U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-13-2010, 09:52 AM

11 posts, read 11,545 times
After the snide crosstalk about me but not to me, I got a little snarky.
And the ****-poor attitude seems to be coming from the locals, not me.
But I have now identified the trolls on this site and know who to ignore.
And all the advice I get to stay away from poor people and areas with low-income housing, along with the COPS comments make Sarcastic Twit seem like a Republican. And I never take advice from Republicans.
And Phil did you call me "she" because you thought I was a girl, or because you figured out I am a gay man?

Last edited by HoustontoPortland; 07-13-2010 at 10:37 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 12:09 PM

508 posts, read 795,578 times
What the hell HoustoninPortland. You came on here asking for advice and then you criticized the people who took the time to help you. Sarcastic Twit wrote a long, nice thoughtful post - who cares what his politics are?? And others chimed in as well. I'm a liberal - and a nice one. I'm sure Sarcastic Twit is a nice person too. But facts are facts - Gresham has a gang and a violence and a crime problem - Deal with it! People of all political persuasions are hip to the Gresham situation.

Maybe you should reconsider moving to Portland if you've got such a knee-jerk attitude. This is a pretty laid back area! Or is it the heat and humidity in Houston that is getting to you?

**By the way, are you familiar with this site's use of "OP"? It means "Original Poster" and it quite common on here. We were not "cross-talking about you." It's just how it's done on this site. I was new to it too when I first came on here.**

Last edited by pathrunner; 07-13-2010 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: add clarification

Old 07-13-2010, 12:32 PM

PS a heads-up... the relative who graduated a few years ago from the MHCC nursing program has had to stay with the job they got right out of school because the options/deals out there aren't any better than what they've already got, and the number of opportunities aren't really there to begin with these days.

I'm not sure why you asked about Gresham and then stated that you didn't want to move to Gresham proper. Perhaps you realized that Gresham is really just a very generic boring suburban city with problems like every other city.

I used to live in Hollywood (ending two years ago) and had the last best deal there. It's very expensive to live in Portland anywhere on your own, but without a car expense you'd probably be able to swing it. I say Hollywood because it's right on the MAX line. Otherwise you'll spend all your time on buses that stop at every corner.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:14 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,479,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustontoPortland View Post
...And Phil did you call me "she" because you thought I was a girl?
Sorry, my bad.

I do have a problem with posting what I think I wrote, not what my fingers typed. If you read many of my posts, you will realize I post long winded posts that are composed almost stream-of-conscience. This do infuriate many who read these threads (length, long sentences, difficult to comprehend parenthetical comments, and my spell checker is linked to British Oxford Dictionary since I use Linux with Firefox browser, not Webster's Dictionary, and so on.)

I should have tried to double checked my post one more time, and please accept my apologies for any implied insult; it was not meant to be such.

Phil

Old 07-13-2010, 03:54 PM

11 posts, read 11,545 times
Well, my point is, if you have questions about the OP's motivations/plans - ask the OP. Instead of cross-talking to someone else on the thread in a really snotty and insulting way.
"wait a minute: Is the OP accepted...?" Seems rude, as if you are talking past me to someone else on the thread instead of just asking me about those things. It seems passive-aggressive, and nothing tries my patience more than that crap.

And about Gresham, most of Gresham is not MAX accessable, it is bus accessible. If I live on a bus route I know myself well enough to know I will isolate when not working or in school. If I live on a rail line, I will be much more likely to get out and about. I will go anywhere I need to on a bus, but for me, I should live right near the actual rail line and transfer to buses.

And Phil, You are not the first to call me "girl." It is an occupational hazard of being gay. And you have not even met me!

Last edited by HoustontoPortland; 07-13-2010 at 04:26 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 PM

The reason I did that is that I see that's how it is done quite frequently on other threads. Sometimes, believe it or not, an OP will start a thread and forget to come back, or decide not to come back. Obviously you gave no indication that you weren't coming back, but it still seems a little knee-jerk to me. Nevertheless, I apologize for giving you the impression I was talking over you or about you. It was completely unintentional. But really, you should have realized that, given the fact that I came back here several times to give you feedback to try and assist you.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:47 PM

HoustoninPortland, I revisited this thread just now and re-read some things... I cannot believe you referred to people on this thread "trolls" for trying to help you in their own manner and style! It seems you were referring to me and Sarcastic_Twit, and that is just completely unfair. I should have alerted your post for calling us trolls but to be honest I didn't think of it because INSTEAD I answered your post in a calm and reasonable and clarifying manner.

In my opinion you are a very touchy person. You're also more than a little ungracious. Do you have very much experience with message boards? This is a damn nice one compared to most others out there, with nice people on it. If this is how you treat people who try to help you, how do you treat your enemies? Sheesh.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:47 PM

13,192 posts, read 9,244,592 times
HoustoninPortland, very often people come here asking questions but when they do not like the answers they become unhappy with the replies. Many here do not think yours is a good idea because of the logistics. If you do not want to take their advice, which I think is being given in with an idea of helping, that's your choice.

By all means come to Portland and live the way you choose. But if people don't think it is the best way don't get angry with them for expressing their opinions.

When I first moved to Portland I had an image of where I should live; how to get from point a to b and all that especially because I am carless. It took me several tries and several neighborhoods to get it right. Where I wound up was not an area I would have ever thought in the beginning I would want to be. Yet I found everything I needed and have lived in the are for over 20 years.

And I would like to add my two cents on the bus/vs rail issue. You said you would rather live near a rail and transfer to a bus. Do you know which buses and which areas you would be to which you would be transferring? I bring this up because not all rails will lead you to buses. You would have to check out TriMet's Trip Planner to find your connections and depending upon where you want to go, it could be very limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland