U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:02 PM

11 posts, read 12,393 times

Advertisements

I have been a slave to my car all of my life. Living in places (except my stint in Chicago) where you simply cannot exist without a car, and I am over it. Also, some of my savings for school are tied up in my car and so I will need to sell it to make this plan work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 PM

13,633 posts, read 10,784,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustontoPortland View Post
I have been a slave to my car all of my life. Living in places (except my stint in Chicago) where you simply cannot exist without a car, and I am over it. Also, some of my savings for school are tied up in my car and so I will need to sell it to make this plan work.
You can do this in Portland if you live in the right area. I have lived here carless for over 30 years and do just fine. The only time I ask a friend for a ride is when I have to take the cat to the vet. She and her carrier are too heavy to take on the bus and there is no bus that goes directly to the vet's office.

I also take cabs on occasion. They aren't cheap but a cab ride once and awhile is less expensive that the expense of owning a car. I used to have a neighbor who was also carless for many years. He would sometimes rent a zipcar if he wanted to go to the beach or some distance away.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:47 PM

I figure I will sign a six month lease and then review options once I am there. I am coming to visit/scout in early September and look for a place, meet with advisers at MHCC, etc. I will take a look at a few different areas. I might also decide to get a scooter and some chaps for the rain.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:08 AM

157 posts, read 350,398 times
Quote:
I am not worried about the "sketchiness" of Glenfair/East Portland. I live in Houston's third ward, the home of Dirty South rap. Glenfair will be so much less sketchy it may well be the safest neighborhood I have lived in for many years. Even Rockwood would be exponentially safer than where I am now (although I plan to avoid living in Rockwood). I know that transit is a time-suck, but if I am closer to Gresham than downtown, the commute should only be an hour to and from school each way, taking the blue line and transferring to the 20 bus in Gresham. And, really, if I would only need a car once or twice a month, then I don't need a car. Yes, it will be something of a pain to take the blue line closer to town to pick up a zipcar, but how much of a pain, really? Particularly if I only do it two to three times a month? Having lived in Chicago, I would expect to have to transfer to different trains and buses and I had already noted the lack of cross-towns. And I am pretty fit. Carrying groceries home on the train is not too daunting a task for a small bag or two, particularly because there do appear to be a few decent grocery stores right on the blue line.
I am not trying to be argumentative or pretend I know more about Portland than you do, but I am single, fit, and eager to walk a lot. I am used to horrible traffic, crime and commutes. All of those would be better in Portland than Houston, literally no matter what part of Portland I end up in.
However, if you still think Glenfair is a bad idea, I certainly want to hear more.
Living in Glenfair is not a horrible idea. It's just not a great idea compared with all your other circumstances. Plus you bring up Chicago which doesn't compare with Portland. Next you say you have to sell your car to finance your move which is another set of red flags.

Let's say you cut your shopping down to once a month at Costco (Sam's Club). You'd take MAX from Glenfair to the Pearl to pick up a Zip. Drive from Pearl to 148th and Sandy. Take the stuff back to your place in Glenfair. Drive back to Pearl to drop off. Then take MAX back to Glenfair. In the rain. If I posted a similar idea on the Houston forum, I would hope you would tell me it was a bad idea just because it's a bad idea. Not because you think I'm too old or out of shape to make it that far, which, I am.

My suggestion is still to move either closer to Portland or closer to Gresham. Especially coming from your background, I would want to get the best I could. I also wonder if Apollo College inside Lloyd Center would have the nursing program you're interested in. Your Portland car-free experience would be exponentially better.

Burnside between 128th to 162nd is going to rate around 6-7 on the COPS scale and 6-7 on the Juarez scale. 10 being the shirtless white guy head butting the backseat door window. 5 being able to walk past a guy on the street and not look behind your shoulder to make sure he's not following you. Burnside is also single lane which cuts down on the traffic noise, as well as the police and ambulance sirens since they prefer taking Glisan or Stark. Heading north to the neighborhood south of Glendoveer Golf Course moves the COPS scale to the 5-6 range and 4-5 on the Juarez. Heading south towards Stark moves the scales to the 7-8-9 range. And moving east toward Rockwood goes to the top on both scales. A growing Dirty South area is 102nd and Burnside and you'll pass them at the Gateway TC.

