U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-18-2010, 11:51 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,114,019 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if a speed train to Seattle is in the works? I heard a rumor that there were plans for one and the commute time would be only one and a half hours one way. This would be great for the economy. Our tech workers could work a shorter week taking the train to jobs in Seattle, for example. This would be great for healthcare workers, too. Workers on the East Coast work in one state and live in another so why not PNW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 04:32 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,672,057 times
Don't hold your breath for this to actually become a done deal.

Plans are one thing, but actually building high-speed rail lines (separate from freight lines) is a whole 'nother ballgame. Currently, in the summer of 2010, the voting public would revolt against any congress that passed a multi billon dollar railroad bed land purchase and track laying of high speed rail line in the PNW.

Unless you have actually lived on the East coast, it is difficult to comprehend just how much more effective on a passenger per mile a high speed rail line connecting the major East Coast cities would be for Amtrak. Portland -Seattle - Vancouver BC is pocket change (passenger wise) to Amtrak when you compare it to the DC-NYC and intermediate cities passenger usage.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 PM

474 posts, read 769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Don't hold your breath for this to actually become a done deal.

Plans are one thing, but actually building high-speed rail lines (separate from freight lines) is a whole 'nother ballgame. Currently, in the summer of 2010, the voting public would revolt against any congress that passed a multi billon dollar railroad bed land purchase and track laying of high speed rail line in the PNW.

Unless you have actually lived on the East coast, it is difficult to comprehend just how much more effective on a passenger per mile a high speed rail line connecting the major East Coast cities would be for Amtrak. Portland -Seattle - Vancouver BC is pocket change (passenger wise) to Amtrak when you compare it to the DC-NYC and intermediate cities passenger usage.
Sure, when you compare it to the NE corridor. But in the PNW there is a lot of support for Amtrak & for a future high-speed train. Even with the fact that all of the trains have to pull over to let freight trains pass there is high ridership from Eugene to Vancouver, BC. The Obama administration has already earmarked money to get started on a number of high speed rail corridors around the country.
We voted to put in a bullet train between SF & LA & I can't wait! I take Amtrak whenever I can and the trains are always at capacity. I think the chance of a high speed train in the PNW are very good.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:40 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,672,057 times
Yes, local support is high, and I an eager to be proven wrong.

Just I don't see the anti-tax fever allowing any construction on high speed rail to start in the next 3 years. Oh, how I wish I were wrong.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:45 PM

Yes, Philwithbeard, I actually have lived on the East Coast and have taken the Amtrak more times than I can count. I heard a rumor and was asking what others thought. I am glad to hear that there's more to this than just a rumor. Will cross my fingers. Thanks, Puerco for your info.!

Old 07-19-2010, 01:21 PM

5,682 posts, read 4,545,667 times
A high speed rail link between Portland and Salem should be established before a high speed link with Seattle. Capitalism begins at home.

H

Old 07-19-2010, 02:16 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,234,941 times
The Eugene-to-Vancouver corridor is one of the areas selected by the High-Speed Intercity Passenger Rail Program of the Federal Railroad Administration. More details here:

High-Speed Intercity Passenger Rail Program

Old 07-21-2010, 04:21 AM

860 posts, read 1,889,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Does anyone know if a speed train to Seattle is in the works? I heard a rumor that there were plans for one and the commute time would be only one and a half hours one way. This would be great for the economy. Our tech workers could work a shorter week taking the train to jobs in Seattle, for example. This would be great for healthcare workers, too. Workers on the East Coast work in one state and live in another so why not PNW?
Just curious (and not trying to sound rude) but have you ever been to the PNW? Portland and Seattle are a solid 175 miles apart and at the moment, that's a 3 1/2 drive (if you're lucky) and a good 4 1/2 on the train. This isn't like people living in New Jersey and commuting to NYC everyday...the west coast is much more spread out than the East. Those who grew up out East sometimes have a hard time understanding just how spread out it really is.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:55 PM

To Rosecitywanderer- Yes, I live in Portland. I don't take your question as rude. I am curious why you are so surprised by my question since a high speed train to Seattle from Oregon is in the planning stages. I received very good info. on this thread. You should check it out!

Old 07-22-2010, 02:21 AM

860 posts, read 1,889,776 times
I've heard of the high-speed rail plans including one to go down to Los Angeles. If memory serves they want to run it through Lake O so the Union Pacific line going through Milwaukie (which is already seriously congested) can be reserved for freight. However the folks in L.O. aren't too happy with this idea.

We'll see how it pans out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland