10 or 20 times more chance of running into trouble on the streets of Portland at 1:00 am than there is in my current town. That's just a fact. I DO like to take walks at midnight!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area