To closest shopping is Fred Meyer (Kroger's) at the Gateway TC along with Winco, or Safeway and Target at 122nd and Glisan, just north of the MAX stop.

Good luck.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:30 AM

508 posts, read 872,256 times
Good post sarcastic twit.

But wait a minute - is the OP actually accepted into the program at MHCC? I have a family member who graduated from that program a few years ago. Their grade point average was 4.0 going in, and they barely got in due to so many applicants. If the OP is already accepted into the program, that's one thing but moving to the area because one thinks they may be accepted in the future is risky.

I was driving through Gresham yesterday and Saturday, and remembered the OP's post. I was at Gresham Towne Center shopping center (near NWEastman Parkway/Division Ave). That area might not be so bad for living (it's the Gresham High School area), but convenience to grocery shopping could still be a little dicey. If you don't mind walking .7 to 1 mile to Safeway, there's a Rite-Aid there, there's a camera store with a good post ofice (full service) inside, there are some other conveniences there and in the general area, and it's close to downtown so that might be do-able.

But to move to Gresham before one actually attends MHCC, seems strange. If the OP is doing the prerequisite classes at MHCC that's one thing, but prerequisite classes can be done elsewhere in Portland (PCC). It's easy to get around Portland if you're closer in to the city, but the outlying areas are still slow.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:05 PM

My car was stolen from me at gunpoint two weeks ago at my front door. What is that? a 25 on the COPS scale? If a 10 is a homeless guy head-butting my window, I will be just fine. And if doing things in the rain is a problem for me, I shouldn't move to Portland in the first place.
I still have to talk more with the folks at MHCC to see whether I can make the program, but I have already completed about half of my pre-reqs with straight A's. I could do the rest of the pre-reqs at PCC downtown, but I think it would be better to start my relationship with MHCC as early as possible, for a better chance to get in to the program. Also, the Sylvania campus of PCC, where the nursing program is, seems way too far out and nowhere near the MAX.
I won't move to Portland unless I am fairly certain I can get into the MHCC program. And I understand you think it would be better to live closer to downtown, but I don't think there is enough in my housing budget to make that work. And I still don't see why the zipcar idea is a bad one. If I have to spend four hours, a couple of times a month, to do a big shopping trip in the Zipcar, it just doesn't bother me like it does you.
I have ZERO interest in living in Gresham proper, so don't waste your breath.
Some seem to have taken my ideas so personally. I understand these are not the choices you would make, but that doesn't matter to me. I have been on this earth for 40 years, and I can land on my feet. I don't mind living around poor people as much as some of you would seem to.

Last edited by HoustontoPortland; 07-12-2010 at 03:43 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Good post sarcastic twit.

But wait a minute - is the OP actually accepted into the program at MHCC? I have a family member who graduated from that program a few years ago. Their grade point average was 4.0 going in, and they barely got in due to so many applicants. If the OP is already accepted into the program, that's one thing but moving to the area because one thinks they may be accepted in the future is risky.

I was driving through Gresham yesterday and Saturday, and remembered the OP's post. I was at Gresham Towne Center shopping center (near NWEastman Parkway/Division Ave). That area might not be so bad for living (it's the Gresham High School area), but convenience to grocery shopping could still be a little dicey. If you don't mind walking .7 to 1 mile to Safeway, there's a Rite-Aid there, there's a camera store with a good post ofice (full service) inside, there are some other conveniences there and in the general area, and it's close to downtown so that might be do-able.

But to move to Gresham before one actually attends MHCC, seems strange. If the OP is doing the prerequisite classes at MHCC that's one thing, but prerequisite classes can be done elsewhere in Portland (PCC). It's easy to get around Portland if you're closer in to the city, but the outlying areas are still slow.
Thanks! There used to be a QFC right in there but it closed very shortly after opening. It was on the "outside" part of the Center closest to Eastman.

The best bulk shopping out that way is the Cash and Carry and Grocery Outlet around 200th and Division. Also there's a Dollar Tree on 181st and Division which is a bit bigger than others closer. Cash and Carry needs a membership, but it was still free a few years back. Both are on the north side of Division half a mile apart in between GTC and 181st (base of the hill).

Old 07-13-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
My car was stolen from me at gunpoint two weeks ago at my front door. What is that? a 25 on the COPS scale? If a 10 is a homeless guy head-butting my window, I will be just fine. And if doing things in the rain is a problem for me, I shouldn't move to Portland in the first place.
I still have to talk more with the folks at MHCC to see whether I can make the program, but I have already completed about half of my pre-reqs with straight A's. I could do the rest of the pre-reqs at PCC downtown, but I think it would be better to start my relationship with MHCC as early as possible, for a better chance to get in to the program. Also, the Sylvania campus of PCC, where the nursing program is, seems way too far out and nowhere near the MAX.
I won't move to Portland unless I am fairly certain I can get into the MHCC program. And I understand you think it would be better to live closer to downtown, but I don't think there is enough in my housing budget to make that work. And I still don't see why the zipcar idea is a bad one. If I have to spend four hours, a couple of times a month, to do a big shopping trip in the Zipcar, it just doesn't bother me like it does you.
Some seem to have taken my ideas so personally. I understand these are not the choices you would make, but that doesn't matter to me. I have been on this earth for 40 years, and I can land on my feet. I don't mind living around poor people as much as some of you would seem to.
I don't take anything personally. If you think moving from gun point to knife point is a step up, more power to you. You're the one that thinks alternative suggestions is a insult to your toughness. And the COPS comment was in regards to the type of people, not the type of crime.

Sylvania campus is easy to get to from downtown by bus. Downtown is easy to get to from MAX. If you can afford the $500-$700 a month in Glenfair, you can find a place in other areas MAX accessible. With multiple campuses you might be able to take most of your classes at a more convenient location than Sylvania. Plus you'd be in their system. But it's not an option, I got it.

MAX was supposed to lead to an urban renewal in East Portland but it never happened, but 148th and 162nd were both reconstructed by Multnomah County that widened it and added bike lanes. Hazelwood Station is right in front of a MAX stop and is one of the newest buildings in the area. It is also low income required which means a lot of 3-4 bedroom units for families. That means lots of children and potentially noisy, but yes I know, you can kick all their little as*ses one-handed without breaking a sweat. They are run by a management company so if you can't get in there, they should be able to direct you to other places that fit your need.

Address:
Northeast 147th Avenue
Portland, OR 97230-4254
(503) 257-8400

As a side note, the name Glenfair is not especially in wide use except for the schools in the area. Glendoveer or 148th and Burnside might get you better results for apartment searching.

Good luck.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:56 AM

48 posts, read 83,621 times
Quote:
OK tough guy.. You're the only one here taking advice personally.. Why even post here if you're just going to shoot down everything with such a **** poor attitude. If you have it all planned out as well as you think, maybe just do it?

Or better yet, stay in Houston.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,710,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcims View Post
....Or better yet, stay in Houston.
Isn't that a bit unfriendly?
The Original Poster is stressed out enough. This type of move would stress out anyone: trying to figure out about job training, new city, finding a place to live, unknown costs and expenses, and all the rest. Of course she is going to have stressed out postings. But, please, don't bark back.

You know, maybe Portland could use an extra trained nurse or two. The want ads at the Oregonian seem to have more than just a few nursing jobs advertised. The poster might like it out there on the East side of I-205. The culture out there would be a bit closer to parts of Houston than west of I-205.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland