Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:40 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
I said that to describe a man who still has an interest in childish things (hello kitty/sesame street) - but, really, I was just brainstorming since that doesn't really make any sense.
Now more than ever I am reverting to those things. In these times, the things of my childhood are semblances of happier days. I was born in 1986, so the 1990's were kind of my golden years. So in that way, maybe I do have some Peter Pan inside of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 12:02 PM

506 posts, read 1,313,464 times
You're 24 and you think your "golden years" are already behind you? You've barely begun your life, what a depressing outlook.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
You're 24 and you think your "golden years" are already behind you? You've barely begun your life, what a depressing outlook.
This is what I meant to say. Those were the days before paranoia and fear permeated. I have barely begun my life. With that said, I feel like things were better between 1993-2000 than now. Part of why I look at alot of things from that time period as something to be cherished. The days before 9-11, the days where people weren't as afraid of each other.

I asked about the Hello Kitty/Sesame Street question because it does relate to Portland ranking dead last in "manliness". I wanted to know what a person like me might be thought of for liking the things he likes and ranking in terms of manliness.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:42 PM

Honestly, I don't see Portland being ranked dead-last in manliness as a bad thing. I don't identify my own manhood that way. I have to decide what it means to be a man. And to me, being an "alpha male" isn't for me. I am kind of like Joey Gladstone from Full House(though shorter, thinner, and African-American). There is a person that I know that has made a few efforts to turn me into an "alpha male". None of them have worked because I hold strong to who "I" am. Portland ranking dead-last in manliness? Okay then, define what you call manly. Define what makes a man a man. Me, what makes a man a man are his actions, not necessarily his hobbies and interests. I say courage and responsibility are among those things. I don't see having courage as an "alpha male" thing, but rather, something necessary to get through our lives. I have gotten away from trying to conform to "alpha male" and I go more for the things I have always liked.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:02 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
This is the funniest thread I've read in a while. The kind that makes you wish you could see what every poster looks like and also the room they're sitting in

Old 10-25-2010, 08:59 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
This is the funniest thread I've read in a while. The kind that makes you wish you could see what every poster looks like and also the room they're sitting in
It's probably best that we can't...

Old 10-25-2010, 01:08 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
No kidding!! **shudder**

(NO OFFENSE to the posters here, generally or specifically!!)

Old 10-25-2010, 01:23 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going...This was the one discussing the Manliest City survey commisioned by COMBOS--the hearty, pretzel and cracker snack made with real cheese, also the “Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR.” I believe part of the official reason Portland was ranked so low was that we have low sales of salty snack food(one of the prime determining factors of modern manliness).

Ha, but it has led to so much great humor on this thread...

Old 10-25-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going...This was the one discussing the Manliest City survey commisioned by COMBOS--the hearty, pretzel and cracker snack made with real cheese, also the “Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR.” I believe part of the official reason Portland was ranked so low was that we have low sales of salty snack food(one of the prime determining factors of modern manliness).

Ha, but it has led to so much great humor on this thread...
If the indicator of "manliness" was determined by the sales of COMBOS and other salty snacks, well, that isn't a very good indicator. It is hilarious, and yet, very ridiculous. I eat combos sometimes and I don't associate it with manliness or NASCAR. To me they are just a quick snack. Oh well, this thread did make for some interesting dialogue.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:26 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
I can't figure out what to make of this thread. I mean, on the one hand....that survey was either a really weird joke or else just used a horrible benchmark. It was completely worthy of laughing at it.

On the other hand....Portland *is* pretty chock full of guys I would hardly consider "manly" (my completely arbitrary metrics include being a fan of sports, into eating meat as opposed to being some weird vegan, driving something other than a Prius, not decking yourself out in sponsor-branded gear and hitting the road....on your bicycle, understanding the concepts of grilling, etc.).

I guess the study should be labeled "unintentional truth via poor science"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland