U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:52 PM

128 posts, read 22,909 times

Advertisements

Looks for good schools, nice parks, family fitness centers, good restaurants, and homes with a little elbow room for privacy. My range is the low 400s...
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 07:43 AM

157 posts, read 348,432 times
The areas I like are Laurelhurst to Mt Tabor. That's from 20th, Glisan to Belmont, to 70th Burnside to Division. In Mt Tabor, Glencoe is the elementary school, Mt Tabor and Bridger are the middle schools. All were nice schools. Beyond that, I wouldn't recommend anything south until Pleasant Valley or Happy Valley.

Lents is a so-so neighborhood, 92nd and Stark until Division.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic_Twit View Post
The areas I like are Laurelhurst to Mt Tabor. That's from 20th, Glisan to Belmont, to 70th Burnside to Division. In Mt Tabor, Glencoe is the elementary school, Mt Tabor and Bridger are the middle schools. All were nice schools. Beyond that, I wouldn't recommend anything south until Pleasant Valley or Happy Valley.

Thank you! What about NE Portland?

Old 06-20-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:

Laurelhurst is a great area, but expensive and out of my range. We drove by today and saw the beautiful homes and huge trees in front of the houses.
Also close to great hang outs and parks.

Will look into Happy Valley and Pleasant Valley this week.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:05 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,695,019 times
How important is elbow room, or lot size, to you?

Many places that fit your needs in the Hillsdale area I think. (Don't confuse with Hillsboro) look into the sidestreets off route 10, Beaverton-Hillsdale road. I think the prices in Multnomah village may be out of your price range, but worth a look. But may not match your elbow room wants. This is all in the SW Portland neighborhoods, Wilson HS district of feeder schools. Aside: this is heavy into blackberry cane country; canes can grow 10 ft in a few days, nasty thorns.

BTW: Portland and Multnomah County have high property taxes. As you head west along Route 10 you will cross the county line into Washington County, where the taxes are lower, thus you mortgage escrow will be lower. As expected, County services will also be lower, but that is another thread.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSC View Post
Laurelhurst is a great area, but expensive and out of my range. We drove by today and saw the beautiful homes and huge trees in front of the houses.
Also close to great hang outs and parks.

Will look into Happy Valley and Pleasant Valley this week.
How far did you venture from the park? I may have been too strict with SE but if you go up 39th past Glisan (technically NE) the closer you get to the Banfield, the less expensive they get. Head north from that stupid Joan of Arc (don't ask me what the heck that's for) circle and to the east and west on Multnomah are homes in your price range with the same style. They still call that Laurelhurst area.

If not, then heading up 33rd, you're going to get into the Alameda area. When you get to Grant Park on your righthand side, there are some nice homes to the west. The price ranges are all over the map. You can then go east on Fremont and anything south of Fremont between 33rd and 57th, and between Fremont and Sandy is a good area. The easy way to get to the middle is to go north on 47th from Sandy and when you hit the hillside, that's the center.

Maywood Park is on 102nd. Turn left on Skidmore puts you in the middle.

Otherwise the only other area I like in NE is north of Glendoveer Golf Course. Take Halsey until you see it on your righthand side. Turn left anywhere in the 140's and that's the area I'm referring to. I don't recommend the area south of the course. When you get to Summerfield or Summerplace retirement community, stop heading east.

I think you mentioned working in SE. To me, it would be way easier to live in Happy Valley or North Clackamas and head north, than to live in NE and head south.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:52 AM

Yes i think we are better off in Happy Valley or Clackamas area. Is the North part the best area?
Thanks...

Old 06-21-2010, 04:26 PM

508 posts, read 867,157 times
All of Happy Valley is Stepford

Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 PM

63 posts, read 148,654 times
Quote:

I beg to differ. Head anywhere south of Belmont and there are great neighborhoods. Check out Ladd's Addition, East Moreland, West Moreland, Sellwood, Woodstock, and Creston-Kenilworth. These are all great neighborhoods for families. I should know...I have lived in these areas with my wife and children for nearly 20 years.

You get older homes with more character, shops, restaurants and parks within walking distance, bike friendly streets, and an easy commute to just about anything.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonn8v View Post
I beg to differ. Head anywhere south of Belmont and there are great neighborhoods. Check out Ladd's Addition, East Moreland, West Moreland, Sellwood, Woodstock, and Creston-Kenilworth. These are all great neighborhoods for families. I should know...I have lived in these areas with my wife and children for nearly 20 years.

You get older homes with more character, shops, restaurants and parks within walking distance, bike friendly streets, and an easy commute to just about anything.
I have recommended Eastmoreland many times in other threads. There was some reason, either price or location, that made me metally cross those places off (probably mistakenly).

By the way, I grew up in the 80's at the Chinese Presbyterian Church on 44th and Woodstock before there was even a Woodstock area. It was just a Thriftway and an Artic Circle back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland