Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:45 AM

4 posts, read 12,054 times

Advertisements

Awww you snivelers who sing crocodile tears about maybe a week of fireworks! I bet YOU had memories of those times but don't think twice about stripping memories from today's children do you?! Yet, EVERY morning for 5 days a week for the entire year, we quietly do not complain about you leaving for work at 5am.. scrapping your windshield(or whatever you're doing out there!), reving your engine for what seems like an HOUR... until your gas fumes are reaking our entire home(especially during the summer when we have our windows open because it's hot! Yea, we don't have air-conditioning either and don't worry about robbers because my husband has a pistol & keeps a very careful eye out on our home & YOUR home(because you asked him to) throughout the year; hearing your car door slam because you forgot your purse, slam because you forgot your coffee, slam again because you forgot your crying kid,,, and maybe one more time because you forgot to feed the cat??? Then we hear your brakes squeak-squeak-sqeeeeaake out of your driveway... with a sputter & a sput and another couple of squeaks until you are finally... GONE! Get my drift? Happy Independence Day ONCE a year from your tolerant neighbors that allow YOU to believe it is YOUR day the rest of time!! P.S. - May we buy you an air-conditioner and a garden hose so that our grandchildren who visit once a year, do not have to hear us lie & say, "it wasn't us" to the police that you call on us every 4th of July?

Last edited by Checkin; 07-05-2010 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 10:13 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,464,751 times
Ah..... does anyone want to take a guess at what-the-frigg the above rant was all about?? I actally don't know anyone who leaves for work before 6:00am (and since this is Pacific time zone, that makes it what back east?)

Now that all the neighborhood's dogs and cats are thoroughly stressed out, and all the people have had a good fun filled time of loud bangs and flashes of light, I'm looking forward to see if Oregon allows after holiday discount tent sales of left overs. Weren't allowed where I came from (local fire marshal hated the idea of people stocking up on fireworks day after 4th, and storing fireworks till New Year's in their garages or wherever.)

Old 07-05-2010, 10:19 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,733,030 times
When I worry about things we're depriving future generations of, it would be things like the freedom to ride a bicycle around the block or go down to the park without armed parental supervision, or the freedom to find a job that doesn't involve saying "would you like fries with that?" The "right" to light off fireworks for a week doesn't even register on that list.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:31 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,733,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Ah..... does anyone want to take a guess at what-the-frigg the above rant was all about?? I actally don't know anyone who leaves for work before 6:00am (and since this is Pacific time zone, that makes it what back east?)

Now that all the neighborhood's dogs and cats are thoroughly stressed out, and all the people have had a good fun filled time of loud bangs and flashes of light, I'm looking forward to see if Oregon allows after holiday discount tent sales of left overs. Weren't allowed where I came from (local fire marshal hated the idea of people stocking up on fireworks day after 4th, and storing fireworks till New Year's in their garages or wherever.)

Via the edited quote, I suspect the poster had someone call the police on their fireworks display.

And, alas, I did have to be at work at 5am for about a year to deal with test data from a UK subsidiary.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
When I worry about things we're depriving future generations of, it would be things like the freedom to ride a bicycle around the block or go down to the park without armed parental supervision, or the freedom to find a job that doesn't involve saying "would you like fries with that?" The "right" to light off fireworks for a week doesn't even register on that list.
Oops, I think ya' may have missed your FIRST priority! Your freedom to beeotch!

Btw, nope! No police for fireworks for years... you're not MY neighbor anymore!

Old 07-05-2010, 10:52 AM

963 posts, read 3,021,233 times
What more patriotic measure for celebrating the birth of America could there possibly be, other than detonating small-scale explosives made in China?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:59 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,464,751 times
Just found this Op-ed from Local Portland Daily newspaper

Fourth of July: Trying to love a holiday made by guys, for guys | OregonLive.com

This is supposed to be slightly humorous... so lighten up a bit.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:03 AM

Yup, right along with that Made In China flag, no?!

Old 07-05-2010, 11:05 AM

Bonding time RULES! lol

Old 12-08-2010, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 7,725 times
Hahahahahaha thats hecka funny!!!! My dad got me $150 morter assortment from a huge tent in Oregon!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